Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Famous Sligo People

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

SligoBrewer.... your 'I got a little sick' comment was all sorts of odd and added absolutely nothing to an already pointless argument. You're already outweighed here by a pretty large number of people so let's leave it at that!

Back on topic please.

Neil Jordan is probably the person I most appreciate born in Sligo (but I am a big film fan). Sorry WB, Tabby and ummmmm.. Westlife!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Agreed re: back on topic-ishness.

I didn't know that Neil Jordan was a Sligonian until recently. :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

Ski McGee the last Sligo born player to play international football for Ireland at a senior level. Professor Drumm or would he be infamous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Gillie wrote: »
    Bit much isn't it?
    What's your beef with O'Hara?:confused:

It is no with O'Hara, its more with the GAA in general.

Where is Albert Reynolds from? I know he went to Summerhill but is he from Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Tommie Gorman,
    Mark Scanlon,
    Sandie Kelly and the Duskie sisters,
    Ted Nealon,
    I'd love to say Dustin the turkey was but he's from just over the border (Tullaghan I heard)
    and last but not least.....mmmmm, the delicious sexy Aine Chambers DOES deserve to be on this list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Michael Flatley?
    Ok I know he wasn't born here but his family are from here.
    Also who could forget The Conway Sisters?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

magnumlady wrote: »
    Michael Flatley?
    Ok I know he wasn't born here but his family are from here.
    Also who could forget The Conway Sisters?:D

Flatley is fae Chicago, Reynolds is fae Roscommon.

As an aside O'Hara is notable/famous after all he was on the All-Stars list which is achievement - winning the Connacht title on the other hand isnt much of an achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

We'll O'Hara isn't.

Marc McSharry famous? Please!:rolleyes:

What about Alderman John Jinks who saved the 1927 government from collapse by not turning up to vote? Its supporters got him plastered, then poured him onto a train back home.

Tabby wasn't mentioned yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tabby wasn't mentioned yet..
    Sure about that?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Albert reynolds is from Longford. Daniel Day-Lewis is the son of poet laureate Cecil Day-Lewis, born in Ballintubbert, Co.Meath. I think it gets mixed up with Ballintogher, and in actual fact he has no link to Sligo.
    Marc mcSharry is barely of note in Sligo. He's so far from famous I'll take that one as sarcasm.
    Not mentioned so far is Lord Palmerston (British Prime Minister 1855-58) born in london but who's estate and country seat was Classiebawn in Mullaghmore. Another north Sligo person of note is Lola Montez (a good local name:)) born Elizebeth Gilbert. she was an actress and dancer in the 19th century and mistress to King ludwig of Bavaria.
    Michael Corcoran of Ballymote was bolonel of the 69th regiment of the U.S. army during the civil war, prompting mayor Bloomberg of New York to unveil a monument to him in his home town in 2006.
    Other people with slightly more tenuous links include Spike Milligan whose father was from Holborn Street where Spike visited his grandparents for holidays. Another even more tenuous is Ronan O'Gara, whose father is from Ballysadare (O'Gara's Garage if you remember it) and whose family originated in Riverstown. He was born, however, in San Diego and grew up in Cork so that doesn't really count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

il gatto wrote: »
    Lord Palmerston .

Of course he was a far better Prime Minister than Pitt the Elder:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Unless I am mistaken Bob Geldof was born in Sligo and has a holiday home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think you're mistaken. From his Wikipedia:
    Geldof was born in Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland, to Roman Catholic parents.

Not forgetting yer wan that was in Bellefire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Agreed. O'Hara is still well known amongst most Gaelic Football fans. Mention Sligo to a non-Sligo GAA fan and the first name that pops into his/her head will nearly always be that of O'Hara. That means that he fits the criteria of this list, IMO.

Pending the age of the non-Sligo GAA fan he/she would probably mention Mickey Kearins, 1960s Sligo superstar!
    Also Albert Renyolds was born in Rooskey co. Roscommon afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

What was the name of that mental man who used to go around town trying to direct traffic? (Think he might have passed away recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

If believe Bono was born in Sligo and has a holiday home there.

What was the name of that mental man who used to go around town trying to direct traffic? (Think he might have passed away recently)

Sounds like "Straightback" to me

• Advertisement

I remember him, bless him. When we first moved here I thought he worked for Quinnsworth and was following his directions to park.

We still have the fella with the umbrella that hops out in front of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

gustavo wrote: »

Ah yes, the memories are coming flooding back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

magnumlady wrote: »
    We still have the fella with the umbrella that hops out in front of the cars.

Haha yeah, he is so funny.
    He is nicknamed Pat Spillane.
    One of my mates has a picture of him, I will try and get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

gustavo wrote: »

He died a good few years ago...

Now we only have that guy who shouts "YEAAAYYYY!!!" and plays air guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

gucci wrote: »
    Pending the age of the non-Sligo GAA fan he/she would probably mention Mickey Kearins, 1960s Sligo superstar!
    Also Albert Renyolds was born in Rooskey co. Roscommon afaik.

Actually now that you mention it. Albert Reynolds is from Roosky. I was sitting near him at a removal there about 6-7 years ago and somebody told me he was from there. I'd always associated heim with longford because of the dogfood factory. Seemed like a nice enough guy. I didn't get the aura of smugness, slime and arrogance I used to get in Bertie's presence.
    Nace O'Dowd was a highly regarded GAA player in his day. And there's a woman who lives in Sligo called Noelle Middleton. She is a retired actress and starred in movies in the 50's and 60's with people like David Niven, Katherine Hepburn, Bob Hope, John Mills and Michael Caine.

[Palmerston also served as British Prime Minister from 1859 t0 1865.quote=il gatto;55599885]Albert reynolds is from Longford. Daniel Day-Lewis is the son of poet laureate Cecil Day-Lewis, born in Ballintubbert, Co.Meath. I think it gets mixed up with Ballintogher, and in actual fact he has no link to Sligo.
    Marc mcSharry is barely of note in Sligo. He's so far from famous I'll take that one as sarcasm.
    Not mentioned so far is Lord Palmerston (British Prime Minister 1855-58) born in london but who's estate and country seat was Classiebawn in Mullaghmore. Another north Sligo person of note is Lola Montez (a good local name:)) born Elizebeth Gilbert. she was an actress and dancer in the 19th century and mistress to King ludwig of Bavaria.
    Michael Corcoran of Ballymote was bolonel of the 69th regiment of the U.S. army during the civil war, prompting mayor Bloomberg of New York to unveil a monument to him in his home town in 2006.
    Other people with slightly more tenuous links include Spike Milligan whose father was from Holborn Street where Spike visited his grandparents for holidays. Another even more tenuous is Ronan O'Gara, whose father is from Ballysadare (O'Gara's Garage if you remember it) and whose family originated in Riverstown. He was born, however, in San Diego and grew up in Cork so that doesn't really count.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This thread might be more successful if it were called "famous people who went to Sligo." :)

Patrick J. Mc Carthy from Geevagh.

As a young child, he left with his family on board a coffin ship to Boston. He lost his parents and two brothers on Deer Island as a result of a typhus epidemic and was left with his only brother to fend for themselves.
    To make a long story short, This boy from these humble beginnings became Mayor of Providence, Rhode Island in 1907.

The Star journalist Paddy Clancy

• Advertisement

Does Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones live in or around Sligo, coz I'm sure I saw him today.

Advertisement