Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the cheapest electricity provider right now?

• 20-01-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Moving house and considering moving electricity provider. Any good deals going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you're a light user, sometimes the company with a higher unit price but a big joining bonus can be better value.
    Switch every year if you remember.

I'm not sure who's cheapest, I usually check switcher.ie and similar websites.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its entirely down to your usage, you have to use bonkers or similar to get the figure. Moving this to A&P anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Current usage my not reflect future consumption. Moving from B2 rated well insulated apartment, to a bungalow with a much larger floor area and an E1 rating so consumption will be much higher.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its entirely down to your usage, you have to use bonkers or similar to get the figure. Moving this to A&P anyway.
    November and December just gone, just under 500 units used. 8000 units in the past 3.5 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

November and December just gone, just under 500 units used. 8000 units in the past 3.5 years.

You'll need to put them in to switcher.ie or bonkers.ie; nobody here is going to know exact amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

L1011 wrote: »
    You'll need to put them in to switcher.ie or bonkers.ie; nobody here is going to know exact amounts.

I put all my utilities recently into bonkers.ie I am with same supplier over a decade pure bloody laziness to change.
    For pig iron i checked out would there be any point moving. There was very little difference in prices not enough to justify moving it came down to like about 70 euro a year. Seems a bit of a cartel the whole utility business here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I put all my utilities recently into bonkers.ie I am with same supplier over a decade pure bloody laziness to change.
    For pig iron i checked out would there be any point moving. There was very little difference in prices not enough to justify moving it came down to like about 70 euro a year. Seems a bit of a cartel the whole utility business here:rolleyes:

I was the same in terms of not being too bothered changing. Did it recently there though, should hopefully be a saving of about €270.
    Moved to a discounted deal with bord gais who I was already with.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

accensi0n wrote: »
    I was the same in terms of not being too bothered changing. Did it recently there though, should hopefully be a saving of about €270.
    Moved to a discounted deal with bord gais who I was already with.

Oh you must have done the 2 year Electricity and Gas deal I actually did that too when I enquired. Did you get the Hive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Oh you must have done the 2 year Electricity and Gas deal I actually did that too when I enquired. Did you get the Hive

Mine was a 1 year contract, no Hive. Discounts were 25% Electricity, 24% Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Bonkers.ie have a good comparison tool of all the suppliers including any special deals, free smart home kit, cashback etc

Beware of low unit rates as quite often the standing charge on the same plan is a ripoff, you need to take all charges into account and the comparison tool does that.

If you don't have usage figures you can go with the national average.

• Advertisement

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Bonkers.ie have a good comparison tool of all the suppliers including any special deals, free smart home kit, cashback etc

Beware of low unit rates as quite often the standing charge on the same plan is a ripoff, you need to take all charges into account and the comparison tool does that.

If you don't have usage figures you can go with the national average.

Signed up with Iberdrola through bonkers in the end. Same rates as with Iberdrola website but €25 back.

Advertisement