Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unicorn Hunters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I was actually speaking about when you humoured her by telling her your sexual preference

Erm... Nope.

Or you could have been polite and refused to answer and say something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I don't really feel comfortable discussing this with a stranger"

How is it mysoginistic? Because a man said it to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Ironicname wrote: »
    I was actually speaking about when you humoured her by telling her your sexual preference

Or you could have been polite and refused to answer and say something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I don't really feel comfortable discussing this with a stranger"

Have you ever been put on the spot like that? It's something that used to happen to me in school. You sometimes have a reflex reaction to things. It doesn't mean I was all that comfortable with it. And, quite honestly, that line you suggested sounds like something you'd hear a telephone machine saying.

How is it mysoginistic? Because a man said it to you?

Women can be misogynistic too. But, yeah, in this particular thread, it seems to be two or three guys trying to convince me into thinking this behaviour is just fine when directed at people who are not open to it. In fact, my dating profile specifically says no unicorn hunters and no polys - as I'm monogamous - but that don't stop them messaging me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Have you ever been put on the spot like that? It's something that used to happen to me in school. You sometimes have a reflex reaction to things. It doesn't mean I was all that comfortable with it. And, quite honestly, that line you suggested sounds like something you'd hear a telephone machine saying.

Yes. I have. I have been propositioned and asked sexual questions that I didn't want to answer.

My reflex reaction is never to divulge information I was uncomfortable with divulging and then complaining about it after the fact.

How can you expect someone to know any advance (which by your story, didn't happen as you weren't propositioned) would be unwelcome if they were willfully engaging in a conversation which involved sexual preferences?
    Women can be misogyonistic too.

Yes. But telling someone that a person asking or attempting to chat them up isn't a bad thing isn't mysoginistic. In any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

How can you expect someone to know any advance (which by your story, didn't happen as you weren't propositioned) would be unwelcome if they were willfully engaging in a conversation which involved sexual preferences?

I was there, you were not. I know how I was made to feel by the end of the conversation - when I did decide it was time to get away from them. I speak to lots of people everyday who don't make me feel like that. Instincts are something I listen to.

Women can be misogynistic too. But, yeah, in this particular thread, it seems to be two or three guys trying to convince me into thinking this behaviour is just fine when directed at people who are not open to it. In fact, my dating profile specifically says no unicorn hunters and no polys - as I'm monogamous - but that don't stop them messaging me anyway

Two or three PEOPLE have not tried to convince you of anything.

From my reading, the only thing that this person did that was in any way unacceptable was to ask your sexual preference. You answered that question so the not unreasonable presumption was that you may have been comfortable in continuing the conversation.

You assumed you were being propositioned and people have explained that as there seemed to be a level of engagement from yourself, it may not have been clear it was unwanted and therefore rather than being offended, you should look at is as a positive. You gave no indication that you would not be interested.

Your attempt to brand this as misogyny (the hatred or prejudice against women) is baffling. Where the hell did anyone even indicate that thinking?

Anyway, bizarre choice of words, bizarre story in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

MOD:: Okay, I think we're done here.

The OP had asked "If anyone else has experience of this kind of crap, you're welcome to share." – and in 35 responses, not a single person has.

JTF – I'm sorry you had a bad experience with that couple but this forum is not your personal blog. Aside from that closing remark, there was precious little that was open to discussion in your opening post. And this is a discussion forum. Please don't post a rant like this again.

Everyone – stop picking apart and questioning people's experiences. Not responding is always an option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement