Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Economics101

No doubt this will be used by Mick and Clare and Boyd-Barrett and Paul Murphy to further muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jesus but that's a dumb take by the Times.

A) We've been hearing for the last 16 months that Russian ships and Chinese ships and any ship can freely transit the EEZ as it is NOT territorial waters. Why would the yanks be any different?

B) Are they trying to tell us that Defence "sources" are having a problem with a ship that the DFA and God knows many other agencies in fact CLEARED TO OPERATE OUT OF CORK HARBOUR??!!

C) They know full well the Government have all but admitted outright that we will need help to protect undersea infrastructure and that we will be cooperating with the EU and NATO Countries and Militaries on precisely that!! I mean feckin hell, if they think an auxiliary survey ship like Virginia Ann is bad, wait'll they hear about the CBGs and the Virginia-Class nuclear attack submarines that are all out there too!!

Dumb, misinformed handwringing and pearl clutching and whatever sub-editor passed it for publication should be mortified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I'm surprised myself when I saw who the author was. He is usually better informed on these matters, however as said elsewhere if it focuses the shame lamp on Government then ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nothing I have seen in recent years in the media and have personal knowledge of has even vaguely resemblance to the truth, the media won't let the truth get in the way of what they want to portray

• Advertisement

Any updates on the MRV it seams to have gone quiet the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭sparky42

I wouldn't think so. It could be that the design recommendation from Houlders has been received, or will be soon, but the Government is keen for a bit of daylight between the security forum at the end of this month and any such announcements, which may be seized upon for false propaganda by the tankies.

In any case, the go-ahead for the MRV is an important tool in recruitment too, as well as in the Commission implementation for conversion to the 'Navy' and the revised command structure and expansion of role.

We aren't short of money either, so really there is no good reason it would be delayed by the Government / DoD. In fact the biggest risk to delivery will likely be finding a yard with an early slot.

Given it’s history of “protracted” procurement I’m firmly on a “assume the worst” position, I’ll be happily surprised if/when an order happens but I’m not holding my breath. Given what it might be I wouldn’t think yard space will be the crunch tbh, hell if we wanted o we could go outside EU and get South Korea to build it fast and cheap. Hell Japan are now offering a “MRV” type that includes RAS capability. There’s not really anything in what we want that is a showstopper in procurement, just the utter lack of willingness to invest in the NS.

In other news, I see Denmark (not hugely different to us in population/economy), as part of their significant ramp up of spending is considering regenerating their Submarine capability…

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭mupper2

I'm with Sparky here...I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Any chance that underwater R.O.V. Interoperability will be more of a thing , for the new multirole vessel , ?

With increased surveillance/ inspection of pipelines and cables a current issue , ?

I still think a multirole oil field services style vessel would probably suit well ,

Built for rough conditions , able to hold station well for divers or rovs , plenty of carrying capacity, emergency towing capacity, and what ever roles could you fit in standard shipping containers , for carrying people ,electronics or vehicles .

might not look look very "navy " though ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

What does 'Navy' look like in the 21st Century?

The days of bristling gun platforms are gone, naval vessels are now a platform for remote operation of aircraft, air and undersea drones, missiles and torpedoes of all kinds and ranges, not to mention the digital technology to surveil, track and engage. Doesn't matter if you're a frigate or an amphibious assault ship or a carrier or a submarine. They are all platforms.

A vessel like the MRV offers range and capability to do much more than than the NS currently does.

And I wouldn't worry too much folks, a certain former Minister of State at Defence is an acquaintance of mine. Whatever about the primary radar coverage, the MRV is a very high priority for Ministers Martin, McGrath and Coveney. Investment in the Navy and the Base and the Maritime College, means investment in Cork Harbour and its towns and in the economy of all of Cork.

I fully expect a tender to issue this calendar year.

Nope,

But little point in announcing you are building a ship in a climate where you are unable to crew 4 others.

It's not dead, it's just moving at a glacial pace. Lead time is about 5 years, we need to see a reverse of current manning trends before we sign the dotted line.

The forthcoming deployment to Op Irini with EUFOR is a good start, but govt needs to make urgent positive decisions, if it wishes to see a functioning Naval Service by the time the next election looms. We were here, sort of, before, in 1971. Then we had crew but no ships. The lone Irish Naval presence at sea was an officer aboard a fisheries research vessel, armed with a revolver. Within 12 months we had 4 ships at sea. Within 5 years we had 7 ships (2 leased) with 2 more being built, and plans for a helicopter carrying vessel. The MRV is a long term project, its not just a navy one. The 3 arms of the DF want to see it happen.

Funding is not the issue, we already renewed the contract for the consultants. We could have drawn a line under it when their engagement lapsed before christmas.

Unfortunately we are approaching the situation where nobody on the original concept team will be serving in the NS by the time contracts are signed. Its potential captain has not had their first command yet.

Different role, other type of vessel could do this, possibly COTS painted grey. Priority at present must be crew though.

If it’s a combination of waiting till current trends reverse and a lead time of 5 years, then yeah I’m going with kicked to touch, happy to be proved wrong but no faith left in the process after everything.

In the past three years, the DF has put into service 6 new aircraft and 2 new ships, with the 4 OPVs less than nine years old.

That was all before the acceptance of the CoDF report and the commitment to budget increase.

Yes, manpower is a disaster, but it's not a chicken and egg situation. With a lead time of 3 to 5 years, the acquisitions of equipment must continue in parallel with changes in recruitment, retention and HR generally, if there is any hope of progress.

Besides, those same Ministers I mentioned earlier will also be very keen to have the tender out, back and awarded before the end of this Dáil, lest there be any chance of an SF led government wrecking the programme.

The reporting in the papers is saying this deployment has being taken very well by the naval personal and is for alot of the sailors there first time overseas.

Hopefully this will be a good success and a good retenation tool for the crews and will encourage them to stay for longer in the Navy.

Id say boarding a ship in the med will be a piece of p@ss for the crews compared to boarding a ship a couple 100kms of the west coast in the middle of winter

I have to say it is a challenge to remain optimistic, in the current situation, but as also I say we have been here before, and were much worse..

And how long did it take from identifying the need for replacement to actually ordering something, let alone the fact that all that procurement has basically been racing to stand still? Not too mention that at least some of those purchases are years later than originally planned. The MRV is meant to be in the pre Report Capital Plan, it could have been an easy example of actually putting money where mouths are had it been ordered last year and been used as something of a Retention/Recruitment tool, and again for what it is has any naval procurement spent so long since originally started and still not even got a contract? Its not a first of its kind cutting edge design, it really shouldn't be this hard or take this long.

Was last years increase above the rate of inflation? Will this years? At least one of those Ministers wasn't pushed enough to try and get anywhere last administration for example, so with all the other demands on Finance, I'm not holding out much hope for any significant jump this year.

Like I said, I will love to be wrong, but over 15 years of nothing but "its coming" makes me think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

IMHO the only show stopper for this MRV will be the manpower issue …. but to keep momentum up on the reform agenda I’d agree with others it will likely be ordered within the timeline of the life of the current Dail. Furthermore, the ability to monitor our water s is becoming an increased talking point amongst a section of the electorate and indeed I have heard in some cases it could be come an FDI issue … nothing more likely to get a politician moving is a bit of FDI …

• Advertisement

If it is related to FDI then the MRV isn’t the answer either, something like the new RFA hull https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Proteus would be the way to go, either way the timeline is closing fairly sharpish for going through the procurement process given how long we take.

Proteus is a COTS hull, which was in the oil business this time last year. NZ did similar, and we can too, for about €90m. But thats not the plan.

Comission and crew the IPVs first, then get the other OPVs back operational.

Any new hulls not already planned come after that.

MRV is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So what are the roles of an MRV ?

Cos that looks pretty damn multirole to me ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Long range ocean going patrol.

Defensive tracking and surveillance platform for air, surface, sub-surface.

Mission support to overseas deployment; vehicles, equipment, personnel in and out.

Helicopter platform

Command and control platform for overseas naval and land based missions

Humanitarian intervention,relief and evacuation; on-board medical and surgical facilities for servicemen or for survivors, space to accommodate evacuees.

It could be all of these task or none. The bare ship is only the beginning of the story, it depends on the flexibility of the modular fit out that is ordered by the client and it depends on the level of sensors, weapons and combat information technology specified.

But in general terms, they are supposed to provide some of the utility that would have taken 3 or 4 vessel types in the past; Amphibious assault, fleet replenishment, oiler, air defence frigate, hospital ship - though obviously not as good as any of those individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭mupper2

I know of some beardy lads who also see it as an opportunity for some of the stuff they do and future capabilities...

Tomorrow an OPV is going to the med to join Op Irini. It's probably the only vessel in Irini without a helipad or embarked Heli. This type of mission will become more commonplace in years to come.

While now we are participants, an MRV could give us capability to lead the mission.

It certainly could.

On that note, all the best to the Yeats and her fine crew on their landmark mission. May they have fair winds and following seas and not come home with too enviable a suntan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

Now that we have some nice boats, if we can man our best 4 and deploy them as follows.

Send 2 to the med to help ferry Isis sleeper cells to mainland Italy,

And the other 2 could go north, to see if the US Navy need a hand blowing up some more of the EU's vital pipelines..

If we had the MRV when intended the Med could have kept her permanently deployed for years at this stage, or Op Altantia. Either would have been a major tool for retention/experience/training with Allies…

• Advertisement

Advertisement