Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academic Positions

• 29-04-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am mindful that not a huge volume of traffic ventures to this forum, but thought I would post my query here nonetheless as it's the 'best fit'.

I recently completed my PhD and after taking some time off, I have commenced job searching.

However, I'm at somewhat of a loss on how to go about this process. :o

I endeavour to move away from the work I did in my PhD, as this area no longer holds a spark for me. I have many research interests beyond what I did in my PhD, but I'm really unsure as to how I can get into these different areas (I'd still be in the same discipline, just examining different subject matter); without getting too specific, my discipline is a health science.

My main ambition (eventually) is to get a lecturing position, but I have minimal teaching experience at present - and despite having a PhD, MSc, etc. - wonder will this lack of experience damage my chances of even gaining an interview for a lecturing position, let alone being successful.

I don't know whether to seek out only post-docs in the areas I'm interested in, and try and get established in a new field of research, before even considering lecturing roles or just apply for all/any academic positions, in the first instance - be they lecturing roles, research roles, etc - to try and get my foot in the door and see how I get on.

I have spent many years at university so this will be my first 'proper' job, and as such, I'm quite inexperienced as to the ins-and-outs of the current job market.

I am also very open to moving to where the best opportunities are, and would certainly not be against emigrating if the right job presented itself.

I guess I'm basically looking for advice on how to get on the 'academic career ladder' (granted I am aware that the career pathway is incredibly varied and not clear-cut). If anyone could maybe share their experience or recommend useful websites which could give me guidance on the process and/or offer advice as to where academic positions are advertised internationally?........I would really appreciate it :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Grants and publications are the most important factors to qualify for university posts after finishing your PhD, as well as for achieving tenure and promotion. Have you published any articles from your PhD in peer-reviewed journals? You should get one or perhaps two publications from your dissertation.

Post-doc positions are a grand way to acquire experience in the discipline you wish to pursue. It should be noted that many post-docs wish candidates to apply within 2-years of receiving your PhD, so don't delay in making several applications.

Networking with faculty currently in the discipline you wish to lecture in is a grand way to get invitations to apply for vacancies. Some of these faculty may also sit on search committees, increasing your chances for appointments. Presenting a paper at annual conferences held in your intended discipline is yet another way to get your name out and meet faculty. Write something up from your PhD to present.

Across the pond the best source for faculty vacancies is The Chronicle of Higher Education. The UK has a similar listing, but at the moment I cannot recall what his faculty newspaper is called. There are also sites dedicated to academic position searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks for the excellent reply, Black Swan - very insightful and gives me food for thought. :D

As per your advice, I guess I need to hustle and meet with other academics in my area. I also think I might get in contact with my mentor from my MSc who works in one of the research areas I’d like to get into - they might be able to sign-post my pathway to some extent. And perhaps venture in to the careers office in my former uni and see if they can offer some information.

While the path is unknown to me at this stage, I’m very excited. I was so exhausted after my PhD, and became very jaded with academia - specifically the subject matter of my PhD - that I needed a few months break. However, now I’m recharged and feel very much excited to explore new prospects :)

If anyone else has advice, please feel free to offer it - much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I also think I might get in contact with my mentor from my MSc who works in one of the research areas I’d like to get into - they might be able to sign-post my pathway to some extent.
    This is an excellent way to break into the field you wish to pursue. Looking back, my masters advisor was a PI, and had included me as a member of the teams on two past grant funded researches. In the first one I was just a "go-fer" (go for this, go for that), but it launched me in research. The second grant included me as an associate researcher, and I gained valuable experience and credibility for future RFPs and grants.
    And perhaps venture in to the careers office in my former uni and see if they can offer some information.
    This was also an excellent reference source. My former university built a profile file for me, including my CV, transcripts, grant reports, and 3 letters of recommendation that they would send to universities with faculty vacancies upon my request. It came from them, had been verified as to contents by them, and was quite impressive to university search committees. It helped me to achieve a semi-finalist position at 3 universities, which I later did my song-and-dance during search committee interviews with success.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Hi SmallTeapot,

I'm in a kind of similar position to yourself at the moment - I did my viva just before Christmas, got a temporary teaching position that's just finished, and am now looking for a "proper" post-PhD job. I'm fairly certain now that I don't want to go full academic (I really, really don't like teaching and the workload of a full early lectureship is just insane), but am still looking at post-docs and more research-focused positions.

In addition to the great advice above, there are a couple of websites you might find helpful. I'll put the links at the end of the message. In the UK, you can search for academic jobs (lecturing, just teaching, just research) through The Times Higher Education supplement and Jobs.ac.uk. The Guardian's job section also includes academic and research jobs- you just have to search a bit harder. Euraxess and academicpositions both have job postings from across Europe and further afield. Most of those websites also have career advice sections advice on how to navigate the job market. The Professor is in is another site that's quite handy for both the search and actual job applications - it's very US-focused, but does have some broader articles that I found useful.

Good luck with the search!

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/unijobs/
    https://www.jobs.ac.uk/
    https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/
    https://academicpositions.com/

http://theprofessorisin.com/category/how-to-write-academic-job-cover-letters/

Grand links bolgbui41.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Hi SmallTeapot,

I'm in a kind of similar position to yourself at the moment - I did my viva just before Christmas, got a temporary teaching position that's just finished, and am now looking for a "proper" post-PhD job.

Wow, thanks so much bolgbui41 :)

If I could thank your post 10 times over, I would - great advice/ links. Very much appreciated. Best of luck with your job search also :D

Advertisement