Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Thank you Pipmae and Newtown90. I thought you may say as much! My wife is an Italian coeliac (the cruelty!) and we make pizza and pasta a few times a week. I personally think the Schär Mix B Mix Pane (called Universal in Ireland) is the best flour for GF pizza dough but the Caputo which we tried once was also excellent. The Schär dough cooked in a rectangular pan comes out like a proper Sicilian Nonna pie :) Btw SuperValu is the only supermarket I know if that sells the Schär Universal Flour in the yellow plastic bag.

Sent you a PM LaLa2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Pipmae wrote: »
    I bought it on Amazon - my sister is coeliac. It's expensive though - I'm sure you must be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

Can get it in AdiMaria for cheaper than Amazon ,would have to use An Post AddressPal for delivery though

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/rice-flower/caputo-gluten-free-flour-1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

There is a similar product called Ember ovens headquartered in Limerick.
    Has anyone experience of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

If anyone has a referral code for 10 off please send it on.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

made first pizzas with the Ooni last night. They are amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

AidenL wrote: »
    made first pizzas with the Ooni last night. They are amazing.

Which ooni did you go for?

How was the base?

Thank you

How was the base?

Thank you

Koda 12" gas.

Base was lovely and crispy and the crust was nicely aerated, nice air bubbles inside. Have to make sure it warms up well and keep rotating the pizza when its in !

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

How was the base?

Thank you

I have a koda and there are two major factors that directly affect the base. The first is the temperature of the stone - if you don’t wait long enough starting or between pizzas, you’ll end up with a soggy Base.

The second is the toppings. If you overtop you’ll end up with a soggy centre and often burnt edges. A small scattering is all that’s intended.

Any of the ooni ovens will hit 430 degrees which is a magic number without burning the flour/semolina on the base

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I have a koda and there are two major factors that directly affect the base. The first is the temperature of the stone - if you don’t wait long enough starting or between pizzas, you’ll end up with a soggy Base.

The second is the toppings. If you overtop you’ll end up with a soggy centre and often burnt edges. A small scattering is all that’s intended.

Any of the ooni ovens will hit 430 degrees which is a magic number without burning the flour/semolina on the base

I agree, I heated ours for a solid half hour to be sure.

Also agree on the toppings, less is more.

AidenL wrote: »
    I agree, I heated ours for a solid half hour to be sure.

Also agree on the toppings, less is more.

For sure - 200+ pizzas later and they’re the key things. One other interesting thing is the amount of dough. It’s extremely difficult to get 12” out of 160g that ooni recommends, especially for a beginner. However, if you decided you were going to go 300g you will run into the same issue with overtopping - raw dough at either the centre or the middle of the cornicione.

Would love a koda 16, but it’s very difficult to handle/manage anything bigger than 12 inches!

• Advertisement

For sure - 200+ pizzas later and they’re the key things. One other interesting thing is the amount of dough. It’s extremely difficult to get 12” out of 160g that ooni recommends, especially for a beginner. However, if you decided you were going to go 300g you will run into the same issue with overtopping - raw dough at either the centre or the middle of the cornicione.

Would love a koda 16, but it’s very difficult to handle/manage anything bigger than 12 inches!

I was doing 10"ers, more square than circular last night ! :D

Only reason id buy a 16" is the two sided flame and just more space inside to rotate a 12".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Mine hasn't arrived yet... They said I was in the pre Christmas batch but it's obv stuck somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Mine hasn't arrived yet... They said I was in the pre Christmas batch but it's obv stuck somewhere

We "got" one as a Christmas present from our sons. It was supposed to arrive on December 18th but seems to be stuck in the Netherlands for the time being.
    I'm using the time to do my research on dough, methods and accessories. Could become an expensive present.

Mine is also coming from the Nederlands, expected now in March. It's probably on the same lorry as our Covid vaccines.

I'm using the waiting time to make charcoal. It's simple: I put sticks (cherry, apple) or bits of firewood in an old Le Creuset casserole pot and then put it in the red embers of the stove. It's vital that the lid is propped open with a nail or similar and as the gas escapes, it makes a lovely flame. Before bed I pull out the nail and shut down the stove.

Charcoal is lethal if burned indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The gas burner for the Karu is sold out at the moment which is a pain.
    Has anyone bought the perforated peel and is it worth it and also they infrared thermometer, is it really required?

The gas burner for the Karu is sold out at the moment which is a pain.
    Has anyone bought the perforated peel and is it worth it and also they infrared thermometer, is it really required?

IR thermometer is a must in my opinion, it’s guesswork otherwise to get correct temps for cooking different things and pizza styles. Get one from Amazon for 20+ quid just make sure it can do up to 550C

When I get a chance I will get a perforated peel, it’s much easy to prevent dough sticking etc due to lower surface area. IMO so far ooni stuff is worth the money so will probably go with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Talguetler wrote: »
    Thank you Pipmae and Newtown90. I thought you may say as much! My wife is an Italian coeliac ( the cruelty!) and we make pizza and pasta a few times a week. I personally think the Schär Mix B Mix Pane (called Universal in Ireland) is the best flour for GF pizza dough but the Caputo which we tried once was also excellent. The Schär dough cooked in a rectangular pan comes out like a proper Sicilian Nonna pie :) Btw SuperValu is the only supermarket I know if that sells the Schär Universal Flour in the yellow plastic bag.

Sent you a PM LaLa2004.

Hey - could you please send me the gf pizza base recipe please? Thanks

IR thermometer is a must in my opinion, it’s guesswork otherwise to get correct temps for cooking different things and pizza styles. Get one from Amazon for 20+ quid just make sure it can do up to 550C

When I get a chance I will get a perforated peel, it’s much easy to prevent dough sticking etc due to lower surface area. IMO so far ooni stuff is worth the money so will probably go with theirs.

Perfect, thanks Pete.... that kinda makes my mind up to go the whole hog.
    Has anyone used charcoal briquettes with the Karu and do you stick a log of hardwood on top just before cooking to get a good flame?

Perfect, thanks Pete.... that kinda makes my mind up to go the whole hog.
    Has anyone used charcoal briquettes with the Karu and do you stick a log of hardwood on top just before cooking to get a good flame?

No probs. :) FYI there is a great pizza oven thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057609472&page=99

A good few people with Oonis who might be able to help

• Advertisement

No probs. :) FYI there is a great pizza oven thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057609472&page=99

A good few people with Oonis who might be able to help

Perfect , I will have a look...
    I bought the 12’ Karu, cover, perforated peel and thermometer.
    I will get the gas burner when in stock and I was going to get the grill plate now but will wait and get it with the gas burner to get the free delivery

Well it looks like I owe Pete123456 another thank you as his advice pushed me to buy the Karu and some accessories last night and when I check the EU site now it looks like all the ovens have increased in price with the Karu and Koda by about 25% from €279 to €349, so an increase of €70 which defo would have put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

it looks like all the ovens have increased in price with the Karu and Koda by about 25% from €279 to €349, so an increase of €70 which defo would have put me off.

I was just about to buy one myself. That increase did very much put me off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Essien wrote: »
    I was just about to buy one myself. That increase did very much put me off :(

Literally went to order and just seen this. Same boat as yourself now! Ill hold off now for a while

I ordered a 12" Karu, carry-case, 12" peel and a "cooking with fire" recipe book.

Everything except the actual oven itself has been delivered. Ordered 26th November and everything delivered in the past week / 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I ordered a 12" Karu, carry-case, 12" peel and a "cooking with fire" recipe book.

Everything except the actual oven itself has been delivered. Ordered 26th November and everything delivered in the past week / 10 days.

Same as that, got the pizza peel but no oven. Was delivered by a girl in what looked like her mother's car, very strange :) She said her da may be back with the rest later :pac:

Essien wrote:
    I was just about to buy one myself. That increase did very much put me off
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Literally went to order and just seen this. Same boat as yourself now! Ill hold off now for a while

Yeah, that is an absolute pisser as 25% is a fairly hefty increase although if you do use Thephantomsmask's referral code you at least get 10% off everything that you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Double C wrote: »
    Same as that, got the pizza peel but no oven. Was delivered by a girl in what looked like her mother's car, very strange :) She said her da may be back with the rest later :pac:

That's mad. I got a heavy parcel so thought it was the oven... just opened it there after reading this and it's just the sizzler plate... And delivered by some lad in a car.

That being said I did see on my tracking that there are two parcels so maybe he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

I ordered this last week with the phantoms referral (thanks) before the price increase, but as they are not to be delivered until March could I be hit with duty or VAT?

• Advertisement

AdrianII wrote: »
    I ordered this last week with the phantoms referral (thanks) before the price increase, but as they are not to be delivered until March could I be hit with duty or VAT?

Not if you ordered from the EU site....

Advertisement