Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

If you do well in the interview you wait to hear that either

A. They want you to go for a medical

or

B. You haven't been successful

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Anyone else hear anything or know anything.

Do ya think if ya went over by a couple of words in the section that says, say why you want to join ESB max. 50words, would they see this as bad anyone else go over and get excepted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

3fullback wrote: »
    Anyone else hear anything or know anything.

Do ya think if ya went over by a couple of words in the section that says, say why you want to join ESB max. 50words, would they see this as bad anyone else go over and get excepted ?

I wouldnt worry about that to be honest, have u not got a letter in the post tellin ya to go to the aptitude test?? if not then id say you wont get one by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kingcantona

Just got a letter today inviting me to go and do an aptitude test in Dublin, Fitzwilliam Street which i think is the ESB headquarters. Got a sample test as well which seems pretty basic and straightfoward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Got letter for test on 10th April along with sample tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

just today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WannabeSpark

I haven't received any letter about the aptitude test yet.
    I'm living down in Cork. Does anyone know if they will be doing an aptitude test down here too?
    Has anyone been called to a test anywhere other that DIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

I got my letter this morning for the apittude test on the 10th in dublin
    im unsure if i should go or not as i am a girl and anyone i say it to takes the piss because its ment to be a job for males ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

sparky89 wrote: »
    im unsure if i should go or not as i am a girl and anyone i say it to takes the piss because its ment to be a job for males ????

Of course you should go, there were female apprentices when i was apprentice in ESB 23 years ago. So why should`t you try?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

You should go. If your interested in the role then yes. Never mind the short sightiness of those people. There just jealous of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

sparky89 go for it.you will only regret it later.you are as good as anyone else.determination will get you through anything.there is absolutely no reason for you not to pursue and achieve your goals.good luck to you and all prospective apprentices.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You should go , iv come across a few women in trades in my time and they all seemed to enjoy what they were doin , no harm in trying it out and see how you like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its mostly done by males, doesn't mean its not for women. The whole climbing poles and pylons, manual labour etc is probably more suited towards men physically, but if your up for it, and think you will like it then you should go for it, i wouldn't a few people taken the piss stop you.

thanks guys for the advise

im goin to go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Defiantly go for it. There's a girl in my year (1st) and we're both in phase 2 now and she gets on fine when she's out on site working and she just has the craic with all the lads like anyone would. Plus being a girl definatly gives you a better chance of getting in.

does any body no what type of questions are askes in the interview part ??:)

does any body no what type of questions are askes in the interview part ??:)

I did interview 23 years ago, but my cousin did it last year, along with the usual tell me about yourself type questions, he was asked such things as what voltage is the electricity in a house, what size fuse is used in a kettle plug, nothing too major but that type of thing, i remember being asked why the electricity supply voltage varies up and down throughout the day, i remember being asked that clearly. Its a little nerve racking for many but once your in the interview its not too bad.
    What questions are asked will depend on who conducts the interview your at. They could possibly ask why you would like to be an electrician and why the ESB

Others might have been at recent ones and tell you more also.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I did interview 23 years ago, but my cousin did it last year, along with the usual tell me about yourself type questions, he was asked such things as what voltage is the electricity in a house, what size fuse is used in a kettle plug, nothing too major but that type of thing, i remember being asked why the electricity supply voltage varies up and down throughout the day, i remember being asked that clearly. Its a little nerve racking for many but once your in the interview its not too bad.
    What questions are asked will depend on who conducts the interview your at. They could possibly ask why you would like to be an electrician and why the ESB

Others might have been at recent ones and tell you more also.

thinks, i better start doing some research so :D

thinks, i better start doing some research so :D

Yes just check up what the electricity supply voltage is, fuse sizes in household appliances, if you can tell them you changed a few plugs in your day it all helps, stuff that shows you have a strong interest in the electrical field. If you need to know anything about any of it just ask,
    Again it all depends on what they ask, When they asked my cousin what fuse is in a kettle he said 10 amps, it shoud of been 13 amps but 10 amps is about what the average kettle uses in amps but they take 13 amp fuse so he was in and around the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Has anyone heard a word back in Cork, because I haven't :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 EoghanC

i am 20 years old, hav over a year experience in full time electrician, 3 further years part time, i applied for this apprenticeship on one of the first days and have since been waiting a reply, i'm not sure if i have been picked, but my friend who has no experience what so ever has gotten a letter back. we have been having trouble with our post for the past two weeks and i fear that the letter was lost along with other letters we did not recieve. can anyone help me or give me advice on what to do,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Contacting anpost is probably the best thing to do and check if you have post or if its delayed

EoghanC wrote: »
    i am 20 years old, hav over a year experience in full time electrician, 3 further years part time, i applied for this apprenticeship on one of the first days and have since been waiting a reply, i'm not sure if i have been picked, but my friend who has no experience what so ever has gotten a letter back. we have been having trouble with our post for the past two weeks and i fear that the letter was lost along with other letters we did not recieve. can anyone help me or give me advice on what to do,

ring the esb and see were you picked and explain the problem you have been having with the post and you will get a straight answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ash10

I got the letter the other day saying I was to go for an apptitude test in the ESB place on the 10th of April, however, about a week and a half before that I got one saying that I was to attend the one on the 7th of April in DIT! So i got two letters, think this is because I done 2 application forms, I made a mistake on one so done another. Is anyone else going to DIT on wednesday!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WannabeSpark

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard a word back in Cork, because I haven't :(

I'm in Cork and haven't heard back yet either. Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Galway hopefully there will be a place this side of the country where they will carry out aptitude test . Anyone round galway or connacht hear anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I'm in Cork and haven't heard back yet either. Hopefully soon.

I got the letter about 2 weeks ago, I think all the tests are being done in Dublin. I got called to go tomorrow but I don't think I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

3fullback wrote: »
    Galway hopefully there will be a place this side of the country where they will carry out aptitude test . Anyone round galway or connacht hear anything ?

We'll i'm in Mayo and i haven't heard anything yet - maybe there's still some hope for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paa9090

I galway heard nothing yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paa9090

Ha if worse comes to worse come with me to the bus eireann aptitude tests and we go become bus mechanics :cool:

Advertisement