Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young Child Dinner Ideas - Share Your Successes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

good thread, past few months with children being at home from school so much combined with the boredom of restricted life they seem to be worse at eating dinners.
    They always requesting the same few things they like, not wanting to try new things and possibly snacking too much.
    Up to age 6 would eat anything now getting more particular. One basically wants meat only another certain veg and pasta or bread. Always looking for a sprinkle of salt too.
    They will eat wraps with cheese and any meat for any meal. I'm often wondering why I put pressure on myself to make them a hot dinner if they happy to eat a few cherry tomatoes and chicken & cheese wraps.

After Easter as I'm still working from home going to try get dinner ready over lunch and they can eat when in from school see if this works better.
    So keeping eye on this thread for meals that can be in oven on timer or slow cooker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chicken Pie

119637834_174415110819032_1260239946824462071_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=_rvMaB52oawAX_0slf3&edm=AP_V10EAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=88f93f3debb0e86df47fecc9ece92f9a&oe=609340AA&_nc_sid=4f375e

A simple enough recipe made with some chicken, parsnip, carrots & frozen peas. This is usually a hit. Cook the chicken in the oven just before you start on the veg and pastry and it's a handy enough number.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have 2 chicken refusers here...they eat begrudgingly, if at all.Doesn't half make life difficult.

553452.jpg

This wasn't a success for me, possibly because it was too spicy for her. I left out using chillies so the only heat was from the sweet chilli sauce. I said I'd link it here as it's easy to make and I imagine others would have more success with it:

https://khinskitchen.com/crispy-sweet-chilli-beef/

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I keep forgetting how sensitive their taste buds are and even mild spicing can seem a lot to them. i Have something similar planned for dinner tonight but with noodles. I'll separate out some plainer noodles before i add any spices and i have leftover roast veg and potatoes to supplement with. I'll offer the beef but invariably she doesn't like the texture of meat so it will probably be discarded. She has surprised me though.

Things that have worked well lately are build your own mexican inspired dishes, fajitas, chilli etc, i serve them all with wraps, grated cheese, guacamole, salsa etc and we can then spice to our individual taste. Small girl is loving guacamole as long as there isn't a lot of lime juice in it. Wraps and cheese also go down well and she will try the chilli (mild).

Similarly i do a mexican hash of airfryer potatoes, sweet potatoes, chorizo and peppers, topped with an egg and served with guacamole and salsa. This is a big hit as eggs are also a favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The Supervalu near me do lovely little salmon fishcakes....lightly breaded, and just salmon inside, not too thick or big.They were a very surprising hit here last week, and the eldest went a step further and tried a teeny bit of sweet chilli sauce to dip them in.Just a taste of it.Today was fish goujons from Howth which again were a surprising hit with my older two.Served with my own chips and plenty of veg.Tartare sauce was roundly rejected though!Given that it's been well over a year since I tried them with fish last, I am happy to build on today!

Eldest has also discovered the existence of phad thai noodles with chicken.Has received a major thumbs up.I am just happy she is once more willing to at least try stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

We are FINALLY eating peppers again! And egg!

Found this and printed a few images of it
    https://d1aettbyeyfilo.cloudfront.net/daniellebinns/3064628_15476822119991.jpg

It appealed to him coz he’s loved the experiments they do in school. And he has already decided that egg is fine. And after doing the placemat on one small piece he voluntarily ate the pepper I placed on the side of his plate today in the same way I have done for three years- Have I mentioned he’s stubborn….

Can’t wait to try some of the aboe

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Can you give any more detail on this? It sounds amazing….

Similarly i do a mexican hash of airfryer potatoes, sweet potatoes, chorizo and peppers, topped with an egg and served with guacamole and salsa. This is a big hit as eggs are also a favourite.

I call it Mexican hash as it’s based on a dish I used to order for brunch called Mexican hash but I’m sure it’s nowhere near that anymore. You don’t need an air fryer and could roast or pan fry the potatoes and veg too. It’s very easy, just chopping really.

I cube potatoes and season with garlic granules and some paprika(less since I had the small girl) and add toss in some oil
    Cube sweet potatoes and toss in oil
    Chop peppers and chorizo
    Starting with the potatoes I cook them til about halfway in the air fryer, then add sweet potatoes as they take less time to cook. When they are nearly done I add the peppers and chorizo.
    Fry a couple of eggs and I serve with guacamole and salsa and cholua but you can just use what you like.

For the adults I serve the veg mix in a bowl, top with an egg and add your own toppings. Toddler gets hers separated out as she also doesn’t like peppers but they appear on her plate regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

we have had success on Peas!!! :) Bit of butter thats about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not meals, but we make humus, salsa and guacamole with our toddler.

She helps make them (usually by putting everything in the blender, peeling the garlic and juicing the lime) which obviously increasing the attraction to her too, fierce easy to make with fairly normal ingredients.

Humus is just a tin of chick peas drained, garlic, peanut butter, lemon juice and cumin in a blitzer, blend til smooth and season to taste.

Guac; mashed avocado, 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion, lime juice, coriander (dried leaf is ok, fresh leaf better). Blend.

Salsa; same as Guac, but more tomatoes, no avocado or garlic.

She devours them and anything that are dipped in them - e.g. carrots, potato, chicken etc. And are basically pure vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son is VERY sensitive to tastes/textures, he has ADHD & other neuro issues, and will gag/vomit on stuff that is unfamiliar. It's been really difficult to get him to eat anything out of his comfort zone (namely ANYTHING veg wise) but I've had recent success with these:

Peanut butter noodles - whisk a small amount (tablespoon or two) of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, optional sesame oil, honey/agave syrup and a couple of tablespoons of natural peanut butter with a little water. Add sweet chilli sauce, garlic & ginger to your child's taste. Grate a carrot and some white cabbage, stir fry with some chicken or beef, add cooked noodles and stir through the sauce. I steam the veg along with some broccoli and cauliflower florets in the microwave for a minute or two to make sure they're tender before stir frying. The grated veg "disappears" into the noodles and sauce and can't be picked out. Really tasty, and if making for a family, increase the amount of sauce and add fresh chilli & ginger into the grown ups portion.

Courgette fritters - grate courgettes and a white potato, add seasonings to taste (you can add curry powder, garlic, turmeric, whatever flavours you like really) and a few spoons of chickpea flour to bind. If you need it you can also add a splash of milk to help form a batter. Drop a couple of spoonfuls onto an oiled pan, shape into a patty and fry until cooked through and crispy. You can also grate in a little carrot or stir in some sweetcorn to the batter. Nice for an adults lunch with salad too.

"Dinner pancakes" - finely chop veg of choice - I usually go for broccoli, grated carrot, a little onion, tomato, some spinach - and soften in a pan. Add chopped ham or chicken. Divide the veg into an oiled muffin tin, and pour over whisked eggs (add seasonings & herbs to the eggs).Top with grated cheese and bake for 10 mins or so until firmed up. These freeze really well and can be defrosted in the microwave quickly. These are great for getting the kids to help with. A silicone muffin tray makes getting them out a lot easier as well.

thanks Nikp going to try the peanut dish tonight see if we get anywhere.

Milly33 wrote: »
    thanks Nikp going to try the peanut dish tonight see if we get anywhere.

I realise the quantities for the sauce are.... vague! I generally judge it by eye and by taste, and add a bit more of whatever I think it's lacking! I add a tiny bit more honey for my son to make it sweeter. The sauce should be fairly thick but pourable, and it does need a good whisk to get it to come together initially. A squeeze of lime juice is nice in it too.

thank you, i think we are the same with measurements i went with what you said but added more peanut butter... I did think it seemed rather thick alright, but i made it up with chicken first and then added to the noodles.. Was a bit hit and miss the younger chap like it but then poked out the chicken bits :) and the older one who I am most keen to get eating more did not even try it for me.. I made up a chicken and pineapple dish too and he loved it but her nope.. Tis tiring but made it in a big batch so going to try her again

It is completely headwrecking Milly.
    But keep putting strange food on her plate, a bit here and there.I just tell mine if you don't want to eat it that's fine, but it stays on your plate.That in itself is a good lesson for them to learn, to be ok with unknown foods on their plate.It comes in time though.

thanks Shesty that is actually a very good point to leave the food on their plate... She used to insist she did not want anything else on the plate now I just put it on..

Very odd one today, we were bold and got a take away and gave her two chicken nuggets as the beginning she was all no no not eating them but then half and hour onto it she did.. Maybe the tides are changing at last

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We get that a lot here Milly. Start of the meal he’ll say Yuck, I’m not eating that. I’ll say, that’s fine, it’s your choice what you eat. And by the end of the meal he sometimes will have eaten it all.

My second child is/was a demon for saying "eww yuck, what's that, I'm not eating that" at the top of her voice, age 4.(now 5).She is a lot better now mind you!
    Basically I would like to be able to bring her to a restaurant at some point in her life, and/or I do not want her to be the dinner guest at someone's house thinking that is ok to say at the top of her voice!!I have met some kids who have never been called up on that behaviour, and think it is ok to do everywhere they get food that isn't their usual, so it was something I wanted to work on with mine when she started doing it.Especially since the younger lad was parroting it afterwards....

And we were blaming a book she got as a gift at Christmas for this Yuck! I dont like it, just another phase then...Thanks to all again

• Advertisement

Our one hasn’t learnt yuck yet but I’m sure it’s only around the corner.

Tonight was a good dinner day, corn on the cob, Mac n cheese and butternut squash and cheese grits. I’ve Mac n cheese and grits leftover which is good as tomorrow I’m planning oxtail ragu that I know she won’t like so I can supplement that with today’s leftovers.

554823.jpg

Tried these last night and it was a success. I think she found it quite novel eating with her hands and learning what parts she could/couldn't eat.

It's an Annabel Karmel recipe:

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/apricot-dijon-drumsticks/

Tried these last night and it was a success. I think she found it quite novel eating with her hands and learning what parts she could/couldn't eat.

It's an Annabel Karmel recipe:

https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/apricot-dijon-drumsticks/

Small girl is still at an age where hands are normal eating implements. She likes a drumstick from the BBQ however when i did them in the oven she turned her nose up at them. I must roast a chicken again soon and try her with that.

Made a nice pasta sauce last night which might be a good one for those whose kids love pesto pasta. I had kept a couple of broccoli stems after eating the florets over the week. I boiled these up, pulsed them in a food processor and then added cream cheese and pesto. Nice way to get in an added vegetable. i froze some of the sauce for days i need a quick dinner for her. Ive also done similar with baby spinach. Pesto is such a strong flavour it still shines thorugh

Small girl is still at an age where hands are normal eating implements. She likes a drumstick from the BBQ however when i did them in the oven she turned her nose up at them. I must roast a chicken again soon and try her with that.

Made a nice pasta sauce last night which might be a good one for those whose kids love pesto pasta. I had kept a couple of broccoli stems after eating the florets over the week. I boiled these up, pulsed them in a food processor and then added cream cheese and pesto. Nice way to get in an added vegetable. i froze some of the sauce for days i need a quick dinner for her. Ive also done similar with baby spinach. Pesto is such a strong flavour it still shines thorugh

I do something similar; I make a basic roux with butter & milk, add pesto and serve with pasta, small broccoli florets, peas and chicken or salmon. All mixed up it goes down well.

Advertisement