Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I will start a thread sure

Yay - something to play with!! :)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Hermy wrote: »
    Yay - something to play with!! :)
    Enjoy and thanks in advance

On a separate note, does anyone else find having to constantly sign in and do the captcha on IrishGenealogy.ie to be very annoying...
    It would be great if you could have an account which allowed constant logged in status.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

On a separate note, does anyone else find having to constantly sign in and do the captcha on IrishGenealogy.ie to be very annoying...
    It would be great if you could have an account which allowed constant logged in status.

It is annoying, so used to it now!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, very annoying.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Is anyone good with Ancestry (the website). I have come across a number of relatives who's relationships to children/spouses etc is Unknown.
    I know that this has an effect on the ThruLines thing in DNA so I'm wondering if there is a way to search for all the Unknowns in my tree? I'd rather not have to go through it on by one.
    Thanks.

Can you give a screenshot example? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Ancestry trees are quite difficult to manage. I had to untangle one recently and the only way was to download it into other software, fix it there and then upload a new tree. This was a particularly messy tree where people had been duplicated in different places and there were lots of unconnected people. It was hard work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Can you give a screenshot example? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Ancestry trees are quite difficult to manage. I had to untangle one recently and the only way was to download it into other software, fix it there and then upload a new tree. This was a particularly messy tree where people had been duplicated in different places and there were lots of unconnected people. It was hard work.

I only found the "Edit Relationships" button recently I think it's great! You can add in adoption links etc that I didn't realize before.

It's in here that I found the Unknown relations, see example attached (hopefully).
    All of these children would have been added the same way but now some show biological :) and some say Unknown :(

I can change them as I find them but I was hoping that I could search for all the unknowns in the overall tree.

Ah yes, I understand what you mean now. I haven't seen a bulk way to search for them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

I only found the "Edit Relationships" button recently I think it's great! You can add in adoption links etc that I didn't realize before.

It's in here that I found the Unknown relations, see example attached (hopefully).
    All of these children would have been added the same way but now some show biological :) and some say Unknown :(

I can change them as I find them but I was hoping that I could search for all the unknowns in the overall tree.

Not following you. If you have the "Edit Relationships" button, this is your own tree. So why don't you know whether these people are biological or adopted relatives? Have you simply imported them from another Member Tree?

• Advertisement

Earnest wrote: »
    Not following you. If you have the "Edit Relationships" button, this is your own tree. So why don't you know whether these people are biological or adopted relatives? Have you simply imported them from another Member Tree?

They were changed/added in as Unknown for some reason. I know the relationships myself but don't know why some have gone in as biological and some as unknown

They were changed/added in as Unknown for some reason. I know the relationships myself but don't know why some have gone in as biological and some as unknown

This has happened me to from time to time. I think sometimes it happens when someone else is added to your tree as a consequence of being implicated in someone else's record.

Say for example you attach a a census return to Joe Soap and his brother John Soap who is living with him gets included as well but the relationship to Daddy Soap doesn't get recorded properly. I think that's how it might happen.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, but I despair at that thread in the other forum! I keep wanting to jump in and correct people but it's not the tone over there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Really, you think? What about all those anonymous entries in the results at all of the events? There are no bibs and no obligation on anyone present to prove they have registered before or after taking part.

Deja Boo wrote:
    I love how busy this forum has been lately

Yes I've been doing a lot of genealogy recently. I hadn't looked at my tree for about 2 years.

Yes, but I despair at that thread in the other forum! I keep wanting to jump in and correct people but it's not the tone over there.

What thread? There's another forum???:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just spent too long poking around the British National Archives and downloading bits and pieces.
    Lots of stuff free (with an account and within reason) for a while.
    https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

I saw that on Twitter this morning: excellent.

Now to find the time to go through their catalogue!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

A month ago I subscribed to RootsIreland and it's due to expire/renew next week.
    I have to admit at first I was pretty disapointed as it seemed just to be another source of information that is already available in NLI.ie, IrishGenealogy.ie etc.
    But I then begun to realize that it's search functionaliity is great! It has definitely been a useful investment and here's another reason why!
    Since subscribing I have tried to use it to get past some "Brick Walls" or just old lines in the family tree. I came across a Church Marriage Record for my 2x Great Grandparents and I was suprised to see that this documented both father AND MOTHER of the bride and groom.
    I had previously only found the Civil cert which only states the father.

Super happy now as this has broken down a wall and now I have found some more relatives!

I didn't know that some church records would record the mother of the party. This is in Granard, Longford so maybe just a Longford thing!

• Advertisement

Sounds great. I love when that happens!

Most Catholic church registers will have the mother's name. You should always get both copies of the marriage where possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Hoping to get a copy of the church marriage for my 2x great grandmother's brother's second marriage in 1902 sometime. I'll have to do it once the lockdown is over. I'm hoping that his mother's name will be recorded since I only know her first name. The marriage took place in the parish of Ballinameen in Co. Roscommon. Some marriages record the mother there while others don't. I don't know what the trend was like in 1902 for the area.

How annoying that Rootsireland only has up to 1900 for that parish!

I have come across some Cork city centre parishes not recording mothers' names in the 1900s/1910s but this is the exception rather than the norm for that time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

How annoying that Rootsireland only has up to 1900 for that parish!

I have come across some Cork city centre parishes not recording mothers' names in the 1900s/1910s but this is the exception rather than the norm for that time.

Yeah just missed out. I'm not too hopeful though since I have seen marriages in that parish in 1899 with no mothers' names recorded. At least I was able to get her first name from her death record.

I had the same problem with another 3x great grandmother where I had her first name from the census but not the surname. Eventually got her name by finding a marriage for one of her sons. It took longer than it should have to find her. What misled me with Roots Ireland was that her husband's name was Owen so I had been searching marriages of those with the surname and a father Owen but only getting civil marriages. I eventually just searched for the bride and groom. I had assumed that if the father's name wasn't recorded, then it's unlikely that the mother's surname would have been. The father's name had been Latinised from Owen to Eugene.

A case where I've been less lucky is a marriage for my 2x great grandparents. They married in 1860 with none of their parents recorded. I'd nearly prefer not to have the marriage since I feel robbed! So tantalisingly close... If only!

I'm quite certain of the groom's father from a death record for him. The father died in 1873 as a widower with his son (my ancestor) recorded as the informant. I couldn't find a death record for a woman of their address so she may have died before 1864, could even be around the birth of their last child.

A relative had made a handwritten tree with the surname Rabbette and also Keavney for his wife. The groom's father had been in court six times with a Rabbit so it wouldn't surprise me if he was an in-law of sorts as awful as it sounds. I'll have to research Rabbits of the address in the court documents. It might lead to something. These family feuds can be common enough. My 3x great grandfather was in court at least 12 times with a Walsh man who was the father of his son-in-law. The Walsh even brought his son and my ancestor to court with his son acting as a witness for my ancestor on an occasion. Nothing like feuds over land.

The daughter of the lady who made the handwritten tree told me the bride's father's name but there's nothing to back it up. She did give the correct name for the groom's father though so I am accepting it. There isn't much chance of tracking down the bride's mother though since I have no idea where the bride lived before marrying and the surname isn't distinctive. The bride and groom both have two very common surnames for the area.

Have you got any Rabbit DNA matches? :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Have you got any Rabbit DNA matches? :D

I could see how odd it looked when writing it! Going to court with a Rabbit. I'll answer it anyway. I have a few Rabbitte matches but nothing major. Most seem to be from Athenry. A girl I went to college with was a Rabbitte from Athenry actually. My ancestors are from Galway but it's the wrong part of Galway. However, there is only one Rabbitte family in 1901 at the address given in the court records and they're the only Rabbitte family in the DED so they might not have been in the area for generations. If there's two surnames beside his name though, it could indicate that he married twice so I might not be related to the Rabbitte wife. It could also be that one is his mother's surname while the other could be his wife. I'll likely never know for certain.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

srmf5 wrote: »
    I could see how odd it looked when writing it! Going to court with a Rabbit. I'll answer it anyway. I have a few Rabbitte matches but nothing major. Most seem to be from Athenry. A girl I went to college with was a Rabbitte from Athenry actually. My ancestors are from Galway but it's the wrong part of Galway. However, there is only one Rabbitte family in 1901 at the address given in the court records and they're the only Rabbitte family in the DED so they might not have been in the area for generations. If there's two surnames beside his name though, it could indicate that he married twice so I might not be related to the Rabbitte wife. It could also be that one is his mother's surname while the other could be his wife. I'll likely never know for certain.

Check alternative names also. I had a brick wall looking for my g-grandmother's family that my aunt said was called "Quinneen" (as an aside, it was Dev she was relaying saying the name). I eventually tracked it down to a Roberts family, via the image of the 1901 census. They'd originally written their surname as "Cunneen" but then crossed it out and replaced it with "Roberts". Seems they used the 'English' Roberts for official purposes but Cunneen for everything else. Said with a thick Limerick/Cork accent it sounds a lot like "Quinneen". Might be the same for you - they're all variations of the same name - Roberts/Rabbite/Cunneen

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote:

I have never come across a church record of a marriage that recorded either mother or father. Must be down to the parts of Cork my family are from.

Advertisement