Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

• 04-08-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Ok folks, (probably) like most of you, I'm thoroughly overstocked in the bike department: (1 road bike, 2 off road bikes, 1 run around), but as you well know, theres never enough, well especially now I'm considering going car free. I need a nice cargo bike, and I wondering if there are any decent suppliers here. They seem to be plentiful the other side of the pond, like yuba bikes. Here's the type of baby I'm looking for:
    SpokeyMundoLoad.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yuba are in Germany, so there's no problem getting them here (was looking into it myself, and came across a guy out Ranelagh way that has one). http://yubaride.com is them.

Other than that, the Surly Big Dummy is a nice bike, a boardsie here has one. Also, there's the Kona Ute. Bullit cargo bikes are very nice, and there are bakfiets as well as babboe among others.

Alternately you could get an Xtracycle build going.

It really comes down to if you want something with a large box on it (if so, the Bullit is what I'd reccommend), or the long bike style that you can hang just about anything off (in which case I'd go for the Yuba)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

thanks Tiny, thats a nice list. I usually buy second hand, but seeing as there are not many available on the 2nd hand market, looks like I'm into €€€€€. But I'm replacing a car, so thats my excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

This guy is in Holland - very nicely put together bikes:

http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/professional-transport-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bear Bicycles in Dublin do these, according to their website:

876541295280281slide_nieuw_4.jpg
    http://www.bear-bicycles.com/

I use a trailer myself, which I got from bikehod.com. It's pretty versatile. With the Carradice bag on it's good for transporting my guitar in a hard case, or doing the weekly shopping.

103586.jpg

With the bag off, you can strap loads onto the frame, such as this coffee table I brought home.

126007.jpg

If you're selling your car and live in Dublin or Cork, it's also worth considering joining GoCar. I did this, and it's very handy for the odd journey where a car makes your life easier rather than harder (which is a small percentage of total journeys for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭depadz

there was a stall at the farmers market in marley park last saturday selling cargo bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

I am the one in Marley park selling the bicycles, will be there again this Saturday and Sunday, if you want to try out our Babboe Big.
    I am hoping to soon do business with Workcycles who's bikes are amazing and would get my highest recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

milk%20plus%20long%20john.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

This one is wicked (with the red coming as a close second, can't decide really). I'd really love to own one of these, and be able to do without my car.

Here are some nice pictures of such a bike put in good use http://www.copenhagenize.com/search?q=bullit

Edit: And another one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/3680350645/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

enas wrote: »
    This one is wicked (with the red coming as a close second, can't decide really). I'd really love to own one of these, and be able to do without my car.

Here are some nice pictures of such a bike put in good use http://www.copenhagenize.com/search?q=bullit

Edit: And another one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/3680350645/

Velocity Couriers in Dublin use them, and there's also this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

jinghong wrote: »
    I usually buy second hand, but seeing as there are not many available on the 2nd hand market, looks like I'm into €€€€€.

There was one for sale second hand earlier this year, at what seemed like a reasonable price. (I suspect it might have been third hand, at least, as the seller in that ad had previously inquired on Boards whether anyone had a second hand one for sale.) I'd have been really keen on it myself, but for my lack of indoor storage space (and a big enough front door!).

I've riidden a bakfiets (from Bear Bicycles, mentioned above) and loved it, but I think if I were investing in a cargo bike I'd lean strongly towards a cargo trike like the one in that ad- the grounded stability, not to mention the snow-going potential, give it the edge for me.

One other thing worth bearing in mind- well built cargo bikes keep their value. Don't expect a bargain. (And if you do see a bargain, well... :))

PS There's an interesting spat documented on the workcycles blog that arose following one man's assessment of different cargo bikes. He was, shall we say, less than impressed with the Larry vs Harrys (Harries?). But YMMV, and all that. I do think they look very smart.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I'd have been really keen on it myself, but for my lack of indoor storage space (and a big enough front door!).

Good-quality cargo bikes are weather-proofed and generally left outside, aren't they? So it says on the Bakfiets en Meer website (I guess that that's the Workcycles blog you mention?).l I guess some tarpaulin and a bracket sunk into some concrete to which you can lock would be a good idea.

We discussed this before though -- what you need is a garage!
    Doctor Bob wrote: »
    PS There's an interesting spat documented on the workcycles blog that arose following one man's assessment of different cargo bikes. He was, shall we say, less than impressed with the Larry vs Harrys (Harries?). But YMMV, and all that. I do think they look very smart.

Quite a spat about the Babboe Big too:

http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2008/07/11/roundup-reviews-of-various-family-transport-bikes/

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Good-quality cargo bikes are weather-proofed and generally left outside, aren't they? So it says on the Bakfiets en Meer website (I guess that that's the Workcycles blog you mention?).l I guess some tarpaulin and a bracket sunk into some concrete to which you can lock would be a good idea.

We discussed this before though -- what you need is a garage!

Quite a spat about the Babboe Big too:

http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2008/07/11/roundup-reviews-of-various-family-transport-bikes/

Indeed. Opinions on that trike seem quite divided. (The owner of WorkCycles may be North American, but he seems to share the Dutch propensity for directness. :))

You're right about the outdoors thing. I noted from a video on the Bear site that my own bike, made by Azor, has been designed to live outside for 20 years. (The video is, I think, the last one on this page. I'd link it, but YouTube is blocked in work.)

As for the garage, you're spot on, at least regarding Dublin. I don't currently have access to one, and sadly my landlady wasn't too keen on me sinking a bracket into her driveway! When the housing market bottoms out and I make my killing, a garage - or at least a secure shed - is high on the list of requirements.

Anyway, for the sake of completeness, here's the controversial blog post I mentioned in my last post.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm looking at the Bullitt from Larry vs Harry or the one Bear Bikes sell. I'm also looking at winning some amount on the lotto to pay for one. :)

Larry vs Harry website is here, details of their Irish dealer too: http://www.larryvsharry.com/english/

Looking at that red bullit and thinking to myself "I must have you" in my finest withnail and I accent

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Looking at that red bullit and thinking to myself "I must have you" in my finest withnail and I accent

Glad to see I'm not alone :) Since the day the thread has started, I've been constantly thinking that I would really like to have one of these. I manage to come back to reality by thinking that with all the hills in Cork, I would be better off with a trike for a cargo bike (even if I wasn't planning to buy one at the first place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I am he with the Big Dummy

Kk4IF.jpg

It's a good bike more than capable of carrying a weekly shop and other large objects. Add in some wide loaders and a long loader and it would be capable of carrying pretty much anything.

I would prefer it over a trike because it's more maneuverable and more flexible than a trike and it's also easier to store.

I'ma actually passing through the netherlands next week and will have the ability to buy one and bring it back (large camper on toe). My main driver is that herself doesn't drive, and we're moving to a new location soon, and we want to have the flexibility to be located a couple of kms out of town if necessary. We have a 1 yr old and another due soon. She needs to be mobile and independent herself, as I'll be away working during the day.
    Because of that I'm leaning towards a bakfiets 3 wheeler with a 250 watt battery assist drive. she had a bad fall a couple of years back so she's a little nervous. For that reason I want to give this my best shot at making it work, so I'm thinking 3 wheels versus 2 This company actually ships them to Ireland apparently free.

So, some people think 2 wheels are better (I would have been biased that way myself, but thinking of her needs changes my mind), others think 2 are best. Anyone else got any opinions on this, and if going for a battery assist would be useful (pushing 2 kids up a hill sounds like work)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'ma actually passing through the netherlands next week and will have the ability to buy one and bring it back (large camper on toe). My main driver is that herself doesn't drive, and we're moving to a new location soon, and we want to have the flexibility to be located a couple of kms out of town if necessary. We have a 1 yr old and another due soon. She needs to be mobile and independent herself, as I'll be away working during the day.
    Because of that I'm leaning towards a bakfiets 3 wheeler with a 250 watt battery assist drive. she had a bad fall a couple of years back so she's a little nervous. For that reason I want to give this my best shot at making it work, so I'm thinking 3 wheels versus 2 This company actually ships them to Ireland apparently free.

So, some people think 2 wheels are better (I would have been biased that way myself, but thinking of her needs changes my mind), others think 2 are best. Anyone else got any opinions on this, and if going for a battery assist would be useful (pushing 2 kids up a hill sounds like work)?

For the situation you describe I'd tend towards the Christriana type three wheeler. Both your children will still need to be in baby seats I guess so a trike may make more sense? Did you look into gearing before looking at the engine?

I just dont now if using an electric assist makes sense with a bike or not. I wouldnt dream of using one myself. It's like admitting failure. But then again, I relish a good 150km spin on a good day. Herself is a different story, although pretty fit, if there are less barriers to using it, it will be used more, you know yourself..So does an electric drive help much with carrying a load?

• Advertisement

BTW the link I posted above may be to cheaper chineese imports, which are quickly developing a bad reputation for cargo bikes I've learned. I'm not sure it the bikes there seem too cheap..

I know nothing about electric motors unfortunately. Nor do I know much about the Chinese cargo bikes. I do, however, have a Bullitt set up to carry a child, older though, which you are welcome to have a look over.

Cheers for that I might look you up when I get back

The Nihola is quite a nice-looking three-wheeler too. Doesn't have as big a storage space as the Christiania, but the wheels move independently of the box. I think if I get one, I'll get that one, as I could use the goods trailer in conjunction, if I needed more storage. It would cut quite a sight too!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

I have a white Bullitt I'm considering selling, I want to get a three wheeler to put my kid in.

I was part of Velocity Couriers, so it's seen a few miles, but also been looked after. Everything is in working order, just needs new brake pads for the disks.

I also have the aluminium box and honeycomb bottom board that comes as an extra for the bike.

Retails for €2173 without the box or honeycomb bottom board, box is €296, honeycomb board is €161.

I'm looking for €1500 for the lot.
    Here's a pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dublinmessenger/3288872602/in/set-72157603473483270

I saw a Gazelle Cabby cargo bike locked in town yesterday. Looks interesting, with a collapsible cloth "box". Anyone have experience of one? Are they stocked in Dublin somewhere?

I'm broke, but I fondly imagine I'll find a suitcase of cash in my garden soon, or something like that.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Are they stocked in Dublin somewhere?

2 Wheels in Sandymount used to sell them, but I think they stopped stocking Gazelles. Might be worth calling them anyway.

PS I recently lost a suitcase of cash, so if you do find one, it's probably mine.

Actually, I'm trying to find some sort of lockable metal box that'll attach to the Bullitt now that the child is too big for the wooden one. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Will anybody bother cutting into the wooden box if you add a lockable lid? Might have to run the hinges down the sides for security though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Actually, I'm trying to find some sort of lockable metal box that'll attach to the Bullitt now that the child is too big for the wooden one. Anyone got any suggestions?

We have the box Harry vs Larry supply ~€300.

Advertisement