Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

riemann wrote: »
    You can block posters you feel are talking bolx.

I've never blocked anyone, but I'd imagine that you'd still get the posts if someone quoted them

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

wrangler wrote: »
    Why do you keep insisting that they're backing up bulls, surely they're moving stock as quick as they can with the. massive kills going on at the moment. now you say the fridges are full, We were always told that bull beef was difficult to sell and first to suffer I'd be surprised if we're heading into the same crisisi as 14 with the lessons farmers got then....if they heeded it is suppose

yes big kills going on. I sent only one yesterday as he was nearly 30 months. Had to wait till this morning to get the price. They were too busy yesterday.. 3.75 base all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dozer1 wrote: »

Got a call from work. Looking for a brief on the protest. Being a farmer in Dublin has its uses it seems

Reggie. wrote: »
    Got a call from work. Looking for a brief on the protest. Being a farmer in Dublin has its uses it seems

It's easier to get into those places than to get out,I'd always be inclined to hang back, at least if you were on the outside you could go home when you liked . It's probably the National Livestock Commitee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

You shouldn't have put on that red cap!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You shouldn't have put on that red cap!

Oh but it means no ones likes me. The way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

You were lucky as there wasn't enough flesh on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Cavanjack wrote: »
    You were lucky as there wasn't enough flesh on them.

What is the fat requirement for young bulls? 2=?
    What's the best way of putting fat on muscular cattle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

2+ is the min. Hard to get fat cover on good muscled bulls under 16 months (Not that I ever tried it). Can even be hard on good under 24 month bulls. Meal with a high maize content is Your best bet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Savage calfs. You were lucky what you got tbh they could have given ya any price tbh

Idk if there is a way to put much fat on them. They are meant to be lean. Meal with added fat and maize meal. If they were on adlib concentrates it canbe hard to get the intakes with such a dry feed and molasses or sugar beet would help. But with only 3,concentrates are the only way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,154 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As they did not make the grid 2+ FS you did not get QA. They deducted 6c/FS for below 2+ . If they had made FS 2+ it would have been worth 24c/kg on the U and 18c/kg on the ''Dini''.

To get FS on bulls like that everything has to be right. If protein is too high they grow too much if it is too low they fail to digest there feed. For the last 100 days 13.5p would be ideal. Yes high maize but also a low level of wheat(5-8%) to speed up the rumen. A high oil ration/nut and a good additive..

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭epfff

You were at the mercy of purcurment manager when you missed the grid.
    Id have to take u24 price for the 2= and the 2- would eventually get u24 price but a bit of ballicking and told not to bring anything like that again

As they did not make the grid 2+ FS you did not get QA. They deducted 6c/FS for below 2+ . If they had made FS 2+ it would have been worth 24c/kg on the U and 18c/kg on the ''Dini''.

To get FS on bulls like that everything has to be right. If protein is too high they grow too much if it is too low they fail to digest there feed. For the last 100 days 13.5p would be ideal. Yes high maize but also a low level of wheat(5-8%) to speed up the rumen. A high oil ration/nut and a good additive..

You behave yourself.....

You behave yourself.....

I do not know how that got in there but it looks good. It was ment to be on the ''E's''. But that sounds dodgy as well

Slava Ukrainii

I do not know how that got in there but it looks good. It was ment to be on the ''E's''. But that sounds dodgy as well

It looks like he got 24c and 12c above base price rather than getting cut tbh

It looks like he got 24c and 12c above base price rather than getting cut tbh

Base is 3.73 a U+ getting the 12c QA would gets 24c/kg for the 4 base grades improvements above R=/R- (which are the base grades). The E- would have been another 6c improvements That would have made his overall price would have been 4.11 for the U and 4.17 for the E- if they had been FS2+ minimum

However as they were lower FS he lost the 12c/kg QA and 12c/kg for the two FS on the U giving a price of 3.87/kg and 12c+6c/kg on the E's giving a final price of 3.99/kg. On bulls killing 400kgs that is 72/head on the E's and 92 euro on the U grade animal. It would have paid to keep feeding them and take a flat price after Christmass if they were over 16 months. More than likly Op was feeding a very high P ration when if he had added Barley to it he have reduced his feeding costs and came up on the FS's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Factories would school you!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Factories would school you!

Not really but this is where the bull about there only being 20ish cent between U and O grade cattle eminates. An O+ bullock with a FS of 3 would make 3.75/kg. He is not far behind those Bulls. But he is in spec and suitable for the UK prime market. Those bulls would go to a lower priced market because of there FS.

Slava Ukrainii

No Christmas card for you sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Factories would *fool* you!

Fixed that for ya boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Base is 3.73 a U+ getting the 12c QA would gets 24c/kg for the 4 base grades improvements above R=/R- (which are the base grades). The E- would have been another 6c improvements That would have made his overall price would have been 4.11 for the U and 4.17 for the E- if they had been FS2+ minimum

However as they were lower FS he lost the 12c/kg QA and 12c/kg for the two FS on the U giving a price of 3.87/kg and 12c+6c/kg on the E's giving a final price of 3.99/kg. On bulls killing 400kgs that is 72/head on the E's and 92 euro on the U grade animal. It would have paid to keep feeding them and take a flat price after Christmass if they were over 16 months. More than likly Op was feeding a very high P ration when if he had added Barley to it he have reduced his feeding costs and came up on the FS's

You won’t get 6c/kg more for grading E. Due to bulls grading better and killout higher than steers factories are offering less of base price for u16 bulls.
    I know factory in Ennis give QA on 2= for bulls so that might be the case here. Any bull that I slaughtered that doesn’t meet the fat score it’s only the QA you don’t get. You don’t lose the 6c increases on the grades.
    Hardly worth feeding on the bulls with overage U grade bulls quoted at 3.85
    Fair going to get E carcase on u16 bulls

K9 wrote: »

You won’t get 6c/kg more for grading E. Due to bulls grading better and killout higher than steers factories are offering less of base price for u16 bulls.
    I know factory in Ennis give QA on 2= for bulls so that might be the case here. Any bull that I slaughtered that doesn’t meet the fat score it’s only the QA you don’t get. You don’t lose the 6c increases on the grades.
    Hardly worth feeding on the bulls with overage U grade bulls quoted at 3.85
    Fair going to get E carcase on u16 bulls

My pricing for the bulls works out exactly for a 3.75 base if they are treating them as young bulls. Yes factory try to buy off grid but in this case they have have paid as per grid and as per FS's.
    Es U grade bulls are quoted at the moment at 3.85 bulls are the first to rise when prices rise. 4/kg may be attainable a in January. Those quality of bulls will put on more weight than it costs to put on them. It different if you are turning and replacing. If you are finishing your own production you need to maximize your profit. The real difference would have been on the U bulls

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Why 16 months with young bulls? Is there such a drop off in tenderness so quickly after the 16m. Is it the same Europe wide?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Why 16 months with young bulls? Is there such a drop off in tenderness so quickly after the 16m. Is it the same Europe wide?

it is an arbritory age that suits retailers and processors. it targets these bulls a times of tight supply May/June and December/January because of time of birth. it also jeeps down carcasses weight however it causes an issue on FS. However processors do claim that as bulls get older there is more likely to be a store period that can effect carcass quality.

Slava Ukrainii

it is an arbritory age that suits retailers and processors. it targets these bulls a times of tight supply May/June and December/January because of time of birth. it also jeeps down carcasses weight however it causes an issue on FS. However processors do claim that as bulls get older there is more likely to be a store period that can effect carcass quality.

Over 16m bulls are probably like the overweight weight lambs, they can sell them alright , they just can't sell a large amount.
    Overweight lambs go to a premium market from some factories, they never have to look for them such is the number of farmers that let lambs go overweight

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

My pricing for the bulls works out exactly for a 3.75 base if they are treating them as young bulls. Yes factory try to buy off grid but in this case they have have paid as per grid and as per FS's.
    Es U grade bulls are quoted at the moment at 3.85 bulls are the first to rise when prices rise. 4/kg may be attainable a in January. Those quality of bulls will put on more weight than it costs to put on them. It different if you are turning and replacing. If you are finishing your own production you need to maximize your profit. The real difference would have been on the U bulls

As it is, it’s getting difficult to move overage bulls. Bulls already have 120 days of 10kg + of meal, always a risk of them becoming stale or getting injured. I’d be happy to have em gone.
    Don’t see the point in supplying heavier carcasses to processors at lower prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just home from our Christmas party and came across this. I haven't read it in full.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revealed-factory-feedlot-contribution-to-irish-beef-kill/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement