Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club spins and sign-on

• 30-04-2018 10:38am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Query that has come up on our club spins which I can't find an answer to.

Is it a requirement for all members who go out on club spins to sign on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Plastik wrote: »
    Yes

Really? Is that a new thing? I've never signed on, or been asked to.
    Was out with a local club recently (wife is a member, I'm not) and no mention of having to sign on

Club League I can understand, but a spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's a requirement with my club too - group leader normally has a sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope. Reqs are lid, CI membership, ICE info.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've never been asked to sign on for a spin, just club league races. People who want you to sign on to go for a spin with your mates should take up curling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never been asked to sign on for a club ride either.

Apart from club league races, the only time I've seen people being asked to sign on are beginners who are not yet members.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Never been asked at my club either. My understanding is that you can ride twice with the club and then either join or clear off. If you join you have to get CI insurance in place as part of joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Its a requirement for all riders to have a CI license. if you have a license, no need to sign on. If someone turns up for a spin and doesn't have a CI license, then if they sign a CI sign on Sheet, they are now covered for that spin.

We don't ask WA for his license as we know he has one. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks all.

I was surprised when I saw it produced yesterday at the club spin and an impression was given that we all needed to sign on.
    As someone who has been out on club spins now for 10 years this was a first on me.

I've asked CI for some clarification on this though just in case some change has come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

All sounds very professional to me, do you have to cycle up the ramp and sign on, wave at the fans and pose for photos before you head off ?:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

yop wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I was surprised when I saw it produced yesterday at the club spin and an impression was given that we all needed to sign on.
    As someone who has been out on club spins now for 10 years this was a first on me.

I've asked CI for some clarification on this though just in case some change has come in.

I'm guessing it might be an attempt to stop people who haven't paid their club membership fees from continuously going out on club spins.

Cionn wrote: »
    Never been asked at my club either. My understanding is that you can ride twice with the club and then either join or clear off. If you join you have to get CI insurance in place as part of joining.

Think its 3x freebies, at least for us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I'm guessing it might be an attempt to stop people who haven't paid their club membership fees from continuously going out on club spins.

There was 1 lad who I contacted last week. I've checked the membership of all members and all heads have CI.

The reason I was given by the people was that it was required by CI.
    It was news to me to be honest.
    But if its a new legal reason to have to sign on, otherwise you are now not covered on a Club Spin, then we will do it.

ED E wrote: »
    Think its 3x freebies, at least for us.

It is 3 spins.

ICE info.
    I just assumed it was mainly for this info tbh, particularly if a big club (which the one I'm in is!). It doesn't really delay matters whether a requirement or not though.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I just assumed it was mainly for this info tbh, particularly if a big club (which the one I'm in is!). It doesn't really delay matters whether a requirement or not though.

If everyone wears a BandID / RoadID / Other that pretty much covers all bases and is more flexible than a list which might be wrong if people change groups at coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not a requirement for us.

Just an FYI

CI don't require it, got word back there on it.

Thanks for the feedback though folks :)

If everyone wears a BandID / RoadID / Other that pretty much covers all bases and is more flexible than a list which might be wrong if people change groups at coffee etc.
    Not everyone does though. And our groups are generally different times and different routes. I'm not in the club long enough to know the reason it was introduced, but I never really saw it as something to be concerned about to ask tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This has arisen in our club a few times recently - not the sign-on bit (thankfully! ) but what may lie behind it insofar as non-members participating on a spin are not covered by CI insurance.
    I suspect it is to protect the club officers (whether present or not) as there seems to be a risk that anyone injured in a fall while participating in an "organised/official club event" could potentially personally sue the club officers. As a result, trial (x3) newbies are only allowed on a specific Sunday spin with our club and once they have had their introductory spins, its a case of sign up to CI etc or move on. Tough, but I can understand it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just as an aside, if cycling to or home from a club ride, is it still considered to be part of a club ride?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Club rules could require it. CI rules do not unless it's a non-CI "guest" when you need proof via sign on for insurance purposes

Advertisement