Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Bloom trail centre

• 24-08-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

Anyone been up around the Slieve Blooms lately? How is the new trail centre coming along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

only just started marking the trails out I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I thought Nial Davis was doing that nearly 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I heard not to be too excited about em based on the progress and plans so far.

That view may be subjective.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I heard not to be too excited about em based on the progress and plans so far.

That view may be subjective.

Yeah I heard that the first phase will be green/blue trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

From what I can see online, there was a call to tender put out at the end of 2017. So surely if work has started, it's being carried out by a private company which would probably have a defined time period to do the work? It's not like it's two hairy-arsed workers in a council van going out to smoke fags and drink tae all day.

Where are people getting their info on progress from? I had a quick look on Google and couldn't find anything. Ideally I'd love the trails to be ready for summer 2019, as I should be back in Ireland then.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

I saw some updates on biking.ie's instagram/Facebook

Lucena wrote: »
    From what I can see online, there was a call to tender put out at the end of 2017. So surely if work has started, it's being carried out by a private company which would probably have a defined time period to do the work? It's not like it's two hairy-arsed workers in a council van going out to smoke fags and drink tae all day.

Where are people getting their info on progress from? I had a quick look on Google and couldn't find anything. Ideally I'd love the trails to be ready for summer 2019, as I should be back in Ireland then.:)

The tender was awarded to a wexford company, I think they were responsible for the ballinastoe trails. From biking.ie's social media it looks like Niall Davis was out marking trails for them and taking pictures of his fancy jeep. That's about all the info that was available. Initially Coillte said October this year was the target date for phase 1 completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

Metro won the contract but it was a design and build contract so Niall was brought in by metro as the designer and their tender won.

It is green/blue trails and the area is highly subjected to environmental impacts.

I'm not sure on the timeline but I would imagine it is around 4-6 months for delivery.

Maybe the fires they had affected them but i'm not sure on that, could well still be on track.

According to this post work is ongoing and they are aiming to have 35km of trails open by the end of the year
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2076535765713095&id=266591370040886

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I assume that means 35km that are actually useable, and not just a km here, 500m there?

• Advertisement

Yes, they intend to have a 35km loop up and running by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

looks very scenic!

Comments say that's a climbing section.

Interested to see some of the actual trails..

Comments say that's a climbing section.

Interested to see some of the actual trails..

Oh thats a shame, was hoping it was downhill, although lacks of berms probably gives it away :(

jvan wrote: »
    Oh thats a shame, was hoping it was downhill, although lacks of berms probably gives it away :(

That'd be terrible downhill, that left/right before the switchbacks would ruin the flow, hence why I checked the comments, I wanted to see if anyone had asked.

That'd be terrible downhill, that left/right before the switchbacks would ruin the flow, hence why I checked the comments, I wanted to see if anyone had asked.

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Where are the trails based?

Nabidana wrote: »
    Where are the trails based?

Near Kinnitty as far as I know.

jvan wrote: »
    Near Kinnitty as far as I know.
    I believe there will be a loop starting at Kinnitty and then another loop on the Laois side at Bunreagh. The two loops will join together at a road crossing so you can do a figure "8" and do both loops or just one one loop. I'm not sure if the Laois side is in phase 1.

Within each loop there will be various options to lengthen or shorten the loop, at least that is the long term plan. I will have a look around to see if I can find the trail maps, they were up on the Offaly and Laois county council websites.

Edit:
    http://www.offaly.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/1687/0

Click on the View Scanned Files button, click agree and a list of documents are available. Look for the bike trail layout document.

• Advertisement

Looks like a good mix of trails when its up and running. Would be great if they added more variety to Ballinastoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Its a positive start.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Any news on this?

Paddy's days opening was the latest I heard. They are very dependent on the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Wow, can't believe they've finally started. I think Brian Cowen was Taoiseach when these were first proposed! I actually made making some trails there myself back in the day, near Glenbarrow. Options were limited as most of the Blooms are bog. So I am surprised they think they can get 100km in, but hats off to them if/when they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Posted on their Facebook page a few hours ago ...
    On yer bike. A taster of the Slieve Bloom Mountain bike trail is opening for the Christmas Holidays. A looped section of the trail from Kinnitty Village will be open from Saturday next the 22nd December. Parking can be had in the village of Kinnitty and the trail can be accessed from the village at the entrance to the woods just past the Gaa pitch on the R422. The remainder of the first section of the trails will be ready for your enjoyment by March.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Any hear how long the loop is that’s been opened Over Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Also from Facebook -
    Daithi de Forge It is only a couple of sections on the Offaly/ Kinnitty side. No more than a few kms yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Doesn't sound worth the trip at the minute

"Slieve Bloom Mountain Biking The Taster loop is roughly 4 km in total mostly climbing and around 1km of singletrack back down. Anyone traveling any distance for a look might like to wait a little longer until the first section is completed��*♀️��*♀️ Put in your diary for the Easter Break."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

I was up there over Christmas (walking) and was surprised to see signs indicating that some of the MTB paths were open. A decent job seems to have been done from what I could see. I'll wait til they've finished the whole thing, but it's definitely encouraging that there's already some of it completed!

Advertisement