Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

freezer502 wrote: »
    what would the best area in around dublin 8 to move into, i hear they are all bad but surely that cant be the case.

Somewhere in the Pheonix Park - far and away the best part of D8 I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

what would the best area in around dublin 8 to move into, i hear they are all bad but surely that cant be the case.

I have lived in Inchicore all my life and there is little or no crime in the area. I have often gone to bed with golf clubs on the back seat of my unlocked car with no problem. House break ins are very unusual in the area and ironically since the local chemist was forced to stop selling methadone all the junkies have gone back to the areas they came from. The village area I cant speak for but up at the Jamestown rd area is a lovely place to live. House prices are a good bit higher than Crumlin and Ballyfermot which probably reflects the desirability of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tom Selleck

I'm living in Dublin at the moment, near the Coombe, having problems with certain folks in the area so we're moving out asap. We've seen a house just up past the entrance to the Phoenix Park, what kind of reputation does that area have?I'm female, work usually til 10 or 11 at night and cycle home.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My family move from ballyfermot to rathfarnham way back in the 70s , worst thing we could have done ,i hated the place ...yes its got nice scenery around rathfarnham..nice mountains,parks etc, and some wonderful people ,but some of the lowest lowlifes also live in that area and surrounding suburbs (churchtown ,sandyford , ballinteer) and it was a case of better the devil you know as far as i was concerned.
    At least you knew who was who in ballyer ,but i suppose that was then .....ah well ,just my slant on it ....

rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Phoenix Park is massive, which side?
    Castleknock, Chapelizod, Cabra, we need to know where?

That's interesting latchyco as most people would say Rathfarnham, churchtown ,sandyford & ballinteer are very nice and possibly posh areas.

I suppose there are lowlifes in all areas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Tom Selleck

Sorry, new to Dublin...It's the entrance just around the corner from Heuston station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Quote =micmclo;Phoenix Park is massive, which side?
    Castleknock, Chapelizod, Cabra, we need to know where?

That's interesting latchyco as most people would say Rathfarnham, churchtown ,sandyford & ballinteer are very nice and possibly posh areas.

I suppose there are lowlifes in all areas
    Yes and i agree , those areas are very posh and i am not suggesting for a minute that they are not nice places to live in ,and you wont find nicer people in them , but in between each of those Suburban areas there also pockets of what you might say are ' ****e ' living there as anywere .My opinion might also be based on growing up and going to school there and living on a nice road in ballyfermot were most people looked out for each other regardless of income etc, and we had the phoenix park on our doorstep to play in , but i accept that times have changed now and maybe i'm being a little bit rose colourd glass's ,

ps- i dont live out in rathfarnham anymore .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sorry, new to Dublin...It's the entrance just around the corner from Heuston station.

Islandbridge.
    I've done a search and there is no real info on past threads.
    So start a new thread and you'll definitly get some advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 freezer502

I have lived in Inchicore all my life and there is little or no crime in the area. I have often gone to bed with golf clubs on the back seat of my unlocked car with no problem. House break ins are very unusual in the area and ironically since the local chemist was forced to stop selling methadone all the junkies have gone back to the areas they came from. The village area I cant speak for but up at the Jamestown rd area is a lovely place to live. House prices are a good bit higher than Crumlin and Ballyfermot which probably reflects the desirability of the area.

i will be moving to the area but i heard a bit about st micheals estate near inchicore village,is there any real trouble around that area considering.Would you be able to walk around safe enough at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

i will be moving to the area but i heard a bit about st micheals estate near inchicore village,is there any real trouble around that area considering.Would you be able to walk around safe enough at night.

St micheals estate is gone thankfully.As regards walking around at night in my honest opinion it is no more or less dangerous than any other part of the city. Inchicore is a tiny place with only 3 small housing estates Bulfin, CIE and the ring st area. All three are fine to live in but I am led to believe some of the kids in the area at the back of Richmond Pk are a bit wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 freezer502

St micheals estate is gone thankfully.As regards walking around at night in my honest opinion it is no more or less dangerous than any other part of the city. Inchicore is a tiny place with only 3 small housing estates Bulfin, CIE and the ring st area. All three are fine to live in but I am led to believe some of the kids in the area at the back of Richmond Pk are a bit wild.

cheers for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

nannou4 wrote: »
    The 5 Worst On The Southside would probly be..

Ballyfermot : Total Nightmare Of A Place.'nuff said.
    Would you care to elabourate on this 'total nightmare' you had in Ballyfermot.
    As someone who has lived there all my life I've never heard of this nightmare,so please do share.Is it like a nightmare on elm st? I can't wait to hear it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dubtom wrote: »
    Would you care to elabourate on this 'total nightmare' you had in Ballyfermot.
    As someone who has lived there all my life I've never heard of this nightmare,so please do share.Is it like a nightmare on elm st? I can't wait to hear it.

dubtom, you must realise there are people on this thread that judge an area based on a whizz through in a car or bus one night. They 'know' they are all robbers/junkies/scangers (delete as appropriate) in _________________ (insert name of area).

I thought we had already decided on our list of 'kips' WAY back in this pointless thread.

I saw a drunk in Fiddlefaddlestown once - what a kip that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

spurious wrote: »
    I saw a drunk in Fiddlefaddlestown once - what a kip that is.

It's nowhere near as bad as Ballyblehkip, oh dear, oh dear.. the wannabe scumbags murder people at the chipper.

But some of the things said in the thread aren't too wrong.

Yea i heard about that chipper, a sausage got battered and a couple of cod got smoked.Deadly plaice.

Did you see what I did there.;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i lived in Grey Street, just off Meath Street, and i absolutely loved it, it was the best place i ever lived in my whole life. i moved in there while i was waiting for the purchase of my house to go through - still go back and look at the little cottage somethings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

I live beside O'Devaney Gardens, used to live in Dolphin's Barn and work beside Oliver Bond so I guess I'm pretty screwed. I'd say Ballybough is pretty dodgey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

I'd say Ballybough is pretty dodgey though.

Nah, it's grand - I walk through there everyday and night. Not a sinner in sight around the flats even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

BAllybough is not too bad. A little further up at summerhill is a bit more dodgey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samantha27

Why cant they get out all the known scumbags to the corpo and ship them off to an island for scumbags and let them all rob and fight each other.

• Advertisement

samantha27 wrote: »
    Why cant they get out all the known scumbags to the corpo and ship them off to an island for scumbags and let them all rob and fight each other.

This was already done in an early 90's movie,scumbag island I think it was called. The hero was from hollywood in county down and saved the day in the end,ah it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

Oxfrock used to be very dangerous and then my family moved ouver to Galway. It was hilarious, we apparently had teddy boys (1971) and I was told if I ever went to the other side of Clonkeen rd I would be robbed and murdered. Im quite sure the other children were getting their inside information on local crime directly from their parents. Things got out of hand when I was informed that this hard boy from Monkstown was going to turn up and he would hang us from a tree by ours nutz. When Conleth did make an appearance I laughed internally as even though he had a boys name he was super sissy and used to eat girls cornflakes for breakfast.

I stayed in the Bags of fun flats with a load of junkies in 1977 and although it was quite scary(vivid imagination) it wasnt half as dangerous as the local nick where I had a drunk car thief offering me a go on his magic flute from the opposite cell.The desk sargeant came up to the door with his finger to his lips and made a wild swipe with his truncheon onto the drunks truncheon which by now was happy to see me and would have to be reclassified as a dangerous weapon. I have to point out a this stage that I was very pretty and had shoulder lenght hair. The drunk had been arrested trying to break into an Austin 11/1300 by unlocking the drivers side door, the arresting officer couldnt contain himself as he told all in audible range that the passenger door was unlocked.I think of it now and am amazed that the sargeant missed because the power he exerted could easily have amputated the poor fellow whose last joyful moment before his instant sex change would have been a fourteen year old lady boy playing hard to get and therein after impossible to have. I have never told of this incident before nor do I think will I again , I wouldnt consider it a case of police b*utality as the offending officer was probably jealous and it just got a bit out of hand, luckily not so much as to have to be sown back on. My junky pill popping zoombees had managed to spectacularly fook up a chemist break in they had done the night before, hi Paul ,hi Steo .They got the drugs but couldnt wait and only one of them got back to the car, he was found in the car unconscious and the other three were paved out all over the place. It demonstrates the power of addiction ,that they could not wait five or ten minutes to get somewhere safe. In all the times I was with them on the run from home I never really felt in danger except on one occasion when I was being jokingly set up one night for oral duties by two of the boys. My lack of enthusiasm was such that I suspect they too had fear of amputation. If you have a livid menageration I hope the bird is on hand for to bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

...What?

Neilstown..Darndale dirty scum holes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i would have said ballymun a few years back but its not as bad as it was, still not great by any means.think its a tossup between clondalkin,finglas and coolock/darndale/donaghmede now.nicest area i think is foxrock around westminster road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

coolock!? you mad! i know i live in the nicest part of the area, but it's definitely not among the worst areas of dublin!

darndale, edenmore or finglas, it has to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

doonothing wrote: »
    coolock!? you mad! i know i live in the nicest part of the area, but it's definitely not among the worst areas of dublin!

darndale, edenmore or finglas, it has to be!

15-20 years yes, not anymore though. You can safely walk around the shops at night and won't get any hassle!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

raheny red wrote: »
    You can safely walk around the shops at night and won't get any hassle!

Which is true of almost any area in Dublin.
    Oh dear - no 'worst' area (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

For dereliction, drug addiction, crime and just sheer squalor it has to be this area:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.341034,-6.284802&spn=0.005765,0.014591&z=16&om=1

Most people probably aren't familiar with Basin St because it's a dead-end but believe me it makes Sheriff St look like Foxrock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

raheny red wrote: »
    15-20 years yes, not anymore though. You can safely walk around the shops at night and won't get any hassle!

Ah in fairness now you'll surely get some hassle, esp outside Eugene's late at night! ;)
    Edenmore aint so bad now it's true but I wouldnt move back there. It hasnt settled down nearly enough yet.

dont know where the earlier poster was coming from with the Edenmore/Coolock/donaghmede comments, I've been in far far worse areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

latenia wrote: »
    For dereliction, drug addiction, crime and just sheer squalor it has to be this area:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.341034,-6.284802&spn=0.005765,0.014591&z=16&om=1

Most people probably aren't familiar with Basin St because it's a dead-end but believe me it makes Sheriff St look like Foxrock.

I live near there, have strolled down the street.
    Meh.

Queue on Thursday mornings is out the door in the post office, but didn't think much of the street tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement