Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio Is Fascinating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Ah you were the missing person !, you must have been due to attend in the morning so ? I remember them saying they’d wait a few more mins .

Yep 60% pass in A and B .

Ah I could be doing it again in November myself haha hopefully not.

Shame you couldn’t make it make sure and re apply ASAP and don’t leave it too late.

I had told them about a month before that I would not be able to make it and to keep me on the list for the November exam. They said it was no problem.

Either the information didn't get passed on or that was another person who didn't turn up?

So I should be on the list for the next exam (they have carried over the fee that I paid )...From my records, they informed me of the date of the May exam in January, so hopefully the November date should be announced in August (ish)?

Shyboy wrote: »
    I had told them about a month before that I would not be able to make it and to keep me on the list for the November exam. They said it was no problem.

Either the information didn't get passed on or that was another person who didn't turn up?

So I should be on the list for the next exam (they have carried over the fee that I paid )...From my records, they informed me of the date of the May exam in January, so hopefully the November date should be announced in August (ish)?

Na I'd say then they were waiting for someone else.

No Idea when the November exam will be announced. But if you have the email records I'm sure they will have no problem finding a place in the exam for you in the morning or afternoon. ( I could be there with you haha )

One thing I will say is travel early, I was in rush hour, mad time for the exam other than that I would have driven but driving from Carlow would have been a headache, the M7/N7 is bad enough without trying to get up the m50 to the tunnel or crossing the city at that time.

There are two multi story car parks close by, convention centre and one I can't remember I saw passing on the Luas.

I got out of Heuston station and onto the Luas, it was packed had to wait for 3rd which was also jammed and they announced it was only going as far as Smithfield but luckily the line opened again after a while.

Definitely, the Luas is a horrible, horrible place to be at rush hour, I had no idea how bad it actually is.

The train from Carlow was packed up and on the way home. Not enough trains run, incredible.

Now I know why people take cars.......

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

had a job interview up around there once, got the job but no way in hell would i work up there.

micko45 wrote: »
    had a job interview up around there once, got the job but no way in hell would i work up there.

Indeed , it's a hard place to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Well Mad_Lad me and you are of the same opinion a Radio should look and sound like a Radio and not an advanced bit of Software. I am also Auld school have a Yaesu Frog for SWL -thats my Rig of choice and can not fault it for quality and sound. Have a host of other radio's mostly vintage but if I get the elusive EI this time I would be looking at a Yaesu FT757 as used it on Special events and its set up and quality are a breeze..... anyway we'll see here's hoping.

• Advertisement

Malmsteen wrote: »
    Well Mad_Lad me and you are of the same opinion a Radio should look and sound like a Radio and not an advanced bit of Software. I am also Auld school have a Yaesu Frog for SWL -thats my Rig of choice and can not fault it for quality and sound. Have a host of other radio's mostly vintage but if I get the elusive EI this time I would be looking at a Yaesu FT757 as used it on Special events and its set up and quality are a breeze..... anyway we'll see here's hoping.

The FT-757 is a nice looking classic rig alright, similar in appearance to the FT-77.

They're getting harder to find in good nic.

I also like the FT-450D it's not bad looking for a much more modern rig, that might be my next rig if I pass the exam after I use the FT-77 for a while, I don't want to get rid of that.

The likes of the ICOM IC-7300 are nice radios but I feel People just spend all their time playing with menus and going to the next signal on the waterfall than actually talking on the thing.

The other option is the FT-3000, it's supposed to have very good sounding Audio for a radio with DSP. So I think this would be the important thing for me and they are not going for a bad price either because everyone wants the 7300 but the 7300 is rather old now for a radio with such tech. And it's not actually a proper full SDR either I believe.

The new FTdx-101 is supposed to have amazing filtering and great sounding audio too.

I was toying with the idea of a FT-1000 MKV but they are expensive and as with any of those old radios if something goes wrong you probably won't find parts too easy and probably won't find anyone to fix it in Ireland either.

I would like if they did make newer normal looking radios but I think screens and sdr are the future, they can be sdr but they can make them without screens in attractive enclosures.

The FTdx-101 is actually a nice looking rig but I hate that 3D waterfall a gimmick but it can be turned to a normal 2D waterfall.

Don't get me wrong I use SDR regularly, I have 2 Kiwi's online and I use them a lot, SDR has it's advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Can hear 95b FM from New Zealand ... coming in crystal clear - https://radio.org.nz/#95bfm

https://www.tentec.com/

These radios look interesting, simple and no cluttered menu system. Never saw these before.

I got the comreg registration email , will hopefully activate it soon.

Have to admit my heart is thumping now!

I registered, don't know where I'd find the results when they appear, perhaps under "Account then click qualifications" ?

• Advertisement

Still no Email here but wishing you the Best of Luck Mad_Lad....

Still no Email here but wishing you the Best of Luck Mad_Lad....

Thanks, you too Malmsteen ! ;)

I don't believe it !

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement !!!!!
    :D

uFm0WAS.jpg?1

I don't believe it !

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement !!!!!
    :D

uFm0WAS.jpg?1

Well done, Mad_Lad!! Huge Congratulations!! :)

Shyboy wrote: »
    Well done, Mad_Lad!! Huge Congratulations!! :)

Thanks a mil, hopefully it will be you in November. ;)

Now the final wait for the EI call sign, I just applied.

Should have done all this years ago but my previous QTH was in an old terrace estate with tiny garden and I lots of horrible QRM form a neighbours TV that was on form 8am to about 2am 365 days a year , it basically wiped out all but the strongest of signals, it was incredible but, if I had to realise how much I could have done at the time , such as portable operation I would have got the licence a lot sooner but better late than never.

Thanks a mil, hopefully it will be you in November. ;)

Fingers crossed...:)

Wow,

I got my EI already ! happy days ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

well done from a fellow EI :)

bassy wrote: »
    well done from a fellow EI :)

Thank you very much ! :D

• Advertisement

My first QSO was with a local friend.

2nd was with LA1CI near Oslo, Norway on 80 meters, happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Thank you very much ! :D

your welcome aboard :)

Great stuff Mad_Lad delighted for ya will be watching my emails today then with hope :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

I got my EI already ! happy days ! :D

Well done, welcome to the EI club.

Great stuff Mad_Lad delighted for ya will be watching my emails today then with hope :-/

Thanks a lot, yep fingers crossed. I’m sure they won’t update everyone the same day. Best of luck !

micko45 wrote: »
    Well done, welcome to the EI club.

Cheers , it’s a great feeling I have to say, I was happy the old FT-77 and antenna got to Norway on 80 Meters ! :D not a bad 2nd qso.

Actually the North or Norway. Better again !

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

Thanks a lot, yep fingers crossed. I’m sure they won’t update everyone the same day. Best of luck !

Well done on your achievement.
    Are you doing the CW as well ?

65535 wrote: »
    Well done on your achievement.
    Are you doing the CW as well ?

I plan to eventually as this would interest me a lot.

Any good ideas on studying CW ?

What's involved in applying for CW exam ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Smiler_Joe

I plan to eventually as this would interest me a lot.

Any good ideas on studying CW ?

What's involved in applying for CW exam ?
    Plenty of morse-teaching apps are available, e.g. Morse Trainer on Android

See IRTS web site, under Licensing / Morse Test for information about applying for the CW exam

Advertisement