Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EI2MOG now on air!

Options
  • 25-07-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

EI2MOG now on air!

Dundalk Amateur Radio Society are now operating a Echolink internet gateway link on 145.2125Mhz simplex. The link has been issued the callsign EI2MOG by Comreg and node number 57007 by Echolink. EI2MOG will operate 24/7 from it's location at Mount Oriel, Co.Louth, coverage reports are now welcome via email to
    info@ei7dar.com Further details can be found at http://www.ei7dar.com

For details on other gateways in Ireland please visit
    http://www.echoireland.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

Good luck with the new node I have used it a few times and its coverage is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

how do i access these echolink nodes i receive a few but can never access them? should there be a pip back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dundalk EI7DAR

[FONT=&quot]Basic Operating Guidelines[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please listen on the frequency before transmitting; as this is a simplex gateway and not a repeater, you may not instantly know whether someone local is currently transmitting to it. If you listen long enough, and someone is already using it, you may well hear a couresty-tone , which shows that they have dropped carrier, and then in a few moments you may hear the other side of their QSO. Having listened, the next step is to see if the gateway is active – please look at the list of commands below. You will not be able to “blip it up” like a repeater, but if you press your PTT and send “08” in DTMF tones, you should hear whether the link is on and connected. You may also hear “EI2MOG-L” sent in Morse Code, as there is a beacon facility here (in fact it is a licence requirement), or some other identifying station announcement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Once you are sure that the gateway is not being used, you can use it to connect to any conference, repeater, link, or individual currently on-line, by pressing your PTT and entering the node number with your DTMF keypad. You can find out who is currently on-line here www.echolink.org/el/logins.jsp . Let me explain a little about the terms “conference”, “repeater”, “link”, and “individual”.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CONFERENCE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: a server-based facility in which two or more Echolink stations can “sit”. Usually these facilities are made for a specific purpose, e.g. to group together several repeaters and/or links, maybe for geographical or linguistic reasons. Transmissions made via one repeater or link in the conference will be heard over all of them. EI2MOG-L may well spend periods of times sitting in a conference (often it will be the IRELAND conference – see www.echoireland.com ); I will have decided when to do so, but the link’s presence there will be at the discretion of the sysop (system operator) of the conference. If he or she does not like the way people operate the link, it could well be muted or excluded. If there is no traffic currently on the conference, you may still set up a connection, using your DTMF tones, with another Echolink user, but I would suggest putting out a CQ call, to see if anyone is listening anywhere. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]REPEATER[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: just like the ordinary repeater where you are located, but with an added Echolink facility. Local mobile traffic takes priority, and you may find it difficult to break in to an established QSO; but once you have been noticed and called in by one of the stations local to the repeater, they will make it clear when they are putting it over to you. Leave a few seconds’ gap when it is put over to you, to compensate for internet time lags and for the repeater logic to re-set itself (i.e. give its “k” to local operators – which you might not hear).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]LINK[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: If you’re on EI2MOG-L you’re on a link! A link receives your signal on a simplex frequency and sends it via the internet to a remote station; then it transmits back to you, on the simplex frequency, what is coming down the internet connection from the remote station.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]INDIVIDUAL[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Individual stations are always computer based, and are not on the air. Try not to ignore calls from operators of such stations, and do not say to yourself “This isn’t real amateur radio”. I have known several amateurs for whom this is the only way they can contact fellow amateurs, and for them it is a life-line to their hobby – take, for example, an operator of my acquaintance in Tokyo, in a small apartment where he can’t erect an HF antenna, and where the VHF repeaters are constantly jammed. There are also a number of blind or disabled amateurs who use this facility. Individual stations, like anyone else on Echolink, have had their call signs verified by the people at www.echolink.org , so you can be fairly confident you are talking to a licensed amateur.[/FONT]

Please see http://www.ei7dar.com/gateway.html for DTMF commands etc.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

excellent explanation will give it a go from the mobile in the morning, base rig has no dtmf unfortunately, have always wondered how these work and now i do thanks again keep up the good work, the club really is doing amateur radio justice in EI

Thanks
    Declan
    EI2GFB

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

Hi there realise this Thread is over 10years old but very new to Echolink digital mode and looking online its abit of a Minefield but just wondering if anyone can tell me the basic Does and Donts with Echolink or have updated links for use of Echolink.

Many Thanks.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 DaveColt

Toss are you on here? Dave EI7BFB

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

Did you wait for the beep? You didn't wait for the beep, see?
    Some people will never learn.

Advertisement