Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTB mortgage when building work needed

• 24-02-2019 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi everyone

Any tips on getting a mortgage approved to buy a house that needs work? There's running water and elec but it will need cleaning up and some structural changes inside.
    I rang the bank who said I would need to provide costings before they would consider a mortgage, and if there was any mention of development potential they wouldn't lend.
    Of course now the problem is if I get a builder in to quote for materials and labour or whatever, its probably going to push the cost of the whole thing beyond what I can afford. Whereas I would actually be happy to move in and clean it as well as paint it etc on my own and get the work done in time when I have the money.
    But how do I pitch that to the bank. Do I need a mortgage broker?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll need to convince them the work is not severe and that you can fund the lot from earnings over mortgage payments. Broker is unlikely to assist much here.

The more dire the warnings in the estate agent ad the harder that will be (and is one reason why they seriously underplay this usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

The facade looks fine but part of the inside is a horror show. The estate agent's opener on the ad is something along the lines of "calling investors for development opportunity."
    I want to make it a home.
    Would I need to provide costings before they'd send out a valuer or surveyor? Can I send a builder in to do up a quote? Or am i wasting my time.
    If I wasnt approved as a first time buyer would it be classed as a commercial mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

How bad is a horror show?

I would get a surveyor out ASAP, considering now might be the worst time to get any work done on a house price wise, everything will be over inflated due to lack of builders and trades.

Is the house habitable? Heating, light etc?

If you can live in it, and it is structurally sound you may get away with it for a few years while you save up money to modernize it. Then the prices of building may have come down a bit. I got a builder out to look at some houses we were looking at, some in very bad condition and others. It so bad but on a whole the prices were crazy! Some builders priced so high that it was like they didn’t want the job.

Your best bet is getting a surveyor, to see any major defects that could be too costly to repair.
    The facade looks fine but part of the inside is a horror show. The estate agent's opener on the ad is something along the lines of "calling investors for development opportunity."
    I want to make it a home.
    Would I need to provide costings before they'd send out a valuer or surveyor? Can I send a builder in to do up a quote? Or am i wasting my time.
    If I wasnt approved as a first time buyer would it be classed as a commercial mortgage?

Advertisement