Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searchable newspaper archives?

• 16-12-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Is there somewhere that I can search ALL newspaper archives for names/Events?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The archive holders are very protective of their search interfaces and most are buried / captchaed for free searches. I can't see how there could be, even for Ireland where there's only two-and-a-half archives (INA, BNA, Irish Times)

The beyond awful OCR of the INA is something I'd think needs addressing more urgently than a tri-site search interface anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

In short, no.

You'll need to do the British Newspaper Archive, the Irish News Archive and the Irish Times to get the best cross-section of Irish newspapers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Do bear in mind that the British Newspaper Archive is the same newspaper archive that's available at Find My Past.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It is - but I find it's really difficult to search.

Eg: I can search for the same thing in both websites, knowing it's there, and not find it on the FMP version. Something with their algorithm is not right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I haven't used the British Newspaper Archive website more than once or twice so I can't compare and contrast. I haven't had too many issues with the Find My Past newspaper archive and I really like that you can search exclusively for family notices. Irish News Archive take note!

I only mention the BNA/ FMP crossover for those who aren't aware of it as a sub to Find My Past may be more attractive as you get the newspapers and everything else.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement