Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Deirdre - Saturday 15 December 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The Low can be seen on the ECM projected to drop from 1000hPa at 22.00 Fri to 976 hPa at 18.00 Sat , drop of 24 hPa in 20 hrs , a weather bomb, explosive cyclogenseiss. This could get nasty.

Yikes :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The other models haven't caught up with the ECM, AROME about the closest perhaps. ECM showing the strongest winds over Ireland atm. Now if those strong winds off the S coast move a bit closer to Ireland......

tempresult_qxm2.gif

5297_won1.png

7313_rkb6.png

6424_kla7.png

BDLcirY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

End of the world, we’re all gonna die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

could we go orange i wonder ?

It's not unprecedented but far more likely on Friday when the end-of-term teenage discos are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Andrew00 wrote: »
    End of the world, we’re all gonna die

i suppose somebody potentially could,
    like in the recent storms weve had.

lets hope everyone stays safe,

i hope my pussy will be ok,she hates the storms.

off now to apply fake tan and lock myself in the basement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

YKylam7.png

be5Pqg4.png

gptxeYw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Most of the guidance would suggest that the really strong winds develop off the south coast and swing around towards south Wales, so I tend to think this will be more about rain than wind for Ireland, however, if there's any slight change to the details then these very strong winds could sweep into southeast Ireland tomorrow afternoon. It's the elongation of the low pressure that might spare Ireland from seeing the very strong gusts, but if that elongation is replaced by a more circular low during the final phases, then I would change this analysis towards 120 km/hr gusts hitting Wexford at least, possibly further west and north.

As to rainfall, this will be a moisture laden system capable of dropping 30 to 50 mm of rain on top of recent substantial falls, would have to imagine that some watersheds are reaching saturation and won't be able to deal with this additional load without flooding. Certainly some temporary roadway flooding is likely starting late tonight and continuing to come and go with pulses of heavier rain tomorrow (a track from Kerry and west Cork northeast into east Ulster looks like getting the heaviest amounts).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Reminded me of an old programm called "Are you being served "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I nearly spat out my tea.

I do think this merits an orange alert for rainfall if not for wind. Expect to see that upgrade tonight. The system is complex enough that I wouldn't try to get too fancy with where orange and where yellow, just go all orange. We'll see. Some coastal fringes could verify orange alert for wind too, but the rain potential does concern me more so far. A general alert should go out to drivers to watch for surface water and hydroplaning potential especially given it's a Saturday before Christmas, you might tend to have a lot of rather inexperienced drivers making day trips outside their usual familiar surroundings. That motorway from Limerick to Kildare will no doubt have some nasty driving conditions much of the day, if this verifies.

• Advertisement

There could be a spinoff thread for AH the way this is going. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy now in Dublin 16. Bins and outside Christmas lights all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very windy now in Dublin 16. Bins and outside Christmas lights all over the place!

Tell me about it I was out with the dog. Calmed down for a bit but seems to be picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Jaysus that's the scariest thing i've read on a weather forum:eek:

It's far more frightening than a red warning. Puts Ophelia, the Beast from the East/Emma into context.

Keep us updated on your feline friend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a difference in wind in Dublin atm. Casement gusting 24kts and Dublin AP gusting 28kts. Meanwhile, in DunLaoghaire its gusting 44kts (with gust a little earlier of 47kts).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

'Quote:
    squarecircles'
    'could we go orange i wonder '
    It's not unprecedented but far more likely on Friday when the end-of-term teenage discos are on.

A bit unfair on the younger generation;) They all don't look like Oompa Lumpas. Betya Sryan doesn't:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Quite a difference in wind in Dublin atm. Casement gusting 24kts and Dublin AP gusting 28kts. Meanwhile, in DunLaoghaire its gusting 44kts (with gust a little earlier of 47kts).

Windy would be an overstatement here in Dublin 5, breezy at best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

65km/h the Max gust here in Waterford City. Sheets of heavy drizzle falling.
    As MT said an Orange Warning is possible especially for rain but also wind given the ECM output. I know which model i would trust more in this situation and its the ECM.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Very strange. Nothing here in d12. And we normal live in a wind tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wonder why it's not Orange for wind now, Just said on the weather forecast there will be stormy and damaging wind gusts tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

High End Yellow Warnings according to Siobhan on the forecast after the news. She did stress damaging gusts likely. Update after the Late Late show. Wouldn't surprise me to see an upgrade to Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

High End Yellow Warnings according to Siobhan on the forecast after the news. She did stress damaging gusts likely. Update after the Late Late show. Wouldn't surprise me to see an upgrade to Orange.

Would that mean they would name it

could we go orange i wonder ?

You could if you use too much fake tan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain just after starting here in cork city.

Would that mean they would name it

It is in Met Eireann criteria that if an Orange Warning is issued the storm would be named but recently we had a similar situation and the Storm wasn't named.
    Wouldn't be much point in naming the storm at this late stage anyway in my opinion. We will see if there are any updates later tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Work for the ambulance service and dread days like tomorrow.
    There's nothing worse than being out and about at RTC's in this weather.
    And with everyone out christmas shopping there's bound to be increased traffic on the roads.

I'm glad I'm not working. But I'll still be making a trip into town. I'm just going to take it handy and give it plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Considering the forcast - is this weather system likley to be given a name?

Bet they're having a conference about it now ... as UK even more likely to see disruptive weather. The low itself is slowly taking shape out around 45N 22W. No strong winds at ocean buoy "PAP" yet (49N 16W) just a steady 20-25 knot southerly.

ICON 18Z looking more like the ECM now . The SE and E and NW looking windy from early morning. Increased wind speeds on this run in the S, SE , and E of the country from tomorrow afternoon. Looks like gusts somewhere around 110 to 120 km/h for a time along the S, SE and later the E . Probably 90 to 100 km/h in the, W and NW for a time tomorrow afternoon / evening.

The models have been upgrading this now for a number of runs bringing the strongest winds closer and more inland. Have we reached the peak or could we see higher winds ?

tempresult_trc7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'd say the cold front passage will be the most dramatic of this event, a 5c or 6c drop and a sudden wind direction change. I predict a notable squall line forming as she crosses tomorrow late afternoon.

Advertisement