Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

psra waiting list time

Options
  • 05-05-2018 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I own 3 student apartments which are managed by one management company. Said company as of late 2017 (they do now) did not deny fiddling the rental receipts for my apartments so the management company owner could put more money in his pocket. In late 2017 till early 2018 I tried to negotiate terms with the management company which would ensure that about 50% of the rent received would go into my pocket. The manager of the company continued to agree to my terms verbally but then denied in writing that an agreement had been made. I decided that it would be impossible to come to an agreement which would be honored by the other side, so decided take over managing my apartments myself after the 2017/2018 academic year finished. Knowing the fondness the manager has for my money, and the lack of willingness he would have to give up control of my apartments. I decided that it would be best to report him to the PSRA for the return of the money he fiddled in 2015/16/17, and let the PSRA decide how much (if any) the management would be able to control my apartments after I take over as self management.
    I made the complaint in March and it was accepted as complete and received on April 3rd. I expected to see some progress by the end of April, so having had no news I wrote again to the PSRA at the beginning of May. Today I received a reply implying that my complaint will not go to assessment dept until late 2018 and could take years to be sorted out.
    This situation is not good enough. I have already made plans to live in one of my apartments for the 2018/19 academic year, and before June 2018 it has to be established who is in charge of my apartments. In theory I could arrive at the apartment complex in June, and be denied access to my own apartments. Then I would have to live in a hotel for a year whilst the PSRA get round to examining the complaint that I was denied access to my own apartment.
    I understand that if denied access to my apartment I could take the matter to court, but this would be too messy

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Why would you have to live in a hotel? Can't you live in another apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are going to have to go to court. You are either going to have to force the PSRA to act through the courts or else take action yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

THis is an answer to 4 ensic 15 Did you read my post? I stated "I own 3 student apartments which are managed by one management company" Now if the management company wish to deny me access to one of my apartments then logically they would deny me access to all my apartments.
    I suspect they would not deny access, but would state something like the following. In order for beaufoy to obtain self management rights and access to live in one of his apartments we will require compensation of the following
    1)Cancellation of debts owed by us the management company to beaufoy...about 5000 euro.
    2) A substantial premium to the standard OMC fees in order to compensate the OMC for our lost revenue.
    Of course said conditions would be unacceptable, and I would have to wait 6 months plus for the PSRA to get involved, so I would in effect be unable to live in any of my three apartments.
    Having said that I do actually own an apartment in Dublin which has been rented to the same tenants for several years. Now normally I would not be able to effict said tenants, but if the management company effectively refuse me access to my student apartment then I will be able effict my Dublin tenants and live in said apartment until the PSRA find the time to look at my complaint and tell the student village management company that they cannot refuse to pay money owed to me and increase my charges in the future just because I want to self manage and live in one of my apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

You are going to have to go to court. You are either going to have to force the PSRA to act through the courts or else take action yourself.

I did expect the answer would be go to court to take action against the management company, and forget about the PSRA as they are too slow and ineffective. However, you have given me a new idea ie use the court to force the PSRA to act.........Is this a normal procedure? How do I go about asking the court to tell the PSRA to do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

beaufoy wrote: »
    I did expect the answer would be go to court to take action against the management company, and forget about the PSRA as they are too slow and ineffective. However, you have given me a new idea ie use the court to force the PSRA to act.........Is this a normal procedure? How do I go about asking the court to tell the PSRA to do their job

You get lawyers to research the issue and find out if PSRA are under an obligation to act. In some areas of law this can be effective. I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement