Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question on rent raise notice letter

• 01-12-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello,

I just got a letter from my landlord ( company ) requesting 275 euro increase per month which is 3300 euro per year. Just to cover this I have to earn at least 6600 euro more next year before tax which likely not possible. If I disagree to pay the requested raise, what options have I got ?

I'm after living in this one bedroom apartment for the last 7.5 years. The apartment development was in receivership quite a while then, recently sold to a private company and this is the first news from them.

The letter states that the new rental rate will take effect as of 6/1/2015. How many months can I live here with the existing rental rate legally before I can find another property?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The landlord is permitted to review the rent once every 12 months and increase it if they wish, the only restriction is they may not exceed the current market rate. They must give 28 days notice.

If you believe that the new rent is above market rates you may raise a claim with the PRTB, which will put the increase on hold, however if the PRTB rule against you, you will have to pay the difference from the date the new rent applied.

If you wish to vacate, you must give 56 days notice to vacate under a part 4 tenancy or under the terms of your lease if there is one in place.

Advertisement