Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NPPR has not been declared

• 13-08-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Friend of mine was with solicitor today , and was told that he has to declare his 2nd residence .
    He has never paid NPPR , and needs to register by 31st August deadline .

Can anyone tell me how much is outstanding at this stage , and what type of easy payments will the Local Authority accept ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

When you register online, you tick all the boxes and it adds it up for you. A friend missed 2012 and 2013 and owed 1000. 620ish for 2012 and 380ish for 2103. It gets massively expensive quickly.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Go here then go to the FAQ section - there is a table of Charges & Late Payment Fees noted and further down the list there is Late Payment Fees section;
    A person who does not pay a NPPR charge by the payment date leaves themselves open to prosecution by the Local Authority to whom the payment is due. A late payment fee will also arise if payment is not made by the payment date - see above. Furthermore, both the NPPR charge and any accumulated late payment fee will be a charge against the property concerned and will continue to be such for twelve years after the charge or late payment fees concerned became due. Any NPPR charges or late payment fees due on a residential property will have to be discharged, in full, before a transfer or sale of the property can be completed.
    The table below outlines the NPPR charge and the corresponding late payment fees for each year at monthly intervals.

Only the local authority can advise on a payment plan, so I would suggest you contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

Go here then go to the FAQ section - there is a table of Charges & Late Payment Fees noted and further down the list there is Late Payment Fees section;

Only the local authority can advise on a payment plan, so I would suggest you contact them directly.

After reading through the FAQ above , it looks like the amount outstanding to December 2013 is 3920 euro .

I see it seems to have ended there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

nunn351 wrote: »
    Friend of mine was with solicitor today , and was told that he has to declare his 2nd residence .
    He has never paid NPPR , and needs to register by 31st August deadline .

Can anyone tell me how much is outstanding at this stage , and what type of easy payments will the Local Authority accept ?

If never paid it will be €4220 if paid or a payment plan agreed with LA before August 31.

If not paid or agreed, it will be fixed at €7230 with a charge against the property for 12 years (not sure if that's from the original date or Sep 1st 2014).

It's all over the papers and radio now:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/property-owners-risk-penalty-of-7-230-as-amnesty-ends-1.1894607

I am curious as to what happens if the property isn't sold or transferred before the 12 years is up. Not sure if the LAs will chase for it before that.

After reading through the FAQ above , it looks like the amount outstanding to December 2013 is 3920 euro .

I see it seems to have ended there .

You've read it wrong. Ring the local authority and sort it out, you can't really escape it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There are 4 people on my road that will be hit, they are all nearly pensioners or pensioners.

Not 2nd homes as such but houses that were never transferred out of the previous owners name. The houses are only worth about €50,000, and need another 10k spent on them to make them warm.

if the fees and charges increase any further on the 12 years, the revenue will own the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

You might find this thread on AAM interesting. As I am a new user I cant yet post links just put askaboutmoney before the following....

/showthread.php?t=188723

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There are 4 people on my road that will be hit, they are all nearly pensioners or pensioners.

Not 2nd homes as such but houses that were never transferred out of the previous owners name. The houses are only worth about €50,000, and need another 10k spent on them to make them warm.

if the fees and charges increase any further on the 12 years, the revenue will own the house.

why weren't they transferred out of the previous owner's name ?
    4 houses on one road where the houses are in the wrong name seems really weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Are owners now receiving letters advising them they have an outstanding NPPR charge?

Any idea what type payment plan could be arranged ? It will take at least 4 years to pay €4500

• Advertisement

Any idea what type payment plan could be arranged ? It will take at least 4 years to pay €4500

Ask the local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The first we heard about this was on the news tonight. We rented out our house in sept 2013 while we moved to a different county & we now rent a house to live in ourselves. Does anyone know what we are liable for as the house was only rented for 3 months in 2013? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Samsgirl wrote: »
    The first we heard about this was on the news tonight. We rented out our house in sept 2013 while we moved to a different county & we now rent a house to live in ourselves. Does anyone know what we are liable for as the house was only rented for 3 months in 2013? Cheers

I don't know what you're liable for, but it's nothing to do with your original house being rented out - it's to do with owning it in the first place, while not living in it. Even if it's vacant you're liable.

FAQ's are here

Ask the local authority

Have been talking to Local Authority they said drop it in next week ( the 4220 that is )

Now notice that another €20 is added on every month that the amount is outstanding and if you pay over the counter you pay a charge of €10 every time

Have been talking to Local Authority they said drop it in next week ( the 4220 that is )

Now notice that another €20 is added on every month that the amount is outstanding and if you pay over the counter you pay a charge of €10 every time

The local authorities make up their own procedures, they are not standard across every LA across the country. The only people who can answer your questions in relation to payment of arrears & penalties is the LA you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dafooza

Hi, just to let you know in relation tonppr charge if u owned or owned a second property between 2009 and 2013 you are liable for this charge which was 200e annually.if you failed to pay this (LIKE I DID) you are now liable for 4220e payable on or bafore the last friday of this month.thereafter it increases to 7320e.if you contact your local councilthey will be more than happy to deal with you and come to an arrangement on payments to clear your bill.you can space it out over a number of years, say 100e a month as I have just done today.its up to you but I would not ignore this.if you choose to ignore it no one yet knows where this fine will stop over a period of years hope this is of benefit to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tigger wrote: »
    why weren't they transferred out of the previous owner's name ?
    4 houses on one road where the houses are in the wrong name seems really weird

They are old houses and are small, when the original owners died other people took them over, they wouldn't have been seen as family homes at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lifestooshort

can anyone clarify if local authorities have been given 11 years to collect outstanding NPPR charge liabilities and 31 March 2025 is the date that has been chosen that all charges will be defunct and the property is free to be sold/passed on with no charges attached?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

can anyone clarify if local authorities have been given 11 years to collect outstanding NPPR charge liabilities and 31 March 2025 is the date that has been chosen that all charges will be defunct and the property is free to be sold/passed on with no charges attached?

Please provide a reference to where you're getting this from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If you had any bills posted to the rented address dated March or April of 2013 year that'll be enough to say you were living in the house for the full 12 months.

Unless you declared the rental income?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They are old houses and are small, when the original owners died other people took them over, they wouldn't have been seen as family homes at the time.
    What other people? Family? If these other people were living in these properties then there us no NPPR liability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

If you had any bills posted to the rented address dated March or April of 2013 year that'll be enough to say you were living in the house for the full 12 months.

Unless you declared the rental income?

But surely if they were living in the house on 31 March 2013, then it was their principal private residence at the relevant date and as such the charge wouldn't apply for that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am sure there are plenty of folk who jumped on the "bugger them, I'm not paying that corrupt tax" bandwagon, egg'd on by the lefties who told everyone not to pay, and who are now up to their eyes in debt and are going to have to pay it someway.

environ.ie - the following titled document appears
    local government reform act 2014
    nppr charge - outstanding liabilities
    guidance note for city and county councils
    dept of the environment, community and local government

then under section 2.9 titled certificates of discharge and exemption, you will see reference to the abolition of these charges.

also on the oireachtas.ie site, there is a document titled LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORM BILL 2013 and under section 32 (3), you will again find reference to the 12 year time limit on these charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you even remotely suspect that you may owe this tax you must contact your local authority before 31st August as the penalty is going to escalate on that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

How do you mean "took them over" , are you saying that people died with no wills and other people took possession of these houses unofficially?
    Well then either these houses are soo off the grid that revenue won't find them or they belong to someone
    If that someone turns out to be the occupiers (squatters rights or whatnot ) then there is no nppr on the house and if the owner is someone else then they will vegetating a house they had forgotten about on didn't know about for cheap

Link here

Note- just because it is not a charge against the property- does not mean it cannot be chased by the council or local authority- it simply means, its no longer a specific charge against the property.

If you want to play mind games with the council for the next 11 years- fine- do so- however- if you look at the other provisions- including using the sheriff to enforce dues and fines- you are setting yourself up for a torrid time.......

But it may be of help to all the emigrants who lost their jobs and are trying to make a living for themselves in UK, Canada, Australia, Dubai etc and cannot afford to come home until 15 to 20 years time. I don't know how revenue can chase them outside of the Irish jurisdiction and at least its one less charge for them to worry about when they do return to retire?

• Advertisement

But it may be of help to all the emigrants who lost their jobs and are trying to make a living for themselves in UK, Canada, Australia, Dubai etc and cannot afford to come home until 15 to 20 years time. I don't know how revenue can chase them outside of the Irish jurisdiction and at least its one less charge for them to worry about when they do return to retire?

They can come back. They can still be pursued.
    The lien is no longer on the property- the debt has not however been extinguished (its just that bit more difficult for the council/authority to chase it).

In any event- if they are going abroad for the period- are they going to leave the house to rack and ruin- you'd be amazed at how fast even a brand-new property will deteriorate in 10 years, if it has zero upkeep. Or if it is tended, and has occupants- whats the story with property tax, water rates etc etc? However bad it is having the councils and local authorities chasing you for unpaid NPPR dues- its a doosie compared to having the Revenue Commissioners on your back- and remember they compound @ 12%- ontop of all the penalties etc.

You're really whipping a dead horse on this one.

Advertisement