Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with return of deposit.

• 12-11-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Long story short:
    Was renting with 2 others. We left after our lease terminated. Had to hound the estate agency to get deposit back, or even an explanation as to the delay. I took on the responsibility of writing to estate agency twice [after I had a horrible phone call with him as I found him to be scathing and unprofessional]. Anyway, requested in writing that he clarify the situation.

Find out today that deposit is returned and deposited in 1 of other ex tenants accounts. She was asked to transfer 200 less than I was supposed to get to my accuont, due to 'smoke damage' in my room. I am a non smoker, and other than a few candles being burned, I don't understand how there could be 200 witheld for this.

I should add, I was friends with these 2 tenants, but relationships are strained at the moment due to this. I feel very frustrated, and to put it quite simply 'shafted' as the agency took an immediate dislike towards me, and actually requested that 200 was removed from my deposit. They got full deposits.

I have requested evidence of the transaction that the landlord made from my ex housemate to ensure it was indeed 200 less. I also want her to give me in writing, the reason she was given for making said deduction. They both have their full amounts, and I am -200. I would have no problem if I had broken something or damaged something, but 'smoke damage'??

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

What can I do if she won't give me the documentation? Will the PRTB entertain me as just 1 person even though the house was rented as a whole? I asked for their PPS numbers to open a dispute and they are refusing to cooperate - they 'want nothing to do with it'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Please help. I'm at a complete loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you seen the supposed damage or is it just their word so far? Because if you havent seen it then the first thing I would do would be request that you be allowed to. Then ask them to get quotes to back up their claim that whatever damage they are claiming is going to cost €200 to fix.

Did you take pictures and make a list of all damage when you moved in? I know its a bit late now, but this is very important when renting as it gives you a much stronger case in situations like this.

Thank you for your reply.

At the moment, I am taking the ex housemates word on this, of which I now have my suspicions about as she is reluctant to get involved in making the complaint.

I thought I would be best to have A] proof of the amount that was paid into her account, so the landlord can't come back and say "actually, the full deposit was returned" and B] the reason in writing that was given to her for MY €200 being deducted. The letting agency was extremely rude to me before when I made an enquiry and I am not a confrontational person at all.

Seeing as she won't give me either of these two things, just wondering where that leaves me? Request written response with details of the supposed damage, along with receipts from letting agency? He has already not responded to 2 of my registered letters! I don't have an address for the landlord, and all business was through the agency anyway.

As an aside, I've learned a lot about friendship!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It might be worth contacting Threshold to get advise about this one, and/or involving PRTB. If the agent wont respond to your letters then you need to get some help.

Was all the money supposed to be given back to your friend who then would divide it between you? Is it possible that she caused the damage and decided to keep your deposit instead of losing her own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It sounds like your friend is trying to steal €200 from you. tell the friend that you are going to make a complaint to the guards about it and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

start by talking to the landlord / agent.

you dont even know if this €200 has actually been witheld or if this ex friend is trying to pull a fast one.

if they have witheld the deposit then ask for reciepts for any work done to repair the smoke damage as you are entitled to these. And I dont mean crappy hand written receipts your entitled to proper vat reciepts.

if your still not happy and have a dispute tell them you will be contacting the PRTB to raise a dispute and do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Seeing as she won't give me either of these two things, just wondering where that leaves me?
    Sounds like she's shafting you. Get onto the landlord, and query the €200. If he doesn't know what you're on about, get in contact with the person, and tell her either she pays up, or you got the Gardai about it.

I agree with many of the opinions - she is shafting me.
    I have opened a dispute with the PRTB, and I will leave it up to them to investigate.
    The man in the estate agency has been nothing but unprofessional and uncooperative, so hence my non phonecall to him. Same story for landlord.
    I feel the formal approach is the only way to get to the bottom of this.

Advertisement