Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kingdom of Ormond

Options
  • 29-09-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me anything about the Kingdom of Ormond?
    I know it stands for East Munster and that Ormond castle was built by the Earls of Ormond but is there anything more detailed?

anywhere I could check? library perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Could anyone tell me anything about the Kingdom of Ormond?
    I know it stands for East Munster and that Ormond castle was built by the Earls of Ormond but is there anything more detailed?

If this is for homework a mod is going to put a check on this!

But before that might happen- Ormond was the region that the Butler family owned - now the area of Kilkenny. The Butlers were one of the most powerful Norman families in the years after the Anglo-Norman conquest and politically rivalled the Fitzgeralds in supposedly supporting the interests of the English monarch - but this was not quite the reality. For years they held the title of Lord Deputy but eventually lost out politically to the Fitzgeralds when they picked the wrong side in the Wars of the Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

MarchDub wrote: »
    If this is for homework a mod is going to put a check on this!

But before that might happen- Ormond was the region that the Butler family owned - now the area of Kilkenny. The Butlers were one of the most powerful Norman families in the years after the Anglo-Norman conquest and politically rivalled the Fitzgeralds in supposedly supporting the interests of the English monarch - but this was not quite the reality. For years they held the title of Lord Deputy but eventually lost out politically to the Fitzgeralds when they picked the wrong side in the Wars of the Roses.

I'm a 4th year design student, I wouldnt really call it homework.....
    I'm doing my major project on national identity, and i've decided to create a micronation as part of it, but im trying to encorporate Irish history/kingdoms/peerage into it.

There was a micronation created in the Limerick region in the 50's called "the Principality of Thomond" where the creator took up the old realm of Thomond and it's symbolism and encorporated them into a new micronation so things like if Ormond had an emblem or a coat of arms and so on..

I'm going to be doing something along the same lines with regards to Ormond......so if anyone could help me in a direction towards info it'd just help me is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Libraries are a good start all right. Any good history of Ireland book (there are several, I have no preferences) will set you in the right direction. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement