Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi driver protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Remember visiting Dublin 8 years ago and waiting 2 hours in the freezing cold for a regulated taxi (anyone else remember the bad olde days!)

The government killed the taxi plate as a tradable asset then deregulated the market, why turn back the clock.

I do not want to see the Taxi plate reinstated as a tradable asset with limited numbers.

Taxi driving is unskilled work that does not require excess regulation so let free market economics run the market as it is now. If you cannot make it pay exit the market - simple as that. The only standards should be regarding police checks, English speaking and geographic knowledge.

Competition is the cornerstone of the capitalist free system we subscribe to anyone wanting a change can emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I think car standards, clean criminal record are important too. I do agree though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

acontadino wrote: »
    come on, there is a lot of good ones as well. they do deserve some sort of protection. they just want to help their family for god sake.

Thats a load of tosh. I work in the civil engineering industry and jobs are in such a short demand but you dont see any one from IEI saying that they should limit the number of college places to engineers do you?

If they dont like what they do do something else. We dont owe them a living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Thing on the Taxi driver protest on Joe Duffy. They're not doing anything to get public opinion on their side anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

You lot are unbelievable. You are either sitting in work dossing on boards, or sitting at home dossing on boards. Charmed lives.

I am NOT out protesting with the taxi drivers today. Instead I have an appointment with the bank this afternoon to plead with them AGAIN to give me more time to try to sell my home before they take it. I cannot get a buyer. I have sold my taxi plate, but cannot sell the car, which is worthless. I cannot taxi in it, as it is overdue maintenance that I cannot afford. The money from the plate is gone on overdue bills.

I have been going into Social Welfare for weeks now, and they string me along and tell me every reason why I am entitled to nothing. Citizens Information also told me I am entitled to nothing. I have to go into the bank, and explain to them that my income is ZERO. NOTHING. I have no money to give them. Not even a dole payment. I hope they don't start proceedings to put me in jail. I was honest all my life, and worked hard.

At least in jail I would be guaranteed shelter and a meal. Perhaps that is where some of you would like to see me. After all, in the words of paulm17781 I am only a 'stain' on society.

There are plenty of taxi drivers on this protest who are not destitute. They are older, and don't have the mortgages and commitments of the younger guys. That does not take away from the desperate situation of some of the younger guys. I'm sure some of them are only in it for what they can get, but I don't care, because whether they win or lose their case, it's too late for me. Sure there's a few who would happily drag us back to the 1970s, but screw them, too. Unfortunately, many of them haven't a clue about good PR or fighting a just case. But then, they were paid up members of a union that should have been doing that for them, and instead, has let them down. I would have hoped that in andrewdeerpark's 'capitalist free system' there would be some threshold slightly above ZERO that nobody would be let fall. Maybe if I could afford to emigrate, then he wouldn't have the disgust of having to look at me.

I am sorely sorry I ever got into taxiing. I hung myself out the window with loans to do so. But I was strung along by this regulator with promises of high standards and an industry that was modernising itself. Instead she opened the floodgates to hundreds of people who quite obviously never had to pass any kind of knowledge or suitability test, and all the promises of standards in the industry were proved to be lies, like everything else that comes out of this government. I was sold a booger, and now I am paying dearly. I don't want a cap on anything, just some standards I could have aspired to, and some self respect. Instead it is a free-for-all, with no standards whatsoever. That's your 'free market' system in action.

There you are now, paulm17781, I didn't want to broadcast my personal business on a public forum, but I hope you are happy. You can carry on with your self satisfied insults now all you want. I won't trouble you further. I will withdraw my ID to protect what little self respect I have left.

• Advertisement

HydeRoad wrote: »
    You lot are unbelievable. You are either sitting in work dossing on boards, or sitting at home dossing on boards. Charmed lives.

I am NOT out protesting with the taxi drivers today. Instead I'm inside dossing on boards.....

Fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats a load of tosh. I work in the civil engineering industry and jobs are in such a short demand but you dont see any one from IEI saying that they should limit the number of college places to engineers do you?

Exactly the point I raised a few weeks back on a similar thread and strangely the taxi driver involved became unusually quite.

How about the accountants made redundant or accepting pay decreases yesterday ogranise a similar protest restricting the amount of jobs in their profession, same goes for brickies, sparks, chippies, plumbers and every other profession in the country ?

Why not, well the reason being is that the rest of us live in the real world and dare I say it, are generally better educated and therefore don't carry around a chip on our shoulder whispering into our ear that society owes us a living without us having to put any effort into it whatsoever.

The fool that was on Joe Duffy fits into the category above and I can only assume he's speaking for everyone else on the protest. In his crazy little mind he's just driving to the protest, the fact that's there's traffic congestion and ignorance from cars on the protest is just a wild coincidence. A smack of a garda batton might clarify things for him.

Hyderoad above also fits into the whole "we're owed a living" category too. While I feel sorry for the situation you're in you cannot expect anyone to dig you out. You chose to be a taxi driver with the idea of making easy money. Proper competition came along making it harder for you to do so but don't be so self centred, thousands of people are in the same situation and they either move on to another jon and retrain to try survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

HydeRoad, I genuinely feel for your situation I do. However I too can lose my job, my money can also dry up. What do I do? I went to university for 4 years, should I blame the government for my study being a waste of time if I do lose my job? We are all facing tough times, I outlined my situation in at least 2 other posts.

I referred to all of you who are striking as a stain on society. It's the kind of attitude that is wrong with this country. "F* everybody else, I want my bit." None of you care about the public or getting the support of the public. Just protest until you get what you want. I and, by the looks of this thread, no one else will support you as long as this is the attitude. As said before why are you entitled to a living?

There is no mention anywhere (other than here) of drivers wanting standards just a cap. Maybe that's because the media are against you, maybe it's because you've done nothing to get anyone on your side.

Also, I don't know why you're singling me out on this, I'm not the only who sees it this way. Even when I tried to give some friendly advice on the other thread, it got thrown back in my face. Why should I care if that's what I'm dealing with.

The guy on joe duffy was possibly the first taxi driver in ireland that's driven outside a buslane when he wasn't on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I am NOT out protesting with the taxi drivers today. Instead I have an appointment with the bank this afternoon to plead with them AGAIN to give me more time to try to sell my home before they take it. I cannot get a buyer. I have sold my taxi plate, but cannot sell the car, which is worthless. I cannot taxi in it, as it is overdue maintenance that I cannot afford. The money from the plate is gone on overdue bills.

I have been going into Social Welfare for weeks now, and they string me along and tell me every reason why I am entitled to nothing. Citizens Information also told me I am entitled to nothing. I have to go into the bank, and explain to them that my income is ZERO. NOTHING. I have no money to give them. Not even a dole payment. I hope they don't start proceedings to put me in jail. I was honest all my life, and worked hard.

At least in jail I would be guaranteed shelter and a meal. Perhaps that is where some of you would like to see me. After all, in the words of paulm17781 I am only a 'stain' on society.

There are plenty of taxi drivers on this protest who are not destitute. They are older, and don't have the mortgages and commitments of the younger guys. That does not take away from the desperate situation of some of the younger guys. I'm sure some of them are only in it for what they can get, but I don't care, because whether they win or lose their case, it's too late for me. Sure there's a few who would happily drag us back to the 1970s, but screw them, too. Unfortunately, many of them haven't a clue about good PR or fighting a just case. But then, they were paid up members of a union that should have been doing that for them, and instead, has let them down. I would have hoped that in andrewdeerpark's 'capitalist free system' there would be some threshold slightly above ZERO that nobody would be let fall. Maybe if I could afford to emigrate, then he wouldn't have the disgust of having to look at me.

I am sorely sorry I ever got into taxiing. I hung myself out the window with loans to do so. But I was strung along by this regulator with promises of high standards and an industry that was modernising itself. Instead she opened the floodgates to hundreds of people who quite obviously never had to pass any kind of knowledge or suitability test, and all the promises of standards in the industry were proved to be lies, like everything else that comes out of this government. I was sold a booger, and now I am paying dearly. I don't want a cap on anything, just some standards I could have aspired to, and some self respect.

There you are now, paulm17781, I didn't want to broadcast my personal business on a public forum, but I hope you are happy. You can carry on with your self satisfied insults now all you want. I won't trouble you further. I will withdraw my ID.

I really am sorry to hear that man, from somebody who just dodged the bullet with my job yesterday. But I know plenty of people who bought into the scheme at the start. And all of them quickly bought back out of it, took the hit and left the business. All drivers who are struggling should see this as what it is.

A unskilled job with minimum requirements and extremely low wages. Its the same all over the rest of the world and its the same here now
    Quint wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

Rot in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Quint wrote: »
    The guy on joe duffy was possibly the first taxi driver in ireland that's driven outside a buslane when he wasn't on duty.

Yeah, that was a laugh wasn't it ! As I said, that's the mentatlity you're dealing with. Another guy has just been on who's witnessed a bunch of scummers banging on a taxi driven by a black man calling him a scab and telling him to go home and stop taking their jobs. They really need to be arrested for doing this before things get really out of control.

The more taxi drivers you hear speak out about this the more obvious it is that it's nothing to do with standards, it's all about protectionism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Final post, I hung on just to see what reaction there'd be. I expected both sorts.

The difference between me and all you guys is, if you lose your job, you can sign on the dole straight away. I am having an awful time convincing them of my situation, and in the meantime I am living on thin air. I have no money whatsoever.

Taxi drivers, it seems, will never have respect. Some of them are their own worst enemy, and I hate being associated with them. Proper standards by a proper regulator might have seperated the genuine ones from the troublemakers.

But there are no standards. This regulator is as corrupt and deceitful as everything else in this rotten FF government. It's all lies and spin, from every side, the minister, the regulator, the drivers, the media.

Sorry paulm17781, didn't intend to single you out, you are far more articulate than some of the Neanderthal responses we get, and I know some taximen act like Neanderthals too. I'll just be glad to be away from it all, whatever happens. I support the protest for this reason, simply, that the regulators office stands for lies and deceit, and for anything but the kind of standards the industry is crying out for. Those that would have risen to the standards, will no longer be able to afford to remain in the industry, and it will be left to the cheapest element.

I'm off out now. Have to see this bank! Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Final post, I hung on just to see what reaction there'd be. I expected both sorts.

The difference between me and all you guys is, if you lose your job, you can sign on the dole straight away. I am having an awful time convincing them of my situation, and in the meantime I am living on thin air. I have no money whatsoever.

Taxi drivers, it seems, will never have respect. Some of them are their own worst enemy, and I hate being associated with them. Proper standards by a proper regulator might have seperated the genuine ones from the troublemakers.

But there are no standards. This regulator is as corrupt and deceitful as everything else in this rotten FF government. It's all lies and spin, from every side, the minister, the regulator, the drivers, the media.

Sorry paulm17781, didn't intend to single you out, you are far more articulate than some of the Neanderthal responses we get, and I know some taximen act like Neanderthals too. I'll just be glad to be away from it all, whatever happens. I support the protest for this reason, simply, that the regulators office stands for lies and deceit, and for anything but the kind of standards the industry is crying out for. Those that would have risen to the standards, will no longer be able to afford to remain in the industry, and it will be left to the cheapest element.

Is the reason you can't get the dole , not that your self employed & didn't pay into the PRSI system?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Good luck and sincerest best wishes for you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

All self-employed people do not get dole until 12 months have past and then its means tested.

HydeRoad I am genuinely sorry for you current situation however their is a lot of people in your boat, as said in other posts life does not owe anyone a living you have to get out their every day and fight for your survival.

However it does seem you have been unlucky in your Taxi career however this downward spiral had to be happening over a prolonged period, perhaps you should have looked at corrective action sooner. Best of luck with the bank.

My points on the bad olde taxi days stand and I have heard or seen nothing to change my mind on that, we all have to do our best to survive however I do not see how recreating a heavily regulated taxi industry will only help a few.

At the very least recreating a tradable taxi license plate that can be sold and transferred as an asset must not be allowed ever happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

At the very least recreating a tradable taxi license plate that can be sold and transferred as an asset must not be allowed ever happen again.
    Absolutely. I would actually be in favour of no cost for the taxi plate at all (save for admin costs) and the barrier to entry being an ability to actually pass a knowledge test for the city you wish to work in, provide a much better minimum spec car and paint your car in a specific colour. This will discourage 'chancers' from dipping their toe unless they are serious.

This protest is what it is though-the placards tell the true story-the taximen want a cap on plates and nothing else. Sorry, no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Karlmartini1

I'm a self employed computer engineer and business is terrible at the moment. Do you see me going on strike demanding a reduction in the number of computer engineers so I can make more money?

Being a taxi driver is simply another form of self employment and the rules of supply and demand should hold sway. The Irish government doesn't owe them a living (or anyone else for that matter). The taxi drivers blockaded Dublin airport years ago in protest at de-regulation. The public have never forgiven them for that. This was during a period that people had to walk 6 or more miles in the freezing rain on a Saturday night for want of a taxi. They made a mockery of our country with foriegn visitors and investors. Trevor Deegan went missing during a taxi strike and has never been seen since.

The mistake the government made was not limiting supply of licenses by insisting on higher standards of road knowledge etc.

I'd bet my left arm that the taxi men going on strike are mainly the origional 2000. The overweight foul-mouthed ones with BO, thick glasses and a yearning for the days unions held sway and kept the country poor. The ones who sit slightly off the rank at college green and when you ask for a taxi ride they want to know where you are going. Depending on where you say they may or may not be on a break.

The other issue is tax. How many drivers are honest in the tax they pay? The taxi meters should be inspected monthly and the drivers taxed accordingly. Their miliage should also be noted and referenced against the meters. It's an all-cash business for god sake. Who wouldn't take the piss.

Having said all that, the fee for becoming a taxi driver should be dropped to near zero and the test should be harder. The government should make that back with higher tax enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Trevor Deegan went missing during a taxi strike and has never been seen since.

It was actually Trevor Deely not Trevor Deegan.

I have watched this thread with interest as the son of a taxi driver who will not join in on the protests as he simply thinks they'll achieve nothing.

It's amazing to see how you're all quick to jump at the taxi drivers and tar them all with the same brush based on the various rabble rousers who are unfortunately seen as the public face of what is now a vastly overcrowded sector. I think you all need to forget about the bad old days of walking miles to get a taxi home (it's the past, there's not much you can do about it) and appreciate that EVERYONE has a right to protest. All the keyboard junkies hiding behind usernames just looking for an excuse to have a cut at taximen because of bad experiences in the past have to accept that.

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

The other issue is tax. How many drivers are honest in the tax they pay? The taxi meters should be inspected monthly and the drivers taxed accordingly. Their miliage should also be noted and referenced against the meters. It's an all-cash business for god sake. Who wouldn't take the piss.

That's where there is a need for REGULATION by the REGULATOR who simply isn't doing it's job at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'm a self employed computer engineer and business is terrible at the moment. Do you see me going on strike demanding a reduction in the number of computer engineers so I can make more money?

Being a taxi driver is simply another form of self employment and the rules of supply and demand should hold sway. The Irish government doesn't owe them a living (or anyone else for that matter). The taxi drivers blockaded Dublin airport years ago in protest at de-regulation. The public have never forgiven them for that. This was during a period that people had to walk 6 or more miles in the freezing rain on a Saturday night for want of a taxi. They made a mockery of our country with foriegn visitors and investors. Trevor Deegan went missing during a taxi strike and has never been seen since.

The mistake the government made was not limiting supply of licenses by insisting on higher standards of road knowledge etc.

I'd bet my left arm that the taxi men going on strike are mainly the origional 2000. The overweight foul-mouthed ones with BO, thick glasses and a yearning for the days unions held sway and kept the country poor. The ones who sit slightly off the rank at college green and when you ask for a taxi ride they want to know where you are going. Depending on where you say they may or may not be on a break.

Having said all that, the fee for becoming a taxi driver should be dropped to near zero and the test should be harder. The government should make that back with higher tax enforcement.

Well I sincerly hope that you're not left handed because you would have lost your arm, just for your information the protests have ( and still do ) drawn critism from the "union" leader Tommy ( all hail him ) Gorman who is the leader of the original Dublin Taxi drivers union, which for some reason that eludes me is called The National Taxi Drivers Union (NTDU), Now I know for a fact that a good percentage of the drivers on the protests so far are relative newcomers to the industry ( since dereg in 2000 ) and by far the majority are not union members ( Whoever heard of a union for self employed people!! )

Anyway to set a few points clear... The demand is for a cap on plates while the entire industry is reconstructed from the ground up, included in the rebuild would be looking at the removal of transferability of license plates, knowledge tests, vehicle standards, double jobbers, plate/taxi rental companies, minimum/maximum working hours, numeracy tests, English and/or Irish comprehension, allocation of the number of vehicles to suit the size of the town etc. Nothing has been ruled in or out of discussions but the 1st step is a cap on plates while it's sorted out....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Trevor Deely went missing during a taxi strike and has never been seen since.

I cant believe that you are blaming this tragic event on taxi drivers and as for your other comments about drivers weight and appearance, I guarantee you wouldnt have the guts to make any of these arguments to a drivers face. You just keep taking your cheap little shots from behind your keyboard. Your a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

Only 800 showed up. That's really poor. Out of the supposed 25000. Bad mandate for action. Seems like there is 24200 taxi people happy enough. Maybe the 800 protestors should leave the industry and market equilibrium will be quicker to adjust.

Michael O'Leary (the king of the free market) said it all today really: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0305/breaking55.htm

murphaph wrote: »
    Absolutely. I would actually be in favour of no cost for the taxi plate at all (save for admin costs) and the barrier to entry being an ability to actually pass a knowledge test for the city you wish to work in, provide a much better minimum spec car and paint your car in a specific colour. This will discourage 'chancers' from dipping their toe unless they are serious.

This protest is what it is though-the placards tell the true story-the taximen want a cap on plates and nothing else. Sorry, no deal.

Yeah can just see it now loads of placards all saying
    The demand is for a cap on plates while the entire industry is reconstructed from the ground up, included in the rebuild would be looking at the removal of transferability of license plates, knowledge tests, vehicle standards, double jobbers, plate/taxi rental companies, minimum/maximum working hours, numeracy tests, English and/or Irish comprehension, allocation of the number of vehicles to suit the size of the town etc. Nothing has been ruled in or out of discussions but the 1st step is a cap on plates while it's sorted out....

get a life will ya' just look at how big the flamin' banners would have to be......

imagevge.jpg

jack90210 wrote: »
    Only 800 showed up. That's really poor. Out of the supposed 25000. Bad mandate for action. Seems like there is 24200 taxi people happy enough. Maybe the 800 protestors should leave the industry and market equilibrium will be quicker to adjust.

Michael O'Leary (the king of the free market) said it all today really: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0305/breaking55.htm

Well he would wouldn't he, not being able to use his own personal taxi to get in and out of town today....

BTW He would probably be one of the 1st in line to have his plate removed, seeing as he isn't providing a PSV for hire by the public......

Press Association has it at 1200, RTE has it at 1500 not a large mandate no, but it's as large a mandate as some unions who claim to represent the taxi industry and getting bigger by the week.....

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Press Association has it at 1200, RTE has it at 1500 not a large mandate no, but it's as large a mandate as some unions who claim to represent the taxi industry and getting bigger by the week.....

Irish Times: 800
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0305/breaking7.htm

Even if it was 1500 still pretty poor. Back to the old argument why should some self employed people get a cap on competition while the rest dont?

Taxi drivers v Plasters for example??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Irish Times: 800
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0305/breaking7.htm

Even if it was 1500 still pretty poor. Back to the old argument why should some self employed people get a cap on competition while the rest dont?

Taxi drivers v Plasters for example??

Do you pay the Government €6500 to become a plasterer?? No you dont, its not the same, its totally different.

Read back over the mountains of taxi threads there have been,and this question has been asked in everyone and answered the same in everyone.

Yeh but you have a mountain of other start up costs also. Every business has start up costs. So taximen want to get rid of the 6500? The only barrier to entry they have remaining? Plasters also have to go through years of training to get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Karlmartini1

I suspect the taxi drivers demands for regulation only apply to limiting the number of plates. If there was a requirement for london type cabs only and a difficult 'knowlege' test to pass and various other types of restrictions they would be protesting that also. It's also worth noting how many times I have had to listen to taxi drivers complaining about all the black taxi drivers in Dublin. I once had a driver who who made a point of noting down the taxi plate number of every black taxi driver he saw. What he was going to do with this information, I don't know. I'm not saying all taxi drivers are racists but some are and some have no problem venting their racism to passengers.

People keep bringing up a comparison with New York. It should be noted that New York taxi medallions have been known to trade for up to $600,000. Many of these taxis are driven 24 hours a day in 3 shifts by drivers who will never have a hope of owning their own medallion.

Another complaint I have is being passed by a taxi with the light on on a saturday night, only to see the same taxi stop 50 yards past me to pickup a group of 4 simply because he will make more money carrying a group.

• Advertisement

Yeh but you have a mountain of other start up costs also. Every business has start up costs. So taximen want to get rid of the 6500? The only barrier to entry they have remaining? Plasters also have to go through years of training to get to that point.

Whoever said they want to get rid of the €6500, my money would be to remove the transferability of plates and put the price up to €20,000, also a good plasterer has to go through years of training, same as a good taxi driver....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement