Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone live in/know North Wall?

• 19-02-2003 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm thinking of buying a house off Seville Place (off Amiens St, opposite The Five Lamps), and wanted to know if anyone knew the area, what it's like at night, etc.

I can accept it's not going to be perfect, but I can cope with locals, just wonder whether it attracts crowds at the weekend, etc. It's a really good deal, so the only question is whether I would be comfortable living there.

Thanks in advance... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only been down there a few times, I've passed it on Amiens Street a lot. It used to have a bad reputation, due to the unemployment around Sherriff Street and Summerhill. This has changed a lot. I don't think the area is perfect yet, but I doubt it's the worst either.

Beware of train noise and trucks heading for the docks. Spencer dock and adjacent areas will see a lot of construction over the next few years (3,000+ apartments), which may reduce appreciation in your property, but the general 'gentrification' of the area and the growth of business will help increase prices.

Good access though to Port Tunnel, Connolly Station and buses. Luas will operate from the far end of Connolly. Local shoppin gnot great, but you are close to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jodus

Many thanks Vic, this is exactly my read of the place, I could have written this myself! But I don't think I did (fight club vibe coming on).

Regarding trucks and trains, we are far enough down from the railway bridge that we wouldn't hear it, and just off the main road, so trucks should be a minor inconvenience (til the port tunnel takes them away).

So, it's like I thought - not ALL good, but getting better, and probably a good investment (given that I should get it for about 20K less than it is worth NOW).

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good investment location I'd say. The area's certainly getting better. It's been a while since I was up in that neck of the woods but I went there apartment-looking for my brother and I was pretty surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

stay the fcuk away!

i was looking at one of the gafs down there myself, is it the one with or without heating?

i was in the one with heating, took me about 1 min to look at the property, rooms were half the size of a box room!

not only was the size laughable, the area is ****ty.

don't get me wrong, there are parts of north stand that are grand, but this is just opposite the lido takeaway, havan for pure scumbags.

was comming home on a 130 one night and one of the little fcukers threw a rock at the window!

I'd stay away if i was you, alot of those gafs are prone to flooding and dampness, and the price they were asking was ridiculus, there was one off leinster street, think it was stoney street, for a bit more, much better end of north strand, needs a bit of work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jodus

Originally posted by alienhead
    stay the fcuk away!

i was looking at one of the gafs down there myself, is it the one with or without heating?

i was in the one with heating, took me about 1 min to look at the property, rooms were half the size of a box room!

This isn't a place, you've seen, it's not on the market, nor are any houses on the nearby roads. So you must be thinking of another road.

We have talked to cops, estate agents, taxi men, etc, and they said it's much better, very livable. It's better than big swathes of Finglas, Cabra, etc. So given the money involved, I think it's worth the risk.

Anyway, thanks for the opinion. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

oops, i was thinking of Seville terrace, must be around the corner, but obviouslly its in the same area, across the road from the 5 lamps, there's 2 for sale there, tiny.

still not a great part of north strand, but if the price is right, maybe.

i'd advise seeing the area at night before you buy, go and buy a bag of chips in lido, check out the pub, strand house, just to get a feel for the area.

hope it works out for the best, have you tried anywhere else, do you know the northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by Victor

Just to comment on that post it was a perfect way to descripe the area, it also has improved a hell of a lot over the past few years and with the growth of the IFSC and East Point business park you will notice quite a good investment.

Regards

Advertisement