Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning Sat 26 PM to Sun 27 AM Jan 2019

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

The wind had died down here the past hour and it had got relatively calm but starting to pick up again now, lights have flickered a couple of times in past ten minutes, can hear it blowing a gale down the chimney, South Co Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Malin Head and Mace Head still gusting 107 km/hr on the 00.00 report, they have both been quite steady for nearly 4 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

OK was not expecting this, winds have really picked up again, this time with heavy hail as well.

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big hail showers here too near Tralee, winds easing back a bit.

10 min avg 34 km/h

DSd4WmT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Riverstick Co Cork - 92m ASL

Power intermittent since 23:05h.

Wind a bit stronger that anticipated tbh.

Power gone around 00:10h - generator running since 23:05h (when power was bouncing)- so glad we got one 10 years ago for house as power goes >14 time per year.. as a programmer working from home this can be a bit rough; but on the bright side the disconnect can be 'romantic' when the kids are at school :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of power outages tonight

ESB Networks

p8AsDx1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Tazio wrote: »
    Riverstick Co Cork - 92m ASL
    power goes >14 time per year.. as a programmer working from home this can be a bit rough; but on the bright side the disconnect can be 'romantic' when the kids are at school :)

Even so 14 times a year, thats too much romance for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just back home from an evening out in Swords. Plenty of wind-blown debris and modest sized branches down. Take care out there peeps....

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Even so 14 times a year, thats too much romance for me..

but but but but..... just think of the weather watching opportunities without outdoor light noise.... ;)

all jokes aside I'm done with candle lit family events and priming 'the genny'... I'd give anything for a stable power supply - and I live 5 miles from Cork Airport :pac:

anyhow the weather tonight has been 'real weather' - better than the non existent stuff over last few weeks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Given the reality of west coast weather the ESB do pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Had died down for a while but came back worse here in Letterkenny. Accompanied by hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Malin Head again staying steady at 108 km/hr on the 01.00 report, Mace Head has dropped down to 89 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sdanseo wrote: »
    MÉ went the way of keeping this a yellow warning with the comment "may exceed these values in exposed coastal locations". Playing it safe no doubt and probably with good intention given the negative press over "unnecessary" warnings.

That said, gusts already recorded well in excess of the last issued Orange warning.

The take away is that impact based warnings need to come online. Yesterday.

I noticed that too and came to the same conclusion as you have. Not safe. Many of us will simply read the speeds forecast and take appropriate action but not everyone will

Given the reality of west coast weather the ESB do pretty good.

They are awesome. They really are. Heroes!

All is well... something heavy hit the bedroom window hard around 7 pm as it was getting bad but I was not about to investigate.. made me jump though.. :eek:

No intention of emerging for anything last night... At my weight would have been low flying Graces,, :D

Noisy nasty night, and cold.

Was not surprised at the strength and understand why met.ie tried to play it down but not wise or safe as the posts here show.

Wind weary... but safe as we were expecting this over here.

Hope everyone is safe...

YAWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    I noticed that too and came to the same conclusion as you have. Not safe. Many of us will simply read the speeds forecast and take appropriate action but not everyone will

While the situation is different for you due to your exposed location, many don't need to make any real action.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    While the situation is different for you due to your exposed location, many don't need to make any real action.

reading the posts it took so many by surprise who may have stayed home had they known? And taken their bins in :eek:
    Which is the meaning of accurate forecasting maybe?

Like getting a snow shovel ready in case!and in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It was a bit the of wind .
    Don't see why there was an alert/warning.

That wind would only affect the direction of a snow flake 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Neighbours trampoline ended up in an adjacent field, would have kept going if it were not for a row of trees that stopped it. Our empty bins never budged, but they were sheltered from the northerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mikeecho wrote: »

That wind would only affect the direction of a snow flake ��

Or the 10,000 without power overnight!

• Advertisement

Highest gusts.

raf24_uk_jxv8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's a look at me. I'm controversial and edgy post. To be honest it just makes you look silly.
    Bless.
    Anyway. Very windy night. Roofing came off the chicken House. Off outside to repair damage.

Yeah sure. It has torn the roof off an old outhouse here which was what I heard last night. Bits of sharp corrugated iron thrown all over the place .

OldRio wrote: »
    It's a look at me. I'm controversial and edgy post. To be honest it just makes you look silly.
    Bless.
    Anyway. Very windy night. Roofing came off the chicken House. Off outside to repair damage.

Are the hens OK? Awww.

Been outside seeing what is no longer there ( if that makes sense!) .... Roofing shards everywhere, which is what hit the window with such a thud. Could take the head off you. shudders.

Bitter bitter cold. Please God the rough sleepers are safe

Strange sky. That old snow is coming colour.. YOU know.. odd stretched out clouds of palest grey and white.And the air smells like new cut hay! The wind has bruised it. I had forgotten that it does that

Fire lit; fell asleep a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭holliehobbie

Darwin wrote: »
    Neighbours trampoline ended up in an adjacent field, would have kept going if it were not for a row of trees that stopped it. Our empty bins never budged, but they were sheltered from the northerly wind.

Why do people not secure their trampolines? It's so dangerous with high winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭OldRio

Graces7 wrote: »
    Are the hens OK? Awww.

There fine. I've patched the roof but it's a trip to the creamery tomorrow for a 10 feet piece of sheeting. Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quite boisterous for a time here yesterday evening. Nothing remarkable regarding gusts speeds, but the mean speeds seemed very sustained, Something akin to a strong Spring sea breeze you would experience in Salthill.

New Moon

OldRio wrote: »
    There fine. I've patched the roof but it's a trip to the creamery tomorrow for a 10 feet piece of sheeting. Could be worse.

was one three day storm when I was up in the North Isles with gusts up to 124 MILES per hour. A neighbour's entire hen house took off. There were huge boulders on the fields near the sea.

Y'day reminded me of that..

• Advertisement
Advertisement