Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a grave in NY...

• 15-12-2018 1:49pm

...my grandmother died in 1937 in New York.

Have her date of death and the borough where it was recorded but not having any luck getting a location for her grave on those "find a grave" type sites.

Heading over in February and think it would mean a lot to my mum if I located a grave and laid flowers, tidy it up etc.

Any tips or suggestions? Presume the death certificate doesn't contain any information.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you tried looking for a newspaper death notice or obituary?

These two sources have helped me in the past...

NYS Historic Newspapers

Brooklyn Public Library

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Did you order her death cert? NY death certs name the cemetery of interment.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

You should be able to find a transcription of her death cert in this database and many of them for that time period have the cemetery info https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2240477

If it does not, I should be able to point you towards the right cemetery if you are willing to post borough and religious affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you tried looking for a newspaper death notice or obituary?

These two sources have helped me in the past...

NYS Historic Newspapers

Brooklyn Public Library

That was interesting.

Unfortunately, my ancestors who went to America in 1848 and had returned by Summer 1852, had a son in Albany NY December 1849. The source for this was a death registration in Illinois 1920, which gave his birth place and age in years & Days.

Looking at Albany, Renselaer and Schenectady and a few neighbouring counties, there seem to be very few newspapers at that time (1848-52), a few before it mostly later.

Was there some reason for limited newspapers at the time, such as penal taxation on newspaper publishers, or libel laws which made news a dangerous business?

Thanks for all the pointers so far. No joy with the various searches but will apply for a death certificate and see if that sheds more light on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always worth chancing an email to a volunteer on Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness

Advertisement