Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent a room scheme - Self-contained or not

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Firstly its not smart alac, the person is living under the same roof as the owner, and renting a room they are a licensee simple as that. I certainly would have no worries whatsoever of winning a case if it were ever brought (which it wouldn't be).

Someone with your fear of losing a case could just stick up a smart camera pointed at the door and you can have loads of evidence showing you entering and leaving the "self contained unit" thus proving maintained access and no exclusive use thus its no longer one word against another.

The person is not renting a room. The o/p is talking about a flat. It is self contained. You may have no fear of losing a case but you have no skin in the game. You have zero experience of RTB cases. You can be as confident as you like. The RTB make the decision, not you. You again think a case wouldn't be brought. You don't have a crystal ball. for €25 someone might well have a go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jbasqfb wrote: »
    Opinion noted, I happen to think differently on the self-contained unit bit, especially with my updated plan I uploaded. But as I said AirBNB looks more attractive to me ATM.

Anyway it could be subject to planning at this stage, and it's just one aspect of the development I plan. Not a crucial one at that

You may need to state that in your planning notices that it will be used for short term let’s aka Airbnb. The council have clamped down on this recently.

kceire wrote: »
    You may need to state that in your planning notices that it will be used for short term let’s aka Airbnb. The council have clamped down on this recently.

They haven’t even clamped down on full apartments being let never mind someone renting a room in their own home who would have a very valid argument that they are not breaking any planning laws. Where is the “lease or sale” when doing rent a room (allowing a guest to stay for a period of time) or Airbnb (allowing a guest to stay for a short period).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you're already trying to work around regulations, piling on further fiddling with planning exemptions is a Bad Idea.

You make claims as if you have actual experience of the outcomes when I see nothing to indicate you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

kceire wrote: »

They haven’t even clamped down on full apartments being let never mind someone renting a room in their own home who would have a very valid argument that they are not breaking any planning laws. Where is the “lease or sale” when doing rent a room (allowing a guest to stay for a period of time) or Airbnb (allowing a guest to stay for a short period).

You will be asked why you are seeking planning permission. If you state its for family needs and then rent out the area instead...you get the idea.

Its better to be upfront about things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement