Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallaght, what's the catch..

• 01-05-2018 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Specifically around the Springfield area. Seems cheap enough, 3 bed room houses with alright garden for around 210-220k.

Few mins away from a luas which takes right near IFSC etc

Seems good to me.. Questions I have though

1) what's liquidity like for selling? I'm single and work in an area changing with Brexit so might want to move to France/Germany etc wouldn't want to have to wait 6 months to sell.

2) obviously only speculation, but would you reckon any capital appreciation left in the area? Price seems to be lagging compared to anything else in Dublin region so would have more room to grow? Or is it undesirable?

3) which leads me to my question that typing Tallaght into news search doesn't reveal very positive things. Is it that bad in Springfield area?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Springfield is a kip... I'd avoid it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

There is a lot of Romani that live in Springfield if that's negativity that you are hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

It's Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

There is a lot of Romani that live in Springfield if that's negativity that you are hearing?

They class the place up ffs!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

khaldrogo wrote: »
    They class the place up ffs!!!!!

[EstateAgent]....international feel....[/EstateAgent]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's one of the better areas around those parts ( at least it was when I was familiar with the place 15-20 years ago). I still wouldn't want to live around there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Better to spend that 210-220k on hookers and blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Grew up near there and Springfield was the best of the surrounding areas (Jobstown Brookfield Killinarden). People always make these things out to be worse than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Grew up near there and Springfield was the best of the surrounding areas (Jobstown Brookfield Killinarden). People always make these things out to be worse than they are.

Highlighted the important part, you have the social skills and experience to allow you to deal with difficult people from the area. A lot of people do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Better to spend that 210-220k on hookers and blow.

Can you let us know which bank gives mortgages for hookers and blow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

This will end well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Springfield is kind of in-between. Nowhere near as dodgy as Jobstown or Fetercairn, but nowhere near as nice as Belgard, Kingswood or Old Bawn.

The closer you get to Belgard, the better it is and places like Ambervale are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

de ye like dags?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

Highlighted the important part, you have the social skills and experience to allow you to deal with difficult people from the area. A lot of people do not.

When you say social skills and experience what do you mean by that? Just no looking like a victim or knowing which people you can tell to p1ss off and which ones to skirt around?

Overall experiences in this thread do not seem to be overwhelmingly positive....

So I'll infer low capital appreciation from that, can't see much data on Tallaght specifically over the past 20 years on house prices to see trends against Dublin average so will take pessimist viewpoint.

My worry though would be in the event of a slowdown or crash that places like Springfield would lose value extremely fast and also sellability...

Finally; if I just go to the area do my business (I work long hours and go out after that) am I likely to be bothered in the area. Will I continually feel like I'm about to experience a home invasion, robbery or mugging? Or are they just scrotes that keep themselves to themselves?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP, you should try and go out and have a walk around the area yourself and see what you think. Others can certainly help gauge what type of area it is, but without spending a bit of time there yourself it's hard to be certain. If it really is an area you think you could buy in, spending a few hours here and there at different times just for a walk even would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Finally; if I just go to the area do my business (I work long hours and go out after that) am I likely to be bothered in the area. Will I continually feel like I'm about to experience a home invasion, robbery or mugging? Or are they just scrotes that keep themselves to themselves?

Bought there about a year ago, it's grand. No hassle really. The only thing I can think of was there were a few vultures circling the skip when we were doing renovations but it's not bad, 5 min walk to the Luas and less than an hour all the way into the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PierreLeCake

I always got the impression Springfield had a lot of rentals. Prior to the housing crisis there was always a number of houses to rent on Daft at any given time. Presumably its closeness to The Square, Tallaght Hospital and the LUAS made it attractive to investors. An estate full of rentals has a different vibe to one which houses mainly homeowners. They tend to be more invested in the area. The best advice is walk around the area at different times particularly at night and see how you feel. I would n't buy a house near an open green space because that's were kids and bored teenagers hang out. Always potential for anti-social behaviour in my opinion. However some one with Kids might like the idea of a green opposite their house so its a matter of personal preferences

Virginia heights way is ok, I have a relative over there and has had no issues..

Of the Killinarden community Killinarden estate is the most settled the likes of Killinarden heights,Donamore and Cushlawn you avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When you say social skills and experience what do you mean by that? Just no looking like a victim or knowing which people you can tell to p1ss off and which ones to skirt around?

Overall experiences in this thread do not seem to be overwhelmingly positive...

If trying to put it into words, that's a good description. But you can sum it up by saying that if you grew up in that type of area, you usually have no problems living in a that type of area. If you didn't though, its usually hell on earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Tallaght itself is fine, sure there's a bit of drama from time to time but it's only to be expected in an urban area of around 80,000. Regardless of the east/west divide, Springfield (sometimes known as [italic]Springer[/italic] is fine in my experience, and I've lived both in Old Bawn and Jobstown. The Luas really is a major plus, so it overrides any potential drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

if you don't know tallaght find a good agent, ive bought stock twice through www.broe.ie ,they have been selling / managing rentals in tallaght about 20 years,

i've read some storys about certain parts of tallaght, but its huge and the areas really do vary , you need to get in the know

• Registered Users Posts: 36,100 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I was born and bred in Springfield, and my parents still live there. The specific estate / street you're on can have a bearing on these things. In general though, the area should be fine if I read between the lines of your situation correctly. If you're single, mobile, and looking to invest in an affordable property with upside Tallaght should be fine. Looking at the overall property situation in the greater Dublin area, Tallaght will eventually experience appreciation and a change to some degree. Predicting the timescales are always difficult, but the area experienced same during the last property boom though it took longer then too.

If you want, you can PM me the exact address of houses you're looking at and I can fill you in. Like anywhere else, most people in Tallaght are normal working people. Most houses in the area will be owner occupied and looked after, etc. Springfield has a local butcher, place to buy your fruit and veg, etc and the Square is around the corner for larger purchases. It's very well served by public transport (bus connections good on top of LUAS) and has close proximity to the ring road / M50. The Primary and Secondary school local to Springfield are well run with decent amenities.

I wouldn't pretend that the area is perfect, far from it. But it's not the jungle of constant non stop crime it can be portrayed to be. You'll get estates that have a percentage of HSE and / or privately rented properties that cause issues. You'll also have groups of potentially troublesome teenagers around the area. Likelihood however is that you'll have neighbours working / owning their house around you and be left in peace. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Lived in Springfield for around 6 or 7 years and never noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Worst thing I saw was a few wheelie bins lit on fire.

To me the vibe of the area was always quite chilled and relaxed.

Handy spot for public transport and shopping.

Few Roma gypsies scattered around the estate but always seemed to keep to themselves.

Houses are privately rented or owned. May be a small percentage on the likes of H.A.P scheme.

Lots of nurses from the local hospital live there.

Apparently the primary school there is one of the best in Dublin.

Poor sound and heat insulation in the houses but otherwise are a decent size/layout.

Don't really understand all the hate and scaremongering going on in this thread. It's a nice place to live and it's certainly not Jobstown but neither is it Ballsbridge.

A lot more Roma gypsies in Springfield now but other nationalities are on the rise in that estate and i would say Springfield is the most multiculturalism estate in that area of Tallaght , and like you said it is a great spot for transport .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Take the Luas out to it tonight about 9:30pm or so.

Go for a walk around the place and get the Luas back.

If you are still happy with the area after your walk tonight, then do it tomorrow night, and so on until you are happy enough that you would like to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Tallaght is a huge area.

It depends where in Springfield....... The closer you get to the Square / hospital the better the area.I would avoid anything that borders Fettercairn, Brookfield and Jobstown as these places are dodgy....There is a reason why some houses are dearer than other.

If you can stretch your budget then go for Aylesbury, Old Bawn, Belgard Heights, Kingswood, Balrothery or Kilnamanagh.

Advertisement