Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Burgess Family from Harold's Cross

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all, I am doing research into my Cullen connections and wonder if anyone can help with this.
    Mary Teresa Cullen was born in the year 1865. She married Arthur Burgess on 17/12/1887.
    On the 1901 census it can be seen that his religion was Church of Ireland and he was born in London City. The address was house 18.1 in Windsor Terrace (Wood Quay, Dublin).
    It appears that they were running a boarding house. Besides the seven in the Burgess family there were also four boarders.
    There were also four visitors by the name of Byrne. A 60 year old widow with her son and two daughters. I have no idea who these visitors were. Could the term indicate they were related or short-term
    visitors to Dublin?
    Looking into 18.1 Windsor Terrace in 1911 we see that the house is occupied by four different families on four separate return forms. Sounds like it was divided into apartments.
    By now the Burgess family are living across the canal in 10.1 Union Place when this census was taken. Mary was 46 years of age on that census. The address was later changed to Grove Road.
    Arthur was by then a carter in a biscuit factory. I wonder was it in Jacobs!
    Careful examination of the return form reveals that they were 23 years married and their eldest son, Joseph was 21 years of age and he was born in Dublin City. The next two children, Frances and Arthur were born in England. Referring back to the previous census it states that they were born in Middlesex. The rest of the family were all born in Dublin. How about that for moving around! One of the amazing things about these official records is the way they can tell to story of a family.
    The 1939/40 Electoral List shows Joseph and Arthur F. Burgess registered to vote in Grove Road. I know that Joseph was born 1890. Don’t know if this is the father or the son Arthur. Also registered at the same address are Elizabeth’s son Thomas Condon and his wife Teresa (formerly Gordan). Thomas and wife were living with Elizabeth’s sister Mary Burgess. I have no way of telling if the Mary listed is the mother or daughter who was also named Mary (b: 1897)

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
    Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Dalcassian,

I'm not sure what area you're looking for advice on so I've just some general pointers.

It's possible that the Byrne family are related. I have 2 separate incidences of people being marked as "visitors" who I later proved were relatives (in one case, the head of house's father!) I think there may have been some confusion over the instruction to mark down people who did not normally live in the house but were present on the night as visitors. This was followed to the letter.

I presume since you have the exact date of the Cullen/Burgess marriage that you have their marriage cert, so that should have their fathers' names and occupations. You can then look for her father in Ireland, and presumably his in England...

Now English genealogy is going to help you here because they have all their censuses and they are online. In fact 1880 is free to search but the rest cost a small amount of money per view. www.findmypast.co.uk has them all. So have look in Middlesex for the family in the 1890 census - this may show you some UK relations.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

My Burgess tribe were from Dublin; this is what I have dug up so far:
    1. John Burgess, son of Unknown Burgess, was born about 1815 in Dublin, Ireland, died on 25 Mar 1879 in 19 Lower Wellington St. Dublin, Ireland aged about 64, and was buried in 1879 in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin, Ireland.

• Cause of Death: 3 months Chronic Bronchitis, son William present at death.
    • He worked as a Coach or Carriage Smith in 1851 in 5 Green Street, Dublin, Ireland.
    • Abode: 11 Stafford St. Dublin (now Wolfe Tone St), 1869.

John married Mary Anne Pike in 1835 in All Saints' Church, Grangegorman, Dublin, Ireland. Mary Anne was born about 1813 in Dublin?, Ireland and was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin, Ireland.

Children from this marriage were:

+ 2 F i. Eliza Burgess was born about 1837 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 3 M ii. William Burgess was born about 1839 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 4 F iii. Mary Ann Burgess was born about 1846 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 5 M iv. John Burgess was born about 1849 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 1917 in Wigan, Lancashire aged about 68.

+ 6 M v. Edward Burgess was born about 1851 in Dublin, Ireland.

Second Generation (Children)

2. Eliza Burgess (John 1) was born about 1837 in Dublin, Ireland.

• She resided at Before Marriage: 11 Stafford St. Dublin (now Wolfe Tone St).

Eliza married Henry Gillespie, son of Stuart Gillespie and Unknown, on 23 Aug 1869 in St Mary's Church, Dublin, Ireland. Henry was born about 1843 in Dublin?, Ireland.

• He worked as a Japanner.
    • He resided at Before marriage: 11 Summer Hill, Dublin.

7 F i. Mary Anne Gillespie was born about 1870 in Dublin, Ireland.

8 F ii. Susan Elizabeth Gillespie was born about 1872 in Dublin, Ireland.

9 F iii. Elizabeth Charlotte Gillespie was born about 1873 in Dublin, Ireland.

10 M iv. William Michael Gillespie was born about 1874 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 11 M v. Henry Stuart Gillespie was born about 1876 in Dublin, Ireland.

12 F vi. Florence Gillespie was born about 1877 in Dublin, Ireland.

13 M vii. Thomas Edward Gillespie was born about 1878 in Dublin, Ireland.

14 M viii. Charles Gillespie was born about 1880 in Dublin, Ireland.

3. William Burgess (John 1) was born about 1839 in Dublin, Ireland.

THE LATE WILLIAM BURGESS
    At a meeting of the Dublin Coach Painters Society, the following resolution was passed on the motion of Mr F Farrell, seconded by Mr A Coffey:-
    "That we tender our sincere sympathy to the widow, children and relatives of the late Mr William Burgess in the loss they have sustained by his death and as a mark of our esteem and in recognition of his lifelong devotion to the cause of Trade Unionism being 51 years a member of the UKS of Coachmakers and his many other sterling qualities, we do hereby adjourn and that a copy of this resolution be sent to his widow and the press.
    At a special committee meeting of the United Kingdom Society of Coachmakers, Dublin Branch, held in the Trades Hall, yesterday, Mr Miln((hole) in the chair, it was unanimously resolved that we tender to the wife and family of our sincere sympathy in the loss they have sustained by the death of one of our most respected members, William Burgess, who has been a member of our Society for the past 53 years." The meeting adjourned as a mark of respect

• He worked as a Coach maker on 22 Apr 1867 in 11 Stafford Street (now Wolfe Tone St) Dublin, Ireland.
    • Abode: 37, Phibsboro Road, Dublin, 14 Feb 1877.
    • Abode: 37, Phibsboro Road, Dublin, 25 Mar 1879.
    • He worked as a Coach painter in 1901 in 40 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

William married Catherine Doran, daughter of William Doran and Unknown, on 22 Apr 1867 in St Mary's Church, Dublin, Ireland. Catherine was born about 1843 in Swords, Dublin and died after 1911.

• She worked as a Dressmaker in 1901 in 40 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • Abode: Widowed, 1911, 15 Arranmore Avenue, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

15 M i. William John Burgess was born about 1870 in Dublin, Ireland.

16 M ii. John Burgess was born about 1871 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 17 M iii. Arthur Henry Burgess was born about 1873 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 18 F iv. Elizabeth Burgess was born about 1875 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 19 M v. Charles Edward Burgess was born on 14 Feb 1877 in Dublin, Ireland, died on 21 Dec 1923 in Dublin, Ireland aged 46, and was buried in Dec 1923 in Paid For By Mr. B.W.Burgess.

+ 20 F vi. Polly Burgess was born in Dublin, Ireland.

21 M vii. Edward John Burgess was born about 1879 in Dublin, Ireland and died about 1883 aged about 4.

+ 22 M viii. Thomas Burgess was born about 1880 in Dublin, Ireland.

23 M ix. Bernard Burgess was born about 1885 in Dublin, Ireland. He never married and had no children.

• He worked as a Book binder in 1901 in 40 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Book finisher, living with widowed mother in 1911 in 15 Arranmore Avenue, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

4. Mary Ann Burgess (John 1) was born about 1846 in Dublin, Ireland.

• She resided at Before marriage: 11 Stafford St, Dublin (now Wolfe Tone St).

Mary Ann married William Mason, son of William Mason and Margaret, on 1 Nov 1869 in St Mary's Church, Dublin, Ireland. William was born about 1843 in Dublin?, Ireland.

• He worked as a Bootmaker.
    • He resided at Before marriage: 5, Trinity Place Dublin.

24 F i. Catharine Louisa Mason was born about 1870 in Dublin, Ireland.

25 F ii. Mary Anne Mason was born about 1871 in Dublin, Ireland.

26 F iii. Margaret Elizabeth Mason was born about 1873 in Dublin, Ireland.

27 F iv. Elizabeth Frances Mason was born about 1874 in Dublin, Ireland.

28 F v. Evelyn Florence Edith Mason was born about 1876 in Dublin, Ireland.

29 M vi. William John Mason was born about 1877 in Dublin, Ireland.

5. John Burgess (John 1) was born about 1849 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 1917 in Wigan, Lancashire aged about 68.

• Abode: Abt 1870, 11 Stafford Street (Now Wolfe Tone St), Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Coach builder's trimmer in 1891 in 68 Albert St. Pemberton, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Coach trimmer in 1898 in 17 St Thomas Street, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Coach trimmer in 1901 in 82 Park Road West, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Coach trimmer - coach orders in 1911 in 6 Kimberley Street, Wigan, Lancashire.

John married Elizabeth Jolley, daughter of Henry Jolley and Alice Foster, on 24 Jul 1873 in Manchester District, Lancashire. Elizabeth was born on 28 May 1851 in Hindley, Lancashire, was christened on 15 Jun 1851 in Hindley, Lancashire, and died on 17 Sep 1896 in Wigan, Lancashire aged 45.

• She worked as a Domestic Servant in 1871.
    • Abode: Living next door to father Henry Jolley, 1891, 68 Albert Street, Pemberton, Wigan, Lancashire.

+ 30 M i. Henry Jolley Burgess was born on 12 May 1874 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 1 Apr 1944 aged 69.

+ 31 F ii. Alice Jane Burgess was born on 12 Jan 1876 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

+ 32 M iii. William Burgess was born on 12 Jan 1878 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

+ 33 M iv. John Burgess was born on 30 Jul 1879 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

34 F v. Elizabeth Burgess was born on 2 Jul 1882 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

• She emigrated from Australia.
    • She had health problems and was She returned home to England, mentally ill with her husband.

Elizabeth married Harry Atherton.

35 M vi. Edward Thomas Burgess was born in 1885 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 26 Feb 1905 aged 20.

• Cause of Death: Dropped dead whilst heading a football.
    • He worked as an Apprentice bricklayer, living with father and stepmother in 1901 in 82 Park Road West, Wigan, Lancashire.

+ 36 M vii. Giordino Bruno Burgess was born on 10 Apr 1889 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 5 Feb 1960 in Masterton, New Zealand aged 70.

+ 37 M viii. Charles Bradlaugh Burgess was born in 1891 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 18 Feb 1966 in Wigan, Lancashire aged 75.

38 F ix. Nora Burgess was born in 1893 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died in 1914 in Wigan, Lancashire aged 21.

• Abode: Living with parents, 1911, 6 Kimberley Street, Wigan, Lancashire.

John next married Martha Jolley, daughter of John Jolley and Elizabeth Hampton, on 24 Aug 1898 in Wigan Registry Office. Martha was born on 18 Mar 1849 in Hindley, Lancashire and died in Wigan, Lancashire.

6. Edward Burgess (John 1) was born about 1851 in Dublin, Ireland.

• Abode: At birth, 1856, 11 Stafford Street (Now Wolfe Tone St), Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Coach builder in 1876 in 10, Catherine St. Belfast, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Coach builder, lodging in 1881 in 109 Abercrombie Street, Glasgow Chalmers, Scotland.
    • He worked as a Coach maker, living with in-laws in 1891 in 14 Bedale Street, Hulme, Manchester, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Coach body maker in 1901 in 12 Bedale Street, Hulme, Manchester, Lancashire.

Edward married Ellen Quigley, daughter of Alexander Quigley and Ellen, on 21 Aug 1876 in St Malachy, Belfast, Ireland. Ellen was born about 1856 in Belfast, Ireland.

• She worked as a Weaver in 1891 in 14 Bedale Street, Hulme, Manchester, Lancashire.

+ 39 M i. John Joseph Pike Burgess was born about 1877 in Belfast, Ireland.

40 F ii. Ellen Burgess was born about 1879 in Belfast, Ireland.

41 F iii. Elizabeth (Lily) Burgess was born in 1885 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

• Abode: Staying with uncle & aunt Thomas and Mary Knowles, 1891, 7 Thompson Street, Pemberton, Lancashire.

Elizabeth (Lily) married Joseph Matthews.

Elizabeth (Lily) next married William Carr.

42 M iv. Edward Alexander Burgess died in aged About 2.

43 F v. Mary Burgess was born about 1888 in Helensburgh, Scotland.

44 F vi. Ethel Burgess was born in 1891 in Manchester, Lancashire.

+ 45 M vii. William Winston Burgess was born in 1894 in Manchester, Lancashire.

46 F viii. Florence Burgess was born about 1898 in Manchester, Lancashire and died in aged About 20.

Third Generation (Grandchildren)

11. Henry Stuart Gillespie (Eliza Burgess 2, John 1) was born about 1876 in Dublin, Ireland.

• He worked as a Brass finisher in 1911 in 34 St Benedict's Gardens, Inn's Quay, Dublin, Ireland.

Henry Stuart married Jane Charlotte Inglis. Jane Charlotte was born about 1878 in Dublin, Ireland.

The child from this marriage was:

47 M i. Thomas Stuart Gillespie was born about 1905 in Dublin, Ireland.

17. Arthur Henry Burgess (William 2, John 1) was born about 1873 in Dublin, Ireland.

• He worked as an Engine fitter in 1901 in 3 in Crampton Buildings, Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as an Engine fitter in 1911 in 149 Rialto Cottages, Usher's Quay, Dublin.

Arthur Henry married Mary Ann. Mary Ann was born about 1872 in Dublin, Ireland.

48 M i. William Burgess was born about 1898 in Dublin, Ireland.

49 M ii. Arthur Burgess was born about 1900 in Dublin, Ireland.

50 F iii. Sarah Burgess was born about 1902 in Dublin, Ireland.

51 M iv. Robert Burgess was born about 1904 in Dublin, Ireland.

52 F v. Mabel Burgess was born about 1910 in Dublin, Ireland.

18. Elizabeth Burgess (William 2, John 1) was born about 1875 in Dublin, Ireland.

Elizabeth married Unknown Hall.

53 F i. Katherine Hall.

54 F ii. Ida Hall.

19. Charles Edward Burgess (William 2, John 1) was born on 14 Feb 1877 in Dublin, Ireland, died on 21 Dec 1923 in Dublin, Ireland aged 46, and was buried in Dec 1923 in Paid For By Mr. B.W.Burgess.

• He worked as a Coachmaker in 1901 in 40 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Coach maker in 1911 in 21 Great Western Villas, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • Abode: At time of death, 1923, 20 Great Western Villas, Dublin, Ireland.

Charles Edward married Mary Ann (Marianne) Murphy, daughter of Edward Murphy and Ellen Williamson, on 17 Apr 1906 in Dublin, Ireland. Mary Ann (Marianne) was born on 25 Jul 1877 in Dublin, Ireland, died on 19 Dec 1973 in Dublin, Ireland aged 96, and was buried in Dec 1973 in Enniskerry, Ireland.

• She worked as a Robe maker in 1901 in 22 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

+ 55 M i. William Burgess was born on 11 Feb 1907 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 1949 in Dublin, Ireland aged 42.

+ 56 F ii. Helen Burgess was born on 11 Feb 1909 in Dublin, Ireland and died on 25 Apr 1999 in Dublin, Ireland aged 90.

+ 57 F iii. Katherine Burgess was born on 23 Mar 1911 in Dublin, Ireland and died on 28 Dec 1996 in Dublin, Ireland aged 85.

58 M iv. Edward Burgess was born on 11 Feb 1913 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 1993 in Preston, Lancashire aged 80.

59 F v. Alice Burgess was born on 26 Feb 1915 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 2006 in Cambridgeshire aged 91.

Alice married Stewart White Hillhouse. Stewart White was born on 14 Dec 1918 in Moyvore, Westmeath, Ireland.

+ 60 F vi. Olive Burgess was born about 1917 in Dublin, Ireland and died in Oct 2007 aged about 90.

20. Polly Burgess (William 2, John 1) was born in Dublin, Ireland.

Polly married William Bannister.

61 M i. William Bannister.

62 F ii. Alice Bannister.

63 F iii. Katherine Bannister.

64 M iv. George Bannister.

22. Thomas Burgess (William 2, John 1) was born about 1880 in Dublin, Ireland.

• He worked as a Brass finisher in 1901 in 40 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Brass finisher, living with widowed mother in 1911 in 15 Arranmore Avenue, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

Thomas married Emma.

65 M i. William Burgess.

30. Henry Jolley Burgess (John 2, John 1) was born on 12 May 1874 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 1 Apr 1944 aged 69.

• He worked as a Butcher's apprentice, living with parents in 1891 in 68 Albert St. Pemberton, Wigan.
    • He worked as a Journeyman butcher in 1901 in 4 Cudworth St, Poolstock, Wigan, Lancs.
    • He worked as a Butcher's porkman in 1911 in 13 St Patricks Street, Wigan, Lancashire.

Henry Jolley married Catherine Clarke between Jan and Mar 1900 in Wigan District, Lancashire. Catherine was born about 1877 in Meath, Ireland.

66 F i. Elizabeth Burgess was born about 1901 in Wigan, Lancashire.

67 F ii. Nora Burgess was born about 1906 in Wigan, Lancashire.

68 M iii. Jeredone Bruno Burgess was born about 1908 in Wigan, Lancashire.

• He worked as a Butcher in McAvoys Butchers, Wigan.

Jeredone Bruno married Ann.

31. Alice Jane Burgess (John 2, John 1) was born on 12 Jan 1876 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

Alice Jane married Arthur Alexander Murphy, son of Edward Murphy and Ellen Williamson, on 27 Aug 1907 in St Andrews Church, Wigan, Lancashire. Arthur Alexander was born on 8 Dec 1875 in Dublin, Ireland and died on 14 Aug 1959 in Dublin, Ireland aged 83.

• He worked as a Clerk in 1901 in 22 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
    • He worked as a Railway Clerk in 1911 in 8 Great Western Square, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.

+ 69 F i. Helen Murphy was born on 25 Jul 1908 in Dublin, Ireland and died on 25 Dec 1991 in London, Middlesex aged 83.

+ 70 M ii. John Edward Murphy was born on 19 Dec 1909 in Dublin, Ireland.

+ 71 F iii. Nora Murphy was born on 18 Mar 1911 in Dublin, Ireland and died in 2000 in Waterford, Ireland aged 89.

72 M iv. Arthur Murphy was born on 17 Mar 1913 in Dublin, Ireland.

Arthur married Sadie Frazer.

+ 73 M v. Sidney Murphy was born on 22 Aug 1917 in Dublin, Ireland and died in Aug 1990 in Dublin, Ireland aged 73.

• He worked as a Labourer in cotton mill, living with parents in 1891 in 68 Albert St. Pemberton, Wigan.
    • He worked as a Brick Setter, living with father and stepmother in 1901 in 82 Park Road West, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Bricklayer on 22 May 1901 in 9 Victoria Avenue, Park Road, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Bricklayer in 1911 in 8 Edmundson Street, Church, Lancashire.

William married Mary Annie Blakey, daughter of George Lawson Blakey and Sarah Jane Billany, on 22 May 1901 in Parish Church, Church, Lancashire. Mary Annie was born about 1869 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.

• Witnesses: Alice Jane Burgess & Joshua Gardner, 22 May 1901, Church, Lancashire.

• Abode: Scholar, living with mother and stepfather Elisha Hargreaves, commercial traveller, 1881, 133 Richmond Hill, Accrington, Lancashire.
    • Abode: 22 May 1901, Dill Hall Lane, Church, Accrington, Lancashire.

74 F i. Ethel Burgess was born about 1902 in Middlesbrough, Yorkshire.

75 M ii. William Burgess was born about 1903 in Blackburn, Lancashire? and died about 1976 aged about 73.

Bill met his wife Mary on board ship whilst they were both emigrating to Australia.
    [DebraBlack]

• He worked as a Storeman for Dulux for 20 years after the war.
    • He emigrated to Australia in 1926.
    • He worked as a Textile worker on 22 Jun 1931 in 118 Beaconsfield, South Parade, Melbourne, Australia.

[ Caption: Mary Burgess ne McGregor ]
    William married Mary McEwan McGregor, daughter of Gregor McGregor and Esther Margaret Robertson, on 22 Jun 1932 in South Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia. Mary McEwan was born on 5 May 1904 and died about 1988 in Melbourne, Australia aged about 84. They had no children.

• She worked as a Tailoress on 7 Jun 1932 in 30 Elizabeth Street, Elsternwick(?), Melbourne, Australia.

76 F iii. Nora Blakey Burgess was born about 1905 in Wigan, Lancashire.

William next married Unknown.

33. John Burgess (John 2, John 1) was born on 30 Jul 1879 in Pemberton, Lancashire.

• He worked as a Hackney Coach Trimmer (Leatherwork) living with father and stepmother in 1901 in 82 Park Road West, Wigan, Lancashire.
    • He worked as a Coach trimmer in 1911 in 6 Pennyhurst Street, Wigan, Lancashire.

John married Eliza Swift between Jul and Sep 1905 in Wigan District, Lancashire.

+ 77 M i. John Burgess was born about 1905 in Wigan, Lancashire.

78 F ii. Nora Burgess was born about 1908 in Wigan, Lancashire.

Nora married Thomas Clinton.

+ 79 F iii. Violet Burgess was born about 1910 in Wigan, Lancashire.

36. Giordino Bruno Burgess (John 2, John 1) was born on 10 Apr 1889 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 5 Feb 1960 in Masterton, New Zealand aged 70.

• AKA: Known as Gerodono or Jock, New Zealand.
    • He worked as a Coach Trimmer (Leatherwork).

Giordino Bruno married Jessie Agnes Cose in 1913 in New Zealand. Jessie Agnes died in 1955 in Masterton, New Zealand.

+ 80 M i. Eric Charles Burgess was born on 7 May 1914 in Masterton, New Zealand.

37. Charles Bradlaugh Burgess (John 2, John 1) was born in 1891 in Pemberton, Lancashire and died on 18 Feb 1966 in Wigan, Lancashire aged 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Wow! That's some Burgess Tribe! I have gone through it all and unfortunately can find no connection to my small clan.
    My Burgess connection was that Mary Teresa Cullen who was born in the year 1865 in Dublin married Arthur Burgess on 17/12/1887.
    On the 1901 census it can be seen that his religion was Church of Ireland and he was born in London City.

He was born in 1862 in Kensington, parents Robert Burgess and Emily Winn.
    He served in the Royal Horse Artillery with his brother-in-law.

That looks like some great piece of software you have your family history entered into. I would love to know what it is. :)
    Thank you for your reply.
    Cheers
    Joe.

Software is called legacy http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ the major updates are only a few pounds. Can generate a website to be uploaded. Our family tree got uploaded last night to http://www.snookyhouse.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gessemma

Hi Spookwoman-
    I just joined this site in order to be able to respond to this family tree thread, but i'm a total blog virgin so I hope i'm doing this right and you get to see this.
    I am learning astrology, and was in the process of googling my deceased father in the hope of getting dates to help with th rectification process of using life info to make an approximate guess at time of birth, and to my complete and utter surprise I ended up clicking on this thread which I scanned quickly, not expecting to be connected to this Burgess Family Tree, but looking further into it on you web page, i even found a very basic reference to myself!
    I particularly wanted to mention that the reason at first sight I discounted it is it has my Grandfather's death down as the wrong year- I wasn't 100% clear on sibling names, yet they sounded familiar- as he died traumatically young and that bit of the family was the great taboo to ask about.
    It's been really nice to look at this giant network of names- what an immense amount of work, fair play to you, so now i have a much clearer idea of the roots of that side of the family, so thankyou, it's awesome.

I would be happy to give you more specific info, his correct death date, and births and deaths for us following if you're at all interested, even though it's a fairly diastant branch?

If you are interested, just let me know how i might pass on this info in a less public visible to all way, and we are in business,

Thanks again for producing such an intricate family map, i've really enjoyed looking at it...

• Advertisement

My Burgess tribe were originally artisans from Dublin, Ireland where they worked making railway carriages; lacquerers, smiths, leatherworkers, etc., most went over to Wigan and surrounds during the late 19th century. If this fits the profile of your Burgesses…..

it wasn't so much a case of matching profiles, as I'm sorry to admit I know little about about them, and next to nothing father back than my grandfather who died when dad was a baby and was little talked about. I hve never really looked into the genealogy thing. I just found that the deatails matched my grandfather's birth cert, listed were all his siblings names I recalled from the hazy past, and then following that strand further on your site, found my dad's name, and beneath that my name and my two siblings names, though no mention of my mum. I think all of the names and most dates being right over four generations is enough for me to believe this the right lineage, only the fact that my grandfather's year of birth is wrong by two years had me doubt, but once i'd seen my own name with my brother and sister's name, amongst the rest I decided that must just have been a mistake.
    I would be happy to send you the names and dates specifically, but not so much in a publically viewable way, touch paranoid. perhaps there is a way to privately meassage through this site- I am a little bit embarassed at how clueless I am in this respect. I guess that's all I can tell you.

sorry, super brain dead tired, i meant to say abpve that it's my grandfather's year of death not birth that's out by two years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Demaris

Hello, are you by any chance the creator of the Burgess Brears family tree at 'snookyhouse?' If so I am a direct descendent of the Mollett family who are listed there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catcap

I was amazed to find my Granny in your tree. She was Maude Ellis born in Knottingley. Interestingly you mention your family originally went from Ireland to Wigan. I went the other way from Wigan to Ireland!Let me know if you'd like further information or photos of the Ellis family and their descendants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Astacey88

Hi I have also ended up on this thread due to the Burgess Brears family connection. I am hoping to get in contact and understand how my side of the family works in with everything.

Thanks

Kind regards

Adrian Stacey

Advertisement