Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bags on the seats of trains at rush hour, rudeness?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its been taken to a whole new level on airplanes with airlines like ryanair and no assigned seats.....people sitting in the aisle seat desperately not trying to make eye contact with other people looking for a seat!! or purposely spending ages sorting out their stuff for the overhead hold while they hope everyone else passes down by them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Surely this can be placed in the overhead storage on any coach or train?

It really annoys me to see people, mostly women, walking past empty luggage racks on trains and dragging massive wheeled suitcases down the aisles bumping them off every other passengers elbow only to realise they are unable to lift the monster cases up onto the parcel shelf. So they just leave them sitting in the aisle.

Those parcel shelves are just for small parcels briefcases etc not for a set of wheeled suitcases.

Or the inconsiderate numpties again mostly women who drag massive cases onto coaches knowing they will take up a seat as there is no luggage space inside coaches.
    Nope. I take the Dart, off peak, where there are plenty of seats. No overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

angel01 wrote: »
    I regularly sit on the seat of my bus and leave my bag on the seat next to me, jeepers it is hardly a massive issue.. if someone badly wants to sit next to me, they can ask me to move it and I will :)

but you're obliging the other person to do something rather than making it easy for them, that to me is inconsiderate and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It's a good thing we don't live in India, imagine trying to get a seat on this train-

819317968490ddeb65860d137911742.jpg

Seriously though, if somebody leaves their stuff on a seat and makes a fuss about moving it I just tell them what I think of them.. I remember one woman who had a cat in a box and refused to move it off the seat beside her, I told her if she didn't put it on her lap I would flatten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

^^^^ psst, just fyi, that's not India.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    ^^^^ psst, just fyi, that's not India.

Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I hope there's no tunnels or bridges en route !!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nope. I take the Dart, off peak, where there are plenty of seats. No overhead.
    Most people put their laptops inti a protective case which can easily be kept on your lap or down between your feet, a lot safer than having someone like me sitting my arse on top of it.

I've always had a clear set of rules for when I'm on the dart. Just stuff that seems common sense, like letting people get off before anyone get's on.

1. Sit down on the inner seat. This is usually facing the direction you're going.
    2. When there's more than one person per set of seats, start filling them diagonally, so that both of you have leg room.
    3. If it fills up more, the diagonal outside person should move in.
    4. Outside seats begin to fill up.
    5. Even though I'm a girl (and have bunions!), if I'm standing, I wont sit down until there's no more women standing. I usually prefer standing to the social dilemmas involved in getting a seat.

I'll always put my bag down on the seat beside me, but as soon as the dart's full enough that someone's sitting diagonally from me, I move it. However, for years I was puzzled as to why certain people felt the need to sit on the seat my bag was on, when there was two seats in front of me totally free. Turns out people over 50 generally feel they have to (???) sit in the direction they're going. To be honest I think that's going a bit far, especially when they don't have the manners to say excuse me to give me a chance to move it. I just wish they'd warn me, I'd be happy to put it on my lap if I knew someone wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, wherever.

Could be the average evening commuter train to Drogheda by the amount using it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

but you're obliging the other person to do something rather than making it easy for them, that to me is inconsiderate and rude.

It's not really. You're sharing mass transport with lots of other people. Chances are someone is going to inconvenience you and you'll have to open your mouth at some point.

Is it inconsiderate or rude when you are obliged to ask someone to sell you a ticket because the machine is broken or doesn't exist.

Seriously though, if somebody leaves their stuff on a seat and makes a fuss about moving it I just tell them what I think of them..
    Some day you might regret being hostile. Politeness goes a long way.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Some day you might regret being hostile. Politeness goes a long way.

I said if somebody makes a fuss about moving their bags I tell them what I think of them. I don't respond to ignorance with politeness.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Most people put their laptops inti a protective case which can easily be kept on your lap or down between your feet, a lot safer than having someone like me sitting my arse on top of it.
    Why would you sit on it? Break it and pay for it. We are all grown ups, tax paying commuters, adults. Take a deep breath and just ask if anyone owns the items. curtesy goes both ways. Why is it I feel I'm the only adult posting here! Mad! lol

I've always had a clear set of rules for when I'm on the dart. Just stuff that seems common sense, like letting people get off before anyone get's on.

1. Sit down on the inner seat. This is usually facing the direction you're going.
    2. When there's more than one person per set of seats, start filling them diagonally, so that both of you have leg room.
    3. If it fills up more, the diagonal outside person should move in.
    4. Outside seats begin to fill up.
    5. Even though I'm a girl (and have bunions!), if I'm standing, I wont sit down until there's no more women standing. I usually prefer standing to the social dilemmas involved in getting a seat.

I'll always put my bag down on the seat beside me, but as soon as the dart's full enough that someone's sitting diagonally from me, I move it. However, for years I was puzzled as to why certain people felt the need to sit on the seat my bag was on, when there was two seats in front of me totally free. Turns out people over 50 generally feel they have to (???) sit in the direction they're going. To be honest I think that's going a bit far, especially when they don't have the manners to say excuse me to give me a chance to move it. I just wish they'd warn me, I'd be happy to put it on my lap if I knew someone wanted it.
    Totally agree with this. Especially with filling up the seating blocks. Most people like to have them alone, esp at night. I often get the last or second last DART most nights. Tonight I had a lot of shopping, gym bag and work bag, no issues as the DART was empty. I wouldn't choose to travel like this during peak or on a bus for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I said if somebody makes a fuss about moving their bags I tell them what I think of them. I don't respond to ignorance with politeness.

Bet you dont...i bet you mumble something inaudable under your breath and sit down cursing inside your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Personally, I love this business.
    The 40 minute commute to Heuston station is made far more entertaining by watching these dynamics between fellow passengers...I spend many a morning cackling behind my metro as people collectively look offended :P

My favorite experience actually involved me. I sat on the inside seat and as it happens this woman sat down beside me, unpacked her life all over the table and took off her shoes.
    When my stop came along and I did the universal silent *this is my stop* symbols like packing my phone away and shuffling around a bit she ignored me and rolled her eyes. Eventually with the aid of the english language we established I indeed needed releasing from her captivity. She got really pissed off and took her time getting up.
    By the time she had got herself together I just managed to get off before the doors closed.

I was so close to telling the bitch she had icecream in her mustache

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

This issue is very relevant to me, especially on the Enterprise - I have in the past chose to take the aisle seat when window seat is empty, and in my mind my excuse is that I am getting off at the first stop..! But I have changed since and now I either look for aisle with window seat already occupied, or take the window seat and prepare to go thru the motions of waking up people from their deep sleep to get out at Drogheda.

While we are on the topic of politeness and consideration, can I also add people who put their feet up on the seat totally disgusts me. While the Dart seats are already dirty, the some commuter services, and Enterprise in general have reasonably clean seats, and I can not stand those who insists on putting their feet up on them, with or without shoes.

Personally, I love this business.
    The 40 minute commute to Heuston station is made far more entertaining by watching these dynamics between fellow passengers...I spend many a morning cackling behind my metro as people collectively look offended :P

My favorite experience actually involved me. I sat on the inside seat and as it happens this woman sat down beside me, unpacked her life all over the table and took off her shoes.
    When my stop came along and I did the universal silent *this is my stop* symbols like packing my phone away and shuffling around a bit she ignored me and rolled her eyes. Eventually with the aid of the english language we established I indeed needed releasing from her captivity. She got really pissed off and took her time getting up.
    By the time she had got herself together I just managed to get off before the doors closed.

I was so close to telling the bitch she had icecream in her mustache
    Sounds to me like you're the loser in that story!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the people complaining on this thread about anyone putting belongings on an empty seat are the type of people who are too shy to ask someone if they can have the seat and instead stand in angry silence! It would be the very rare and rude person that would refuse you and if so, then demand the seat. Give as good as you get!

I've asked countless times to sit where someone has their belongings and likewise have been asked myself. No issues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I don't have issues with this. If someone has their bag on the seat next to them I'll either ask them to move it or I'll find an empty seat. I might be sympathetic to them though. I don't like being trapped in the seat by the window by a stranger because I am only ever on the train for half an hour max, but the people who sit next to me are usually going to be on it for longer. It makes sense to me to sit on the outside and just allow someone past me to the inside seat if there are none others free. That gets rid of the fuss when I have to get off the train. It means I don't have to do the whole 'erm, can you move please?'. For the same reason if there are empty seats around me available for people to use, I might put my own bag on the outside seat to prevent anyone sitting next to me, just because it would be more fuss for them and me if they DID choose to sit next to me.
    If the train is completely full I usually just get up and stand until my stop so that commuters going longer distances can sit. But for the reasons above, I don't get annoyed when people keep their bags on seats, unless ALL available seats are full besides the one their bag is on. You never know what people's reasons are for doing things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Later on someone else got on and then asked to sit there and she said the seat was taken and that she is considerably richer than the guy who wanted to sit down and said he was welcome to sit on the floor!
    Ask them do they have a ticket for the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I find making eye contact with the latest passenger on the train/bus/plane and smiling at them non stop works better then a bag on the seat beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I find making eye contact with the latest passenger on the train/bus/plane and smiling at them non stop works better then a bag on the seat beside me.

A large set of headphones works wonders!

Just turn up the music when people get on the train and then return it to a socially acceptable level when the train moves off...brilliant tactic :P

especially in the mornings when if you have upbeat techno tunes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

CommuterIE wrote: »
    This really pisses me off, I usually get a train from town or on the Maynooth line at rush hour and the amount of people with their bags or handbags on the seat next to them is truely irritating. Some people don't ask them to move the bag, but I bloody do... sheer arrogance. What do you think of it?

I absolutely despise this. We need to bring back the conductor, especially on intercity trains. This, coupled with people occupying seats which they haven’t reserved is going to end up in a riot someday.

To fix this, seat reservations need to be mandatory, even for FTP holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

6 year old Zombie thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

df1985 wrote: »
    its been taken to a whole new level on airplanes with airlines like ryanair and no assigned seats.....people sitting in the aisle seat desperately not trying to make eye contact with other people looking for a seat!! or purposely spending ages sorting out their stuff for the overhead hold while they hope everyone else passes down by them.....

Now there is a blast from the past. The unassigned seats in Ryanair and the grand National steeplechase as 180 people rush to the plane , good times :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Del.Monte wrote: »
    6 year old Zombie thread.

Indeed. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement