Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to replace immersion element for dummies?

• 15-09-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I need some idiot proof instructions on how to go about it without doing something stupid.

I'm not practical at all.

Is it too small a job for someone to come do or just a waste of money? I do want to learn to do these types of things for myself.

Should say I tried resetting and it didn't work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you are not practical I would not start it...this is typically what is involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's not a DIY job imo. It's very easy to damage the collar of the cylinder while replacing the element. The whole cylinder will need replacing then. You can damage the coil inside the cylinder too. I'd start on much smaller plumbing jobs before ever tackling an immersion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's not a DIY job imo. It's very easy to damage the collar of the cylinder while replacing the element. The whole cylinder will need replacing then. You can damage the coil inside the cylinder too. I'd start on much smaller plumbing jobs before ever tackling an immersion

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brimstone20

Ok sound, I was planning on getting someone to do it and spoke to someone that was like do it yourself.

I said I wasn't practical and they made out like there was something wrong with me for not automatically knowing how to do it.

Good to know they were probably just an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Ok sound, I was planning on getting someone to do it and spoke to someone that was like do it yourself.

I said I wasn't practical and they made out like there was something wrong with me for not automatically knowing how to do it.

Anyone that says its easy has never changed one,they can turn into a nightmare job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Take no notice of armchair ....
    I have done loads of plumbing and this one job I just won't do.

I did try it on a cylinder that was being replaced and the solder just sheared when I put the pro spanner on it and applied the pressure

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I did try it on a cylinder that was being replaced and the solder just sheared when I put the pro spanner on it and applied the pressure

There is a knack in shocking the spanner with a hammer blow to get it started but still wouldn't recommend it as a DIY job

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

It's a bit like telling someone that changing the timing belt on a car is a diy job. It's easy enough if you know how and you have the right equipment but you can really mess it up if you don't know what you're doing.

I have years of experience as an electrician and would consider myself reasonably practical but I'll be ringing a plumber if the element in the immersion needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is a knack in shocking the spanner with a hammer blow to get it started but still wouldn't recommend it as a DIY job

so the four foot scaffold tube on the spanner was the wrong answer:D
    just kidding

Hope all is well with you

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've replaced mine.

It's a prick of a job if you don't have the tools or don't have the fortitude to not overdo it. It will make sense to those that have changed one.

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks guys, I'm beginning to think the person that said that was just winding me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

As a plumber I am terrified to change immersions. If the electricity is not correctly off you will be killed not probably. I know of 2 plumbers killed over the years.
    Get by that and try not damage the threads taking out the old one. Install the new one without damaging the copper or leaving a leak.

Call a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

tmabr wrote: »
    As a plumber I am terrified to change immersions. If the electricity is not correctly off you will be killed not probably. I know of 2 plumbers killed over the years.
    Get by that and try not damage the threads taking out the old one. Install the new one without damaging the copper or leaving a leak.

Call a pro

As my instructor in college told me, horses do courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

It may not be the element, it could be the thermostat which doesn't need any brute force to replace, if you have a bath/sink setting, try it on both settings after you are happy that you have pressed the reset button, if it doesn't operate on either setting then its likely that the thermostat needs renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Have done one before because it was Christmas and I couldn't get a plumber and it is a c$%t of a job. You are terrified of ripping the threads out or tearing the tank. Not enough force and it won't move. Too much force and you'll make sh1t of the tank.
    It refused to shift and I eventually had to blow torch it to death and it came off easily then.
    Call a plumber and save yourself some grief. Even plumbers hate the job so that should tell you something.

John.G wrote: »
    It may not be the element, it could be the thermostat which doesn't need any brute force to replace, if you have a bath/sink setting, try it on both settings after you are happy that you have pressed the reset button, if it doesn't operate on either setting then its likely that the thermostat needs renewing.

Oh OK, will try this thanks. I tried the rest button already and nothing.

My mother has trust issues with me after I flooded her sitting room and my dads music room because of a new immersion i wired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's actually easier to change the complete cylinder provided you can drain down both the heating system and the cold water feed to the cylinder. If my immersion ever gives up the ghost that's the route I'm taking as it looks like it had been leaking at some stage and I'd imagine the threads are in ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

gary71 wrote: »
    My mother has trust issues with me after I flooded her sitting room and my dads music room because of a new immersion i wired :(

Oops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Very easy to go very wrong.

Not a DIY job

• Advertisement

John.G wrote: »

Yeah could be this. Doesn't work on either setting after reset.

Also it just stopped working out of the blue. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

Here is a picture of a top mounted immersion heater, the thermostat is common to both elements, when you switch between sink and bath you are switching the mains supply to one or the other, the thermostat switches the common neutral. The immersion shown has a control thermostat wired in series with the hi limit stat, yours may be like this or have a combined control & hi limit stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Yeah could be this. Doesn't work on either setting after reset.

Also it just stopped working out of the blue. Not sure if that makes a difference though.
    I assume you checked the relevant fuse/MCB. Sister had a similar issue two weeks ago and it was the MCB that had tripped, worked fine when reset.
    M.

monseiur wrote: »
    I assume you checked the relevant fuse/MCB. Sister had a similar issue two weeks ago and it was the MCB that had tripped, worked fine when reset.
    M.

Yeah checked it, no problems.

If you have a phase tester I can show you a reasonable way of checking for element(s) or thermostat failure but you must remove the immersion cover (power off initially) to do so, it will only take a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Use a multi meter set to ohms and check each element for continuity. You should get a reading somewhere close to 18 ohms. A meter will also help you to establish continuity across thermostats and also to check for power supply.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Use a multi meter set to ohms and check each element for continuity. You should get a reading somewhere close to 18 ohms. A meter will also help you to establish continuity across thermostats and also to check for power supply.

The M.meter is the proper way of doing it but not everyone has one but may have a phase tester which should tell easily if the thermostat(s) are open circuit.

Please take good care IF doing this test with the phase tester.

Drain off 30/40 litres of cylinder water if very hot, if cold no need.

Switch off the Immersion Main Switch AND its MCB then remove the immersion cover.
    Switch the MCB & Main Switch back on and see what readings you get below.
    Select Sink, (black wire 1 should be sink but doesn't really matter for this test)
    Phase Tester lighting = ON & phase tester not lighting = OFF.

1 ON
    2 ON
    3 ON
    4 ON
    5 ON
    6 OFF
    7 OFF
    8 OFF

If combined control & o/heat stat then only go to step 6.
    if control stat is OK but o/heat stat is open circuit then 6 & 7 will be ON but 8 off.

When test completed switch off main switch plus the MCB and replace the cover

Advertisement