Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I put a deposit on a classic car

• 31-07-2020 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

It’s a Irish reg car that has been sent over to Poland for restoration it will take about 8 weeks.. Do I keep you all in suspense and post pictures through out the build ??
    Here is a few pictures of cars their working on here ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

Sweet, so does Classic Car Garage send them to Poland, get restored then sent back, 8 week is a quick turn around, what you having done?

Good luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Was it purely financial that you opted for Polish restoration work,
    or was it the lack of competent restorers her.

Just curious,
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

It’s just the way it came about no great planning on my behalf:) total restoration including new galvanized chassis had one back in the 1980’s so it’s bringing back plenty of happy memories..
    They have done a good few at this stage and the garage here and in Poland has the same owner..

noelf wrote: »
    It’s just the way it came about no great planning on my behalf:) total restoration including new galvanized chassis had one back in the 1980’s so it’s bringing back plenty of happy memories..
    They have done a good few at this stage and the garage here and in Poland has the same owner..

Sounds like a plan.
    Enjoy your new classic:)

Just got the reg for the car today it starts with WZG ..

The one we had in the ‘80s was PZG pretty close !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just me..but i wouldnt be happy sending my car away like that...i'd prefer to see and touch the progress...jus me tho...:o

I have seen some of the other cars they have done and I was very impressed with the final job they did on them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

noelf
    I have visited this restorer. As you know they do super work.
    I got a bare metal respray, expensive but excellent.
    The owner ,or perhaps now ex owner told me of the Poland project, I think since that costs in Poland might have risen, but more talent may be available.
    I have seen some total restorations there, in Kingscourt, but as many here will attest, until stripped down , costings are difficult.
    Do you intend to let us know the make/model?

isnt it hard to imagine that transporting a car that far, i am sure its a grand round trip, would be included in a ,say 10 k job

question, did you have an option of getting it done here by the same people, in other words, how long is the queue here

Cost of the job is €10500 that includes nearly €3000 worth of new parts that will be collected in France to be dropped off in Poland as I said above they have done several this way ..
    Maybe more expensive jobs would be done here !!

I forgot to mention they sourced the car ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rugbyman wrote: »
    isnt it hard to imagine that transporting a car that far, i am sure its a grand round trip, would be included in a ,say 10 k job

question, did you have an option of getting it done here by the same people, in other words, how long is the queue here

I've been quoted €8,500 here to respray (properly) my 01 TT - with no panel work needed at all, so €10,500 is a bargain for a whole-car resto to me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

.. and the TT is not a big car .. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've been quoted €8,500 here to respray (properly) my 01 TT - with no panel work needed at all, so €10,500 is a bargain for a whole-car resto to me.

Are they spraying it with gold plating or something? :D

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Are they spraying it with gold plating or something? :D

I think the word properly might have a bearing on the price.

I have heard of a few lads that can do it cheaper .....Boss:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Would have thought €8500 would still be pricey for a TT!

Anyways - good luck with the new purchase Op. look forward to the reveal!

Hopefully I’ll have some photos in the next week ..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Hopefully I’ll have some photos in the next week ..

Looking at their website on the sign, it doesn't exist?

I've been quoted some eye-watering numbers to get my T2 van done. 15-20k in Ireland. Would be very interested for a top job at 10k.

SL Modifications

Enterprise Centre Kells Road
    Kingscourt A82 R9P0 Co. Cavan
    mobile 0879162503
    email slmodification@gmail.com

Coming from the Navan side into Kingscourt it’s the first left turn and it’s behind the SuperValu ..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jucko

SL Modifications

Enterprise Centre Kells Road
    Kingscourt A82 R9P0 Co. Cavan
    mobile 0879162503
    email slmodification@gmail.com

Coming from the Navan side into Kingscourt it’s the first left turn and it’s behind the SuperValu ..

they have some fantastic cars sitting around the back.. i seen a w111 merc coupe shell just lying there .....

Jucko,
    I think i know the story on that one
    Somebody bought a resto project from abroad, It turned out to be porous, another was bought , so a make two into one is in progress.
    it seems to me , having gotten involved in a resto, and reading forums
    that a full body resto is only financially viable on a high value car. or one or sentimental value to the client.

If you ,or I buy an already restored car from an enthusiast, you get the work already done for very little!!

Regards

• Advertisement

Its doubtful that full body restos will ever be financially viable on the majority of classic cars.

Whether they be exceptional marques or not. Run of the mill classics, will always be more costly

to restore, than buying an already restored one. Exceptional classics will always command exceptional

resto costs by their nature of rarity of parts and car. That does not mean that this cost is recoupable on sale.

I would say that classic car ownership is an expensive hobby, unless you can do a lot of your own restoration

work.And an enthusiast will never recoup his labour cost, but of course they are not in it for that.

First photos..
    Can anyone guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jucko

First photos..
    Can anyone guess..
    2cv?

Spot on ..more pictures early next week ..

This is some of the ones we had back in the 1980's..

More pictures from Poland today ..

My mam had one in the late 80 when I was a kid.
    I remember lifting up the mats in the back and watching the road wizz by through the rust holes!
    My ma said she caught me pushing crisp packets out onto the road once.
    then my sister learned to drive in one around 2003,2004.
    When she got her next car it sat in the garden for 3,4,5 years and rotted away unfortunately.

All the parts are available to restore them through ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

So, as it's the same owner here as in Poland. Does he/she come out to look at your car in Ireland, and give you a quote (as best they can).

• Advertisement

They supply the car ..

Here is some photos of ones that they have done ..

Advertisement