Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of barbers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Two I know of went from 15 to 18 and 17 to 24

Taking the piss. It's now gouging.

Was sympathetic towards that industry but not anymore.

Invest in clippers and scissors. Most men's cuts could be nailed after 10 attempts imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d rather take it off at home in clumps with a hacksaw than pay 26 euro for a haircut.
    And once that sh1te hawking Paying 26 euro a cut starts it will be considered the normal anymore.

A recession will take out a lot of the price gougers. They know it and are making hay. Prices will fall back in line then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

6 wrote: »
    A recession will take out a lot of the price gougers. They know it and are making hay. Prices will fall back in line then.

Prices will of course fall back when distancing is not required and additional ppe not required.

Whether that's in 2 months or 2 years, nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

Darc19 wrote: »
    Prices will of course fall back when distancing is not required and additional ppe not required.

Whether that's in 2 months or 2 years, nobody knows.

my arse it will, just like when the serivce industry got the vat rate down to 9%. many didn't change their price but soon as it went up - boom instant.
    i'v invested during lock down and now have no further need i would say there is many there who done the same. If its nothing complex can be done solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Laviski wrote: »
    my arse it will, just like when the serivce industry got the vat rate down to 9%. many didn't change their price but soon as it went up - boom instant.
    i'v invested during lock down and now have no further need i would say there is many there who done the same. If its nothing complex can be done solo.

Dead right.once they jack up the prices and people are willing to pay mad money for a haircut the price will be left at 26 and they will sh1te talk you in the chair with the poor mouth and make it seem like they are doing you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Gone from 10 to 14 in mine, reasonable enough any more I'd be pissed off

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Gone from 10 to 15 in mine. I guess he will have to pay for the PPE equipment. Oh wait there is none. Or the limited number of people he can cut per day (oh wait there is no limitation). And of course, being self-employed, he will have to pay back the EUR350 weekly untaxed COVID payment he got for 4 months. Oh wait, he doesn't have to pay that back?

Rip off Ireland. Nothing new to see here folks.

unkel wrote: »
    Gone from 10 to 15 in mine. I guess he will have to pay for the PPE equipment. Oh wait there is none. Or the limited number of people he can cut per day (oh wait there is no limitation). And of course, being self-employed, he will have to pay back the EUR350 weekly untaxed COVID payment he got for 4 months. Oh wait, he doesn't have to pay that back?

The payment is taxable and why would it have to be paid back, the whole idea was to tide people over while out of work now they are back earning they need the income? It would be like expecting someone on jobseekers benefit to repay it.

If you are working all along you have already paid for your jobseekers benefit or covid payment.

As for prices, I don't mind a small increase of 3 euro which my barber is charging and I think thats possibly only for the senior barbers who you can book, walk ins with junior barbers may be the same price. I'm happy to pay 3 euro more going forward if they retain the booking system as I was in and out today in less time than I would normally be just sitting there waiting for a barber. They also have the increased costs of throwaway aprons and having the booking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What did he say when you raised your issues?

• Advertisement

What did he say when you raised your issues?

I had EUR15 in my hand to give to him (50% tip - most of his clientele are non-Europeans and they never tip him a cent) as I was in a good mood to finally get a cut, the home jobs were alright but obviously not to the same standard

Then he told me the price was EUR15, so I just gave him the money that was in my hand without saying anything. If he charges me EUR15 again the next time, I will ask some robust questions. If he insists, I won't be going there no more...

why would it have to be paid back, the whole idea was to tide people over while out of work now they are back earning they need the income? It would be like expecting someone on jobseekers benefit to repay it.

He's self-employed (like myself), so wouldn't even be entitled to any jobseekers benefit / dole (which as it happens is not much more than half the COVID payment)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Gone from 10 to 14 in mine, reasonable enough any more I'd be pissed off

That's a 40% increase.
    Show me any other bills you pay where a 40% increase would be acceptable.
    Petrol?
    Electricity?
    Car insurance?
    Rent?
    Not a one. You'd be raging.

Any barbers on here by the way?
    Maybe they could come on and justify their price increaes

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭cal naughton

Passed by two barber's today expecting long queues however there was none and no one waiting in the seats either just the actual barber's chair was filled.

They have completely misread the market and most people have copped on that they can do 90% as good a job as the barber's for a small initial investment in a clippers.

Passed by two barber's today expecting long queues however there was none and no one waiting in the seats either just the actual barber's chair was filled.

They have completely misread the market and most people have copped on that they can do 90% as good a job as the barber's for a small initial investment in a clippers.

Likely depends on the quality of barber. I booked last weekend and the barber I want was pretty much booked up for the week with only appointments here and there. Looked there and he is booked up until Wednesday next week. Other barbers are available in the same place.

Also unless you just do a 1,2,3 all over you can’t get anywhere near as good a cut at home as you will from a good barber. I refused to even let someone at home near my hair that’s for sure well worth paying for a good hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭bobbyss

So you have to have an appointment? Anyone pop in or are they too busy?
    Anyone know what the lads are charging in the Westside's Hair Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

bobbyss wrote: »

https://www.hairrepublic.ie/contact

Vote with your feet folks. Name and shame the ripoff barbers. A few mentioned already.

Also, be nice to know names of barbers that are not ripping off. Would rather give those guys the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

Got dry cut in Kozzys Knocknacarra...16 euro and very happy with the service. Normal price is 15

smurf492 wrote: »
    Got dry cut in Kozzys Knocknacarra...16 euro and very happy with the service. Normal price is 15

6% increase. Fair play to Kozzys, that's more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭fire and ice

bobbyss wrote: »

They are charging €25. Was €18 previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Not in Galway but in Cork. I go to a busy city centre barber, €15 for a dry cut, same as before.
    Stringent regulations in place.

They are charging €25. Was €18 previously.

Westside's Hair Republic 39% increase? Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

He's self-employed (like myself), so wouldn't even be entitled to any jobseekers benefit / dole (which as it happens is not much more than half the COVID payment)

Self-employed people have always been entitled to the dole = JSA.

The media keep saying that they are not entitled to the dole.

They are, the same as anybody else.

It's JSB that they were not entitled to, however, recently, the self-employed have become entitled to JSB.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/self-employed-to-benefit-from-the-dole-for-the-first-time-from-november-1.3874890

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit_self_employed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

6 wrote: »
    6% increase. Fair play to Kozzys, that's more like it.

Agreed. I expect some sort of increase due to costs incurred by businesses but when you break down the price rise per head, some places are taking the piss. What was Fat Tony's prices before the lockdown? I stopped going to them a few years ago as they went up to €17 for a dry cut and it was too much for me and what I required.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tilikum17 wrote:
    €31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.

I'm not saying that you couldn't pay this in Dublin but you'd have to knock on a lot of barbers doors before you found one that expensive. €15 to €20 is average for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Geuze wrote:
    Self-employed people have always been entitled to the dole = JSA.

Maybe I'm mixing up my terminology here but isn't JSA prsi based payment for up to 18 months? Self employed were never entitled to this payment.

Self employed are allowed to apply for what we used to call "the assistance". This was not prsi based but was means tested. If others in the household earned money then you qualified for a tiny payment or in some cases nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Warbeastrior

My barber is a very good friend of mine. He was €13 and he's gone up to €16. That's the right type of price jump. That won't leave many people shaking their head. Especially cos he's one of the best around in my part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mixing up my terminology here but isn't JSA prsi based payment for up to 18 months? Self employed were never entitled to this payment.

Self employed are allowed to apply for what we used to call "the assistance". This was not prsi based but was means tested. If others in the household earned money then you qualified for a tiny payment or in some cases nothing at all

JSB = based on PRSI, 9 months, used to be 15 months before 2010

JSA = means-tested = "dole"

Self-employed were always able to apply for JSA, always.

Recently, as Leo Varadkar said he was in favour of extending Social Insurance, now self-employed can qualify for JSB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

listermint wrote: »
    Prices across the board for barbers as a joke. It's as if the trade got together and decided the customers should cover the last 3 months of losses not withstanding the fact these guys were collecting he covid payment no doubt.

Having a laugh with across the board increases of 7 to 15 euro.

Madness. It will back fire.

What's clear is there's barbers in this thread.

The old barber I used to go to increased his price from €7 to €12 just before the pandemic. The cut I get is simple, shave back and sides and a trim up top. His cuts were alright generally (though once he forgot to cut part of my head) but I thought if I'm going to be paying anywhere near the standard price I'm going to go somewhere else. So when I heard the barbers were reopening I had a look at the others nearby - saw one with a decent set-up and a dry cut listed as €15 in the window. Fine.

The hair was now an overgrown mess so I head down to my new lad this morning, he's now €21, cash only. First and last time he'll cut it. Just bought a shaver, **** that.

Advertisement