Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin mid west election 2020

• 19-01-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Im surprised at FG, FF and SF all running 2 candidates. Serious risk of splitting thier vote. Seems pretty open to me. Can see Gino and Ward losing seats. FG to get 1. 4th seat up for grabs. (I could be way off though :-) )

According to Wiki..........

Fine Gael Vicki Casserly
    Fianna Fáil John Curran
    Independent Paul Gogarty
    Fine Gael Emer Higgins
    Renua Howard Hughes
    Green Party Peter Kavanagh
    Solidarity–PBP Gino Kenny
    Fianna Fáil Catriona McClean
    Inds. 4 Change Ruth Nolan
    Sinn Féin Eoin Ó Broin
    Independent Francis Timmons
    Labour Party Joanna Tuffy
    Sinn Féin Mark Ward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No SD candidate.

Who to vote for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Strange that FF are running Catriona McLean along with Curran, when it was Moynihan who they pushed and who picked up the most FF votes in the by election. Must be just there as the token woman I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Didn't vote in the by election as it was a joke having it, as we knew an election was coming. Alot of people were of the same opinion as me, so I believe Ward's seat is not a real view of things.

Here is my view on the list

Fine Gael Vicki Casserly - good locally but not sure she is a TD level
    Fianna Fáil John Curran - Never heard from him until election time.
    Independent Paul Gogarty - Like Paul, good green agenda not too many posters up
    Fine Gael Emer Higgins - Does this woman ever stop putting posters up all over Lucan, never heard from her or see anything she does
    Renua Howard Hughes : ?
    Green Party Peter Kavanagh : Not heard much from
    Solidarity–PBP Gino Kenny : Never heard from since he got elected
    Fianna Fáil Catriona McClean : Never heard from her.
    Inds. 4 Change Ruth Nolan : Just know the posters
    Sinn Féin Eoin Ó Broin : Seems quite active in the dail
    Independent Francis Timmons : who?
    Labour Party Joanna Tuffy : Past it, never does anything for lucan
    Sinn Féin Mark Ward : Never heard a word from it before the by election or since

Predictions:

O Broin, Gogarty, Casserly, Curran

My Vote:

Gogarty, Casserly, O' Broin (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Didn't vote in the by election as it was a joke having it, as we knew an election was coming. Alot of people were of the same opinion as me, so I believe Ward's seat is not a real view of things.

Here is my view on the list

Fine Gael Vicki Casserly - good locally but not sure she is a TD level
    Fianna Fáil John Curran - Never heard from him until election time.
    Independent Paul Gogarty - Like Paul, good green agenda not too many posters up
    Fine Gael Emer Higgins - Does this woman ever stop putting posters up all over Lucan, never heard from her or see anything she does
    Renua Howard Hughes : ?
    Green Party Peter Kavanagh : Not heard much from
    Solidarity–PBP Gino Kenny : Never heard from since he got elected
    Fianna Fáil Catriona McClean : Never heard from her.
    Inds. 4 Change Ruth Nolan : Just know the posters
    Sinn Féin Eoin Ó Broin : Seems quite active in the dail
    Independent Francis Timmons : who?
    Labour Party Joanna Tuffy : Past it, never does anything for lucan
    Sinn Féin Mark Ward : Never heard a word from it before the by election or since

Predictions:

O Broin, Gogarty, Casserly, Curran

My Vote:

Gogarty, Casserly, O' Broin (maybe)

I think Vicki Casserly and Gogarty will be after the same (Lucan) votes, I'm not sure I can see them both getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Fine Gael Vicki Casserly
    Never heard of her, seen her posters up and googled her. Good idea to run her seeing as lucan has no TD at the moment. Might take votes from Gogarty aswell which would probably aid Higghins

Fianna Fáil John Curran
    Elected, no doubt, a Clondalkin village lock vote tbh

Independent Paul Gogarty
    Should do well in Lucan/Palmerstown and might get over the line

Fine Gael Emer Higgins
    The party candidate they expect to get elected. Mistake theyve made here is she isn't from Clondalkin/Lucan so wont have the big catchment areas covered. Should do well in Saggart/Rathcoole

Renua Howard Hughes
    Never heard of him

Green Party Peter Kavanagh
    Seemed active but Gogarty running will attract some of the green vote

Solidarity–PBP Gino Kenny
    Cant see him being reelected, Ward will take votes from him as will O'Broin

Fianna Fáil Catriona McClean
    Another Lucan resident, the cynic in me thinks both herself and Casserly were strategically selected to both take from Gogarty and transfer well to running mates.

Inds. 4 Change Ruth Nolan
    No idea

Sinn Féin Eoin Ó Broin
    Elected, would have fancied him to top the poll but with Ward running, first preferences will split.

Independent Francis Timmons
    Will attract his usual 1200ish votes

Labour Party Joanna Tuffy
    Toxic brand in the area, Tuffy ahead of Dowds again based on location. Tuffy isn't great and not very visible from what I've seen in recent years

Sinn Féin Mark Ward
    Could get a 2nd Sinn Fein seat, would need a lot of things to fall into place but has strong local support, will take a fair bit of the Gino vote but the vote split will be important.[/quote]

Curran, O'Broin, Higgins and Gogarty to be elected I reckon. If Higgins doesnt transfer well then Ward could come into play depending on turnout. A high turnout here is bad for FF/FG in some ways

• Advertisement

First canvasser to my door tonight and it was Sinn Fein, no big team, just one older lad knocking doors. Very clear instruction to vote O Broin 1 and Ward 2, be interested to see if they are doing that across the board or trying to split the constituency in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

duffman13 wrote: »
    First canvasser to my door tonight and it was Sinn Fein, no big team, just one older lad knocking doors. Very clear instruction to vote O Broin 1 and Ward 2, be interested to see if they are doing that across the board or trying to split the constituency in some way

They're splitting the constituency. The one two is the other way around in other areas.

I've never voted Sinn Fein but to suggest, as an earlier poster did, that Mark Ward hadn't been heard from is pretty ridiculous. He was hyperactive as mayor of SDCC and introduced a bill on his first or second day in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

John Curran is chairman of a big Oireachtas committee (social protection). He is active in there to be fair to him.

Peter Kavanagh of the greens is very active online and seems a decent sort

Higgins topped the Clondalkin poll in the local elections. She seems to be given a huge push for that and the bye election. Works for google. Annoyed plenty at the by election by saying she can’t afford a house despite earning about 100k a year

O’Brien and Curran are ultra safe. Higgins was second at the by election so you’d expect her to get in for FG

The last one is pretty open. SF may steal it from Gino Kenny if there’s a sizeable swing towards them. Gogarty to play spoiler

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've only lived in the area 4 years but I've never seen one ounce of effort/concern from the FG elected in Clondalkin area (not even prior canvassing). Pretty much everyone else on the list (inc Indos) have had some form of engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

I think because Mark Ward won the by-election, Sinn Fein have no choice but to run with the 2 sitting TDs. i predict that because of this Eoin Ó Broins transfers will be split between Mark Ward and Gino Kenny, both Clondalkin based, they both might miss out.

My prediction: 1. Eoin Ó Broin
    2. John Curran
    3. Emer Higgins
    4. Paul Gogarty

It will be very close for that last seat, if Joanna Tuffy polls well that could scupper Gogartys vote and it will be very tight between Gogarty, Ward and Kenny. Tuffy might well surprise, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

why is there no SD candidate? anne marie mcnally not bothered to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

emo72 wrote: »
    why is there no SD candidate? anne marie mcnally not bothered to run?

She performed miserably in the by-election, out after the second count. She'd need an unbelievable campaign at short notice to turn that vote around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Statement by McNally:

EOPgCqeXUAATJTd?format=jpg&name=small

They're splitting the constituency. The one two is the other way around in other areas.

I've never voted Sinn Fein but to suggest, as an earlier poster did, that Mark Ward hadn't been heard from is pretty ridiculous. He was hyperactive as mayor of SDCC and introduced a bill on his first or second day in the Dail.

Wouldn't be a Sinn Fein voter myself but Ward is probably the most active candidate in the local area which is why he stands a good shout. I wonder if they are putting Ward big in Neilstown and hoping he gets the vote out and transfers well from the likes of Kenny, if they can eliminate him first.

Its going to be an interesting count alright. As for someone else saying FG haven't been active in the area, I'd agree, Curran will walk it on name recognition with FF but Higgens isn't Fitzgerald (FG) who again walked previous campaigns based name recognition. She could be elected but I'm not sure with the FG brand and lack of name recognition is going to go against her

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I had Emer Higgins for Fine Gael at my door. Her aide called in and I informed him that the last 2 FG I voted for (Derek Keating and Frances Fitzgerald) turned out to be disasters. The aide just stared blankly at me and called Higgins over who got very defensive about Fitzgerald saying she sacrificed herself for her country and walked off in a huff!!

Won't be voting her anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I had Emer Higgins for Fine Gael at my door. Her aide called in and I informed him that the last 2 FG I voted for (Derek Keating and Frances Fitzgerald) turned out to be disasters. The aide just stared blankly at me and called Higgins over who got very defensive about Fitzgerald saying she sacrificed herself for her country and walked off in a huff!! Won't be voting her anyway :D

Some sacrifice! Did she end up in jail or something?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Not sure John Curran is as safe as he used to be..

He is never seen locally, perceived to do very little for the area and did not support the Repeal of the 8th.

A lot of voters I’ve spoken to want some non Clondalkin based Tds. Also there is currently no female representation.

Pixied wrote: »
    Not sure John Curran is as safe as he used to be..

He is never seen locally, perceived to do very little for the area and did not support the Repeal of the 8th.

A lot of voters I’ve spoken to want some non Clondalkin based Tds. Also there is currently no female representation.
    Well to be fair there’s only no female or non-Clondalkin representation since Fitzgerald.

In the 2011 elections there were 3 from outside Clondalkin and 2 women

For what it’s worth I think voting people (or locations) rather than parties is a big problem in general elections. They’re supposed to be running the country, not doing the work of councillors

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

Dodge wrote: »
    Well to be fair there’s only no female or non-Clondalkin representation since Fitzgerald.

In the 2011 elections there were 3 from outside Clondalkin and 2 women

For what it’s worth I think voting people (or locations) rather than parties is a big problem in general elections. They’re supposed to be running the country, not doing the work of councillors

Just because there is no female TD since Fitzgerald doesn’t mean there isn’t a certain desire for it, especially since the Repeal of the 8th.

Yes, I agree people should vote for those who can and will run the country. It’s not going to happen very soon. There has been so much corruption and neglect on a national and local scale that people want to see an active local TD, who they feel they can have confidence in. Yes councillors should be doing a lot of certain types of queries but they often don’t, can’t or don’t have the pull. Again, that’s just my reading.

I’m not sure any seat is comfortably safe but Sinn Fein know how to get the vote out.

I feel sorry for Emer Higgins, she does try, but comes across impatient at times and Fine Gael are no longer in favour.

Pity about Anne Marie Mc Nally. Tuffy is not talked about around me as a strong candidate. Timmons is well respected but I don’t think his profile is high enough to win a seat.

People generally seem to want big change.

Just because there is no female TD since Fitzgerald doesn’t mean there isn’t a certain desire for it, especially since the Repeal of the 8th.

I wasn’t suggesting people didn’t want it, but rather that it’s only for the last few months that this constituency didn’t have one. Every other election has returned at least one woman, and sometimes two

We’ll see how much change people want in a few weeks. I can guarantee you they won’t get anything by voting in independents

• Advertisement

Yes, I agree people should vote for those who can and will run the country. It’s not going to happen very soon. There has been so much corruption and neglect on a national and local scale that people want to see an active local TD, who they feel they can have confidence in. Yes councillors should be doing a lot of certain types of queries but they often don’t, can’t or don’t have the pull. Again, that’s just my reading.

I’m not sure any seat is comfortably safe but Sinn Fein know how to get the vote out.

I feel sorry for Emer Higgins, she does try, but comes across impatient at times and Fine Gael are no longer in favour.

Pity about Anne Marie Mc Nally. Tuffy is not talked about around me as a strong candidate. Timmons is well respected but I don’t think his profile is high enough to win a seat.

People generally seem to want big change.

The problem you have here is all of them are somewhat weak candidates or lack profile. Out of them Higgins is competent and would probably be a good representative for the area but here association with the current government will cost her. Mind you I'd consider Gino Kenny a very weak candidate but he'll get a certain cohort voting for him.

Tuffy isn't a good orator and isn't very present from what I've seen. O'Brioin and Curran are probably the two most coherent politicians in the area although Curran is probably based off past performance as opposed to the last 10 years.

You would think if the Greens ran a strong female, lucan based candidate they'd poll well and transfer well too just based on demographics and location. Gogarty is a thoroughly unlikeable politician IMO but will mop up a lot of the lucan palmerstown vote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

If you don't want to vote FFFGLAB there's not a lot of options left is there? Have to say there's a complete dearth of quality.

If you don't want to vote FFFGLAB there's not a lot of options left is there? Have to say there's a complete dearth of quality.
    Sometimes wonder are we better off not voting at all and send a message that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I know what you mean. I've been living in Lexlip the last 4 years but haven't re-registered. There is no candidate who really appeals to me. At this rate I'll probably give Paul 'F You Deputy Stagg' Gogarty my number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I think that Paul Gogarty will poll well.
    In my experience he is the only representative that actually does anything for Palmerstown.
    None of the other candidates seem to think that Palmerstown is even in the constituency, they represent either Lucan or Clondalkin. That will be a factor in the overall result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sinn Fein have a great record in the North of managing their vote. If they replicate that in Mid West they could get the two seats probably at the expense of Gino. However I don't think the electorate can't be managed like that ( exception Healy Rae land!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Mitzy wrote: »
    In my experience he is the only representative that actually does anything for Palmerstown.
    None of the other candidates seem to think that Palmerstown is even in the constituency, they represent either Lucan or Clondalkin. That will be a factor in the overall result.

Agreed. I'm originally from Palmerstown and he's well liked around the area. He'll get a decent vote there

Mitzy wrote: »

He is very good, but if he gets elected, his job is not local issues anymore.

My question for all candidates calling to my house is the following:

"For all the policies you are promising, please tell me how you will implement them and without tax increases. As we pay enough tax for crap services already."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Still 4 seats this time? Reckon John anti-abortion Curran will go, and Gogarty will slip back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I'll be giving 1 and 2 to Sinn Fein, nothing to anyone else. Never did this before but sick of the FFFGLab and their disconnect from the voters and the independants cant achieve anything.

Advertisement