Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

CoBo55 wrote: »
    No you weren't, the 650 will run on unleaded, anyway I suspect most of them will be pleasure drives, so for the amount of driving they're going to get, lead memory should see them out. Don't grind the valves!!

I think you should probably qualify your answer a bit, for the benefit of the OP, who may not know about in depth engine rebuilds

As if he googles cx650 re builds for himself, he will find ample information about regrinding valves in both the CX500 and CX650

https://books.google.ie/books?id=AgjCCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=should+i+grind+in+cx650+valves&source=bl&ots=hYvhl3aMQb&sig=ACfU3U0hGLIYXlke457kx1BVNM2tcZ0zPw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXyeaxsfvnAhWRN8AKHZRrBhcQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=should%20i%20grind%20in%20cx650%20valves&f=false

Apart from many forums that suggest grinding them in . I cannot comment on it myself, as my experience has been with brit bikes and early jap GS650g bikes, but not the silverwing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I'v worked on ferguson and Massy.

But long time ago. So yes.

I'm looking forward to what OP does rather than arguing but a bit of input and knowledge is helpful.

Apologies, shouldn't have put it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kadman wrote: »
    I think you should probably qualify your answer a bit, for the benefit of the OP, who may not know about in depth engine rebuilds

As if he googles cx650 re builds for himself, he will find ample information about regrinding valves in both the CX500 and CX650

https://books.google.ie/books?id=AgjCCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=should+i+grind+in+cx650+valves&source=bl&ots=hYvhl3aMQb&sig=ACfU3U0hGLIYXlke457kx1BVNM2tcZ0zPw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXyeaxsfvnAhWRN8AKHZRrBhcQ6AEwAHoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=should%20i%20grind%20in%20cx650%20valves&f=false

Apart from many forums that suggest grinding them in . I cannot comment on it myself, as my experience has been with brit bikes and early jap GS650g bikes, but not the silverwing:)
    I won’t, as like all threads on boards it’s starting to descend into mess and it’s a great thread... would love to hear that cub running... haven’t heard one in years.

Maybe we should get back to the classic cars and leave the bikes in the shed,
    less hissy fits with the cars.:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cashelc4

If you do part with some of these vehicles and they are restored to working order , maybe the respective owners could organize a charity run with your involvement at some point.

Call it your dads collection or something :)

• Advertisement

Do you know what was the cause of the breakdown with the VW at the time.
    Was it ever going after that. Did your dad do his own mechanics?

Do you know what was the cause of the breakdown with the VW at the time.
    Was it ever going after that. Did your dad do his own mechanics?

Valve guides usually killed them.. or rust. The wife getting her legs soaked on wet days usually decided it was time to get rid..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

This is one of the very few threads on boards that I was enjoying. Spoiled now by aggressive KIAs like cobo55.

Valve guides usually killed them.. or rust. The wife getting her legs soaked on wet days usually decided it was time to get rid..

Sorry:confused::confused:
    Is this in reference to the thread squareback??

I have never known valve guides to stop any vw engine

Sorry I was refering to alphas VW::)

This is one of the very few threads on boards that I was enjoying. Spoiled now by aggressive KIAs like cobo55.

This thread is not dead or spoilt, its just a misunderstanding is all.:p

And while that squareback is in the shed, this thread lives:D:D

• Advertisement

This is for alpha's squareback, I'll be asking questions later:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

This thread is not dead or spoilt, its just a misunderstanding is all.:p

And while that squareback is in the shed, this thread lives:D:D
    This thread is top of trending at the moment ahead of coronavirus threads :D

Sorry:confused::confused:
    Is this in reference to the thread squareback??

I have never known valve guides to stop any vw engine

Sorry I was refering to alphas VW::)

I've seen loads where the guides get loose in the head and cause the valves to jam open, you can guess the rest. Probably easily sorted nowadays but back when they were everyday transport people just didn't have the bobs to sort them. Rust was dreadful in them.

Where was I being aggressive? What does KIA mean?

Alphas engine is more or less identical to the one in the vid. Very little changed on these down
    through the years. The mounting methods changed from a pivot to a bar,
    somewhere along the way.

A compression test on his engine will tell a lot in a short space of time,
    with the right battery

I've seen loads where the guides get loose in the head and cause the valves to jam open, you can guess the rest. Probably easily sorted nowadays but back when they were everyday transport people just didn't have the bobs to sort them. Rust was dreadful in them.

I have never seen that myself, never heard of that ,
    and i have worked on lots of vw engines, and still do. Might be a topic for another thread, but not this one :)

Most recent rebuild is actually a fast back engine , same as the one in the vid I posted. And parts are cheap, and the engineering is german, so simple.

Maybe alpha might give it a go;)

Where was I being aggressive? What does KIA mean?

Killed In Action

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Killed In Action

Or 'Know it all' :)

Either way, let's all relax and enjoy the thread for what it is.

emeldc wrote: »
    Or 'Know it all' :)

Either way, let's all relax and enjoy the thread for what it is.

Jeez man, he has an early squareback in his shed, how can we relax:eek::D:D

Jeez man, he has an early squareback in his shed, how can we relax:eek::D:D

A 64 Cub on Irish plates... Never hacked in the fields, definitely my pick of the lot:D

• Advertisement

A 64 Cub on Irish plates... Never hacked in the fields, definitely my pick of the lot:D

I was hoping when he said his dad drove Fiats that there might have been a 128 buried in there somewhere but alas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was hoping when he said his dad drove Fiats that there might have been a 128 buried in there somewhere but alas :(

Lol! I pm'd him shortly after the thread started asking if there were any 128s!:D

We had one, absolute rot box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

no 128s I'm afraid - All I remember about the Fiats (especially the 127s) was that they rusted away to nothing very quickly .... The ritmos and tipos that came after were better but none of them lasted.

I myself had a Fiat coupe and an Alfa GTV (hence my Boards name!!) back int he 90's and 00's and would readily have kept both, but for the fact that every bit of spare room here was already taken up by you know who lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Without searching through 35 pages... has op uploaded pics of this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Without searching through 35 pages... has op uploaded pics of this car?

post number 116 - if you mean the peugeot

alfa beta wrote: »
    no 128s I'm afraid - All I remember about the Fiats (especially the 127s) was that they rusted away to nothing very quickly .... The ritmos and tipos that came after were better but none of them lasted.

I myself had a Fiat coupe and an Alfa GTV (hence my Boards name!!) back int he 90's and 00's and would readily have kept both, but for the fact that every bit of spare room here was already taken up by you know who lol.
    I had several saloons, two 3p’s and an SL Coupe. I was only looking at marketplace in Italy the other day where you can still buy plenty of saloons at decent money. Anyway, thanks for the thread, it’s nice to reminisce.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you put a VW engine into a CX650, or vice versa? :)

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Can you put a VW engine into a CX650, or vice versa? :)

You can put a vw engine into any shaft drive bike, simple procedure really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

You can put a vw engine into any shaft drive bike, simple procedure really.

Typically, BMW's were used to receive VW engines as they already had a boxer motor fitted originally. I wouldn't call it a simple procedure though as the frame needs to be cut in half and length added. The bottom tubes also need to be widened. Interestingly, the converted bikes look "factory" in that they looked almost original !

Advertisement