Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Gumbo wrote: »
    €1600 a guy on Facebook got quoted today for a zappi install.
    Rang another guy, €1200.

For a glorified external socket.
    It's not a glorified socket-outlet. There is an entire Section of special Rules for EVSE installations in the Rules. You only call it a glorified socket-outlet because you don't understand the issues and implications.

And running a cable for a new circuit is NOT minor works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's not a glorified socket-outlet. There is an entire Section of special Rules for EVSE installations in the Rules. You only call it a glorified socket-outlet because you don't understand the issues and implications.

And running a cable for a new circuit is NOT minor works.

So you justify €1600 for the fitting of an RCBO, drill a 6mm sq. Cable through a wall and join it to a car charger.

The only hard part is connecting the RCBO and that’s the bit I left to my electrician.

Also can you point us to the details of the regs please as I’m genuinely curious for future installations.

ET101 is gone so I’m assuming it’s in EN10101?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So you justify €1600 for the fitting of an RCBO, drill a 6mm sq. Cable through a wall and join it to a car charger.

Don't forget the pointless isolator, an item seemingly only required in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Don't forget the pointless isolator, an item seemingly only required in Ireland

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that I like the isolator :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Felexicon wrote: »
    Who is charging €700 for an install? And who is paying it.

I paid €700 in 2018 for the install, but in my defence my fuse board is in the middle of the house and I forced the sparks to route the wire through some ducting rather than install surface trunking on my walls. Also there was a shed wire and a sub board installed, so that added cost

If you believe it, they were actually the cheapest option, one lad was going to take a wire out of the meter box and charge me €900 for the privilege :rolleyes:

Truth is there's a lot of sparks out there who aren't interested in taking the jobs and would rather do site work which pays better and has less oversight.

I'm not gonna say whether running cables is legit or not but the government seriously needs to revisit what's allowed under 'minor works' since electricians have just been given license to do anything and charge whatever they want for it.

In the UK you can do a domestic installer course in about 2 days which give you enough knowledge to do basic cable runs and installation works without injuring yourself or burning your house down.

They need something like that here so that people can safely do minor electrical works on their house instead of having to call in the sparks to change a light switch :(

I'm considering putting ducting under the front flower beds and replacing my EO Mini with a Zappi (or even a pair of load balanced Zappis if I can persuade the missus to go electric). I can guarantee you that I'll be running the cables myself and at most getting the sparks to connect up the wires at either end

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dbloke

I'm finding it impossible to get my charger installed here in North Kerry. I dream of getting a quote for €700! One quote for €1200, no one else will reply to emails, answer the phone or are too busy to even look at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Is there an annual subscription charge for the EO Hub? I got a quote for the hub & charger and they included on the quote
    Annual charge to connect EO GENIUS/ EO HUB installation to
    EO CLOUD - per charger per annum (3 yrs up front), 3 @ EUR

Is this correct? Do all smart chargers have an annual fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

dbloke wrote: »
    I'm finding it impossible to get my charger installed here in North Kerry. I dream of getting a quote for €700! One quote for €1200, no one else will reply to emails, answer the phone or are too busy to even look at the job.

€1200 including charger I assume. That's standard enough to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Felexicon wrote: »
    €1200 including charger I assume. That's standard enough to be fair

Reads like he has the charger and €1200 was the install charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

Also can you point us to the details of the regs please as I’m genuinely curious for future installations.

ET101 is gone so I’m assuming it’s in EN10101?

Page 6 covers most requirements

https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/07/July-2019-Newsletter-Final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

meercat wrote: »

I see in that newsletter they say...
    "It is also worth nothing that some form of local isolation and further protection are currently under review and will be added to in the new edition of the wiring rules"

The newsletter is from last year so what was the final wording in the latest regs? Is that available online to view?

Does it say "must" for the local isolator?

KCross wrote: »
    I see in that newsletter they say...
    "It is also worth nothing that some form of local isolation and further protection are currently under review and will be added to in the new edition of the wiring rules"

The newsletter is from last year so what was the final wording in the latest regs? Is that available online to view?

Does it say "must" for the local isolator?

It’s been done to death in this thread already as I’m sure you already know

Every appliance shall be provided with a separate isolation switch.....
    The device shall be installed within 2m,at a height between 400mm and 600mm......

The device shall be installed within 2m,at a height between 400mm and 600mm......

When you say appliance, does that include fridges, washing machines etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Is an outdoor socket an appliance then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

When you say appliance, does that include fridges, washing machines etc

Presume so I have switches for them all in a new build

Cyrus wrote: »
    Presume so I have switches for them all in a new build

That’s where I’m going with this ;)
    I put switches in for my integrated appliances in the kitchen back in 2017.
    Guarantee you the switches are not between 400 and 600mm off the ground. They are above the kitchen counter top.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Guarantee you the switches are not between 400 and 600mm off the ground. They are above the kitchen counter top.

I was thinking that after I replied !

You Sir, have broken the law, are a criminal & are going to jail :p.

...........apparently, that's what the electricians on here are claiming anyway........I've no idea........they are the experts.......

Do the eCars 22kW AC charge points have isolator switches fitted, publically accessible, 2 feet above the ground?

I know the ones in Decathlon do..........

Sorry. Relevant regulation
    1) switches for permanently connected appliances between 400mm-1200mm above floor level

• Advertisement

Indeed. Just wanted to see the official wording as all that was ever discussed was peoples opinions rather than fact.

So, is that just a general reg around appliances and not in an EV specific section of the regs talking about charge points?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kramer wrote: »

Exactly, at the end of the day a type 2 charging point is an electrical socket. The charging appliance is inside the vehicle.

You Sir, have broken the law, are a criminal & are going to jail :p.

...........apparently, that's what the electricians on here are claiming anyway........I've no idea........they are the experts.......

While I do agree with you, I had a sparks do that bit as it was part of a major renovation/extension :)
    Do the eCars 22kW AC charge points have isolator switches fitted, publically accessible, 2 feet above the ground?

I know the ones in Decathlon do..........

I know all the chargers in my job have them alright.
    It’s handy too as most errors can be quickly sorted by a turn off/on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

liamog wrote: »
    Exactly, at the end of the day a type 2 charging point is an electrical socket. The charging appliance is inside the vehicle.
    It isn't just a socket though, and although it's true that the charger itself is inside the vehicle, there is electronic circuitry in the chargepoint that handles the handshake between the car's charger and the chargepoint to determine maximum charging current and a relay to initiate charging. It's this that makes it an "appliance" I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, it's just a socket, so no isolation switch needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

For anyone who has load management devices did you go with priority switches or dynamic load management devices?

Have a 2018 Nissan Leaf so bought a Rolec Charger, 40a MCB, new tails and busbar as recommended by local electrician who is installing it. Would prefer to get a DLM style device if that exists for Rolec? I don't think it does from what I can tell so might just be stuck with the priority switch.

Feeder wrote: »
    For anyone who has load management devices did you go with priority switches or dynamic load management devices?

Have a 2018 Nissan Leaf so bought a Rolec Charger, 40a MCB, new tails and busbar as recommended by local electrician who is installing it. Would prefer to get a DLM style device if that exists for Rolec? I don't think it does from what I can tell so might just be stuck with the priority switch.

Dynamic load management is the way to go but a priority switch will work too.

I havent looked at Rolec recently but their basic models didnt have DLM so you are probably stuck if you have already bought one of their basic models.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Feeder

Thanks for confirming my suspicions KCross. Yes it's a basic charger so no DLM functions exist for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Feeder wrote: »

If you don't gave a heavy load item in you house you don't need one. As is no instant electric shower, heat pump etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Hi all - quick question, wondering has anyone got a charger installed in their garage using the fuse box in the garage instead of the main fuse box in the house?

I have a garage and was going to install it in there rather than on the house somewhere.

Thanks!

Advertisement