Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No log book and partial number plate

Options
  • 16-09-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I recently purchased a vehicle with no log book and only a partial pre 87 number plate visible on the vehicle. Its a Long story the vehicle was in my family previously and i never dreamed i would ever see it again let alone own it, so huge sentimental attachment.
    Anyways....on the car check sites, i have tried all the possible combinations of the number plate, based on the old system by county, and have had no hits for the vehicle, is this unusual? , or is the data base no worth a ****e?
    Any advice would be welcome so that i can determine the correct registration in order to look for a replacement log book and keep the original registration, as i dont want to go with a ZV plate.
    In a nut shell how can i determine the correct registration armed with a partial reg?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Long shot but is there a chance any of the windows had the reg etched in to them, think insurance companies offered this around late 80's to discourage theft and cloning.

Assume all tax and insurance discs are long gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Chassis number , may be on record in county of registration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you tried Shannon? There may well be a dusty old cupboard they could send someone looking in, if you know the address and a rough time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Have you any family photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vintagevet

Im still in the process of searching for any clues or old photos in my home place, but i dont think it will yield results to be honest, different times back then, no camera phones, and its over 40 years ago.
    Chassis number i have alright, but i suspect it wont be enough, or nobody in the tax office will be bothered to check based on that alone, the first item of detail requested on the form for a replacement log book is the registration number.
    Nothing on the windows and no i haven't tried Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Not a solution, but the reason that doesn’t appear in online databases is because it wasn’t being taxed when they migrated to computerised records. If you do determine the correct reg, it can still be added manually today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vintagevet

Listermint....

Two completely different situations and the vehicles in questions are worlds apart, i'm not sure what the purpose of your post was? it alludes that my post is untruthful or misleading actually, the tone is not good or helpful.

Advertisement