Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help! separate Hot water supply from main house to basement apartment

• 17-09-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We are converting our basement into a separate self contained 1 bed for family.

our oil boiler is down there in a large service cupboard/ small room and there is already a bathroom with hot/cold feed in the basement (this will be getting renovated to add a shower) but we want to make sure that the hot water supply in the basement is separate to main house.

Is it possible to install a second hot water cylinder with emersion (already one in the upstairs hotpress in the main house) in the service cupboard where the boiler is, cap the old hot water supply that would currently be from the main house and run a new hot feed from the new second tank?

If this is possible would I need to also install a water pump and does anyone know how much this might cost?

electric shower isn't an option as there are already 2 in the main house.

There's also a service hatch at the top of the basement stairs that would be directly above the boiler cupboard with all the water lines from the attic and upstairs hot water tank so I'd assume connecting into a water supply would be handy enough?

we also have torn down the ceiling to redo it for soundproofing reasons so running pipes etc from new tank would be ideal to do now if it is possible.

Any help much appreciated and apologies if I have left something out.

Advertisement