Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

A beetle resting up in what I am told was a crash repair shop.

NBvREmH.jpg

It is one of these:
    https://beetle.ie/your-stories/the-marathon-beetle/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

davycha wrote: »
    Partly guessed as much , that Beetle is there for at least 15 years , I often pass it and wonder what's its history , its definitely been stored in a good dry space.
    I must try to find out more about it .

Looks like barnfinds are still there to be had:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

NrgEtg7h.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

not a classic but don't know where else to put this (apart from in a ditch in Co Galway)

523307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Oh shes a classic allright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Is that on one of the islands tc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

If that was on an island it would still be running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

Would you believe only about 5 miles from Eyre Square Duke.
    I passed my test in one of these - my Dads '84 957cc, way back when, so always smile when I see one, no matter the condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Oh shes a classic allright

how could a reasonably early Fiesta not be a classic at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Spotted this Metro sitting in a driveway while out on a new morning walk route yesterday, been sitting a while. I actually really like these Metros. It looks really original and untouched, how rusty could it be :D

523712.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Testacalda wrote: »
    Spotted this Metro sitting in a driveway while out on a new morning walk route yesterday, been sitting a while. I actually really like these Metros. It looks really original and untouched, how rusty could it be :D

While it's on concrete, it has some chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Testacalda wrote: »

Marvellous, but what’s inside the GARAGE !

I had a metro for a few year, and i used to do my own suspension repairs.

As any garage I took it to used then wrong fluid to refill it, citroen stuff. It seemed to be the thing
    to do. I knew a few cars that had suspension issues within 3 months of getting new units fitted.

The cure was to use the recommended Rootes fluid, and it worked a treat. I used to fill them and pressurise them
    with a central heating plumbing test rig. 100% everytime. Garages of the day filled with green citroen fluid
    and pressurisd the crap out of them. A disaster waiting to happen.The citroen stuff played havoc with the seals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kadman wrote: »
    The cure was to use the recommended Rootes fluid, and it worked a treat.

Rootes Group? That'll be Hillman, Humber, Singer, etc. Flogged to Chrysler and then to Peugeot.

British Motor Corportation / British Leyland Motor Corporation / Leyland Cars / Austin Rover Group/MG Rover or whatever they were that week for many years had Unipart doing the parts side.

Anyway, it's Moulton Hydragas, it's also got green stuff, but not LHM, very bright luminous green water-based fluid - roughly half water to half ethanol with some dye and poison to stop it being drunk.

The problem with Hydragas is that over the years the nitrogen leaks out of them. To get the trim height of the suspension back to book, excessive pressure on the fluid side is sometimes used, which exacerbates the nitrogen issue. When you could get them, if they went hard, they could just be changed. When you can't get them, you need to add a valve of some sort to the sphere to recharge the nitrogen.

It's nice when it works, but it's a bit of a chore when it doesn't as nobody has the tools handy to do a proper job.

Metros of that generation have a weird Hydragas set up. The front displacers are independent and the rear ones are connected side-to-side. Even the suspension's inventor Dr Moulton had a Metro with them connected front-to-rear on each side, so god only knows what the management were thinking.

I prefer the bounciness of the older Hydrolastic, which tends to age a bit better being gas-less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Spotted these on the same property in Inis Mor.

40FipSCh.jpg

The Merc is definitely abandoned and the 2 beemers have been sitting there for a while

QWnlAN0h.jpg

The life of cars on the islands is very different. Having spent many years on islands off the Galway / Mayo coast, cars that look abandoned most likely aren't. When the first scrappage scheme came about, I shipped more than 30 cars and vans across. VW's usually lasted three years as did most German cars. Jap cars would last a year if you were lucky. I didnt bother shipping any French or Italian stuff across!

w124man wrote: »
    The life of cars on the islands is very different. Having spent many years on islands off the Galway / Mayo coast, cars that look abandoned most likely aren't. When the first scrappage scheme came about, I shipped more than 30 cars and vans across. VW's usually lasted three years as did most German cars. Jap cars would last a year if you were lucky. I didnt bother shipping any French or Italian stuff across!

Did you ship any VW type 3's over there:D:D

Did you ship any VW type 3's over there:D:D

Type 3 or T3?

I shipped a T3 over but took it back a year later

w124man wrote: »
    Type 3 or T3?

I shipped a T3 over but took it back a year later

No , type 3. Fastback, Variant, Notchback

No , type 3. Fastback, Variant, Notchback

No. There were a few over there in the past. A lot of Mk1 Golf and Jetta's died over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Prussia Street

RyrZwI0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Datsun Laurel ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Datsun Laurel ????

I was thinking carina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

There have been pics of this one on here(?) before. IIRC, it was identified as a ‘78 Toyota Crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Old Leyland (I think) , Pinnock Hill Swords.

IMG-20200918-170137.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

IMG-20200918-170137.jpg

opposite the Texaco at the junction of Airside? year or two ago you could see that clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

IMG-20200918-170137.jpg

There she is in 2009:

527503.JPG

Is it a Noyeks truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

There she is in 2009:

527503.JPG

Is it a Noyeks truck?

At this stage I think its more "it was"

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Spotted this two crispy W123 Mercs while out for a stroll today, there was a third more solid one down the way a bit, also on an old Dublin reg.

### RZE is about '79??

533779.jpg

Not abandoned as such, but in waiting i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes RZE would be early '79.
    Possibly using one as a parts car.
    Pity they are not indoors, the winter won't be kind to them.

Advertisement