Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Can I double check this.
    My NCT expires on the January 2021.
    When I click into the website it says my NCT is valid until May 2021.
    If I get a dat for a test November or December will my my NCT be valid for a year from that date or will they give it to me from my January date?

Book it for within 90 days of the May date.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 a25c

I have a covid extension from September to January...question is ,after passing test in January does my test then expire in 12 months from time of passing or revert to original date September?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Went to NCT Centre in Naas on Friday evening for part 2 of the "Dodgy Lift" test. Centre was closed due to a power failure. I was told to go home and re-book. I have just discovered they have charged my card for a missed test. There were loads of people waiting around, check if you are one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

ive read about both options being used

• Registered Users Posts: 81,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

12 months from January. If you did it 90 days before January it would be a year from that test date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It will revert back to when the original expiration date was, in this case September.

Had my NCT done 2 weeks ago and this was the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Mine was due up in March, extended out to July. Had the test done at the start of September and the disk has July has the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

a25c wrote: »
    I have a covid extension from September to January...question is ,after passing test in January does my test then expire in 12 months from time of passing or revert to original date September?

I'm in the same boat, no, if passed in January you'll only get a cert up to original expiry date. If you complete test within 30 days of original date (near impossible with delays) you'll get the standard 12 month cert.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If your test was due before we went into lockdown, your original date remains the same, if your test was due after 27th March it will have gotten the 4 month extension and that will be your new date going forward.
    Say also for example your car was due mid January, what I would do is forget about the lift inspection if it’s already done, let it go past it’s retest date and book it in for a date within 90 days of its expiry, then you’ll get until January 2022. Example, expires 20th January 2020, full test 23rd October on a >10 year old car , passes, new expiry date is 20th January 2022.

If your test was due before we went into lockdown, your original date remains the same, if your test was due after 27th March it will have gotten the 4 month extension and that will be your new date going forward.
    Say also for example your car was due mid January, what I would do is forget about the lift inspection if it’s already done, let it go past it’s retest date and book it in for a date within 90 days of its expiry, then you’ll get until January 2022. Example, expires 20th January 2020, full test 23rd October on a >10 year old car , passes, new expiry date is 20th January 2022.

Just to be clear, mine was due August 31st, now extended to December 31st, are you saying if I get my NCT done say in December, I'll get a full 12 months cert? I understand original expiry date of August would still apply, meaning I'll get a cert for 8 months? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just to be clear, mine was due August 31st, now extended to December 31st, are you saying if I get my NCT done say in December, I'll get a full 12 months cert? I understand original expiry date of August would still apply, meaning I'll get a cert for 8 months? Thanks
    If you do your test no more than 90 days before December 31st, your new cert will expire on December 31st 2021.

Folk who got an extension should forget what their original expiry dates were. They're history. No longer in any way relevant and have absolutely no bearing on things from here on.

Quackster wrote: »
    If you do your test no more than 90 days before December 31st, your new cert will expire on December 31st 2021.

Folk who got an extension should forget what their original expiry dates were. They're history. No longer in any way relevant and have absolutely no bearing on things from here on.

Thanks, perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

My NCT was due December but because of the delay its now March. If im stopped between Jan and March what do i show the guards to prove this- a printout of the updated due date?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

My NCT was due December but because of the delay its now March. If im stopped between Jan and March what do i show the guards to prove this- a printout of the updated due date?

You won’t have to show them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

No the guards know everything extended by 4 months
    Mine was due in June and I was stopped in august and he never mentioned it as new date is October

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You won’t have to show them anything.

But the stub will display an expired due date so they wont know the difference between a genuine lapse and the delay due to Covid.

NCT advising all their records have been shared with Gardai, they also advise, continuing display of current NCT cert, basically Gardai will be aware of extensions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

mines due in the end of Oct. However when I go to the NCT site its prompting me to book January 12th 21 and that the due date is 01/03/2021

Whats the best approach here, do i need a new disc for upto 01/03/21?

skinny90 wrote: »
    mines due in the end of Oct. However when I go to the NCT site its prompting me to book January 12th 21 and that the due date is 01/03/2021

Whats the best approach here, do i need a new disc for upto 01/03/21?

No, if your NCT due date extended, that's it, there's no cert issued for extra few months, essentially if you book before new expiry date, your booking it early. As explained previously, Gardai have record of all extended dates and continue to display current disc. There really is no point in booking new NCT until nearer new expiry date.

Did you not get a not letter of deferral?

No, if your NCT due date extended, that's it, there's no cert issued for extra few months, essentially if you book before new expiry date, your booking it early. As explained previously, Gardai have record of all extended dates and continue to display current disc. There really is no point in booking new NCT until nearer new expiry date.

I didnt receive a letter no...im just confused its directing me to January and if I select oct im getting a warning message

"COVID 19 Extension Could Apply. If you continue with this booking then a VOLUNTARY EARLY TEST will apply and your test due date in the future will change to an earlier date."

• Advertisement

Forget your original due date
    Your new date is now March
    You don’t get any deferral letters or discs . If you book outside of 90 days of your new date it’s classed as voluntary test. You need to be looking at dates from end of January onwards
    In essence everyone got extra 4 months added on to their current nct

Forget your original due date
    Your new date is now March
    You don’t get any deferral letters or discs . If you book outside of 90 days of your new date it’s classed as voluntary test. You need to be looking at dates from end of January onwards
    In essence everyone got extra 4 months added on to their current nct

Ok that’s what I wanted to know, thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Letter ?. I got a text yesterday to say that the test was deferred until February next. There wasn't even a reg no on the text

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Letter ?. I got a text yesterday to say that the test was deferred until February next. There wasn't even a reg no on the text
    Maybe it depends on individual settings on the NCT database. I got a letter about the deferral.

Quackster wrote: »
    Maybe it depends on individual settings on the NCT database. I got a letter about the deferral.

Me too, maybe they've changed method of communication although letter helpful to have in car, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do the test centres take cash?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Doubtful as test has to be booked online and with debit/credit card

You can’t book without a debit/ credit card. - it’s deducted on the day - you don’t even need to show it when you arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, I was there yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Doubtful as test has to be booked online and with debit/credit card

If you are on the reserve list you can't pay in advance. You can pay on the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement