Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father Ted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

fontanalis wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Jack wears thin after a few repeat viewings? I found myself cringing a few times at recent viewings.

I was never a big fan of the father jack bits.

Apart from when he goes to an AA meeting, after he buys a pint in the pub, the other guy tries to stop him, and then you just see an ambulance with the siren on.

Also, "that would be an Ecumenical matter", was classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

marathont wrote: »
    I was never a big fan of the father jack bits.

Apart from when he goes to an AA meeting, after he buys a pint in the pub, the other guy tries to stop him, and then you just see an ambulance with the siren on.

Also, "that would be an Ecumenical matter", was classic.

The ecumenical matter bit was deadly but there's only so many times you can listen to some one shout drink, feck, girls, arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

Wonder if he'll be shouting that in the Woolpack,fantastic job for him as the whole village spend most of their lives in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Jacks flashbacks to his golden days of priesthood were amazing, aswell as the 'moreeeee water' scene and 'NUNS, REverrse. I do think that they could have gotten more from Frank Kelly but Jack was 1 dimensional.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love Father Ted so much. :D
    I'm going to dig out my Ted DVD's and have a look at the Sheep episode tomorrow- haven't seen it in aaaages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

"Go on......my son"

The soccer episode actually had what seemed like a good scene cut, the women sitting around a table at half-time and talking like pundits in a studio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Only eejits quote Fr ted!:D

What a comedy, i wish Dermot Morgan was alive. He'd have some craic pulling the piss out of our gob****e politicians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Fr ted was great, but it is repeated way to often on RTE two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The caravan episode is absolute class.
    Ted to Dougall: "Ok, one last time. These are small... but the ones out there are far away."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    Fr ted was great, but it is repeated way to often on RTE two.

Yip I agree...and its a constant reminder of how there hasnt been a good Irish sitcom since then.

Its still brilliant though, especially Len Brennan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Definitely the best Irish comedy show. One of my lecturers in college was Fr.Jacks brother and he was the absolute image of him, I'd imagine he got pretty sick of the muffled "Feck, Drink, Arse" comments from around the room after a while.

I can't say I have any favourite bit but some of the most memorable for me were the time Ted has a flashback to when Dougal looked after a funeral for him and the hearse was on fire and an ambulance on the way, brilliant.

Also, when the priest with the squeaky voice, Fr.Purcell was talking about his favourite humming noise and uttered the brilliant monologue with my favourite line in bold;

Father Purcell: This is a piece of advice my father gave to me. Now this refers not only to lagging, but all forms of insulation. He said "dont ever"...no, wait, it was "always"...no er, "never, never" - oh wait now, I've forgotten. Never mind. Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge humming and the second one, now thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards. Now if you push me to it, I'd have to say my favourite colour is grey. No, blue. A soft blue with a hint of grey. No, orange. Yes, orange. I remember now. I had an extension put on the house, and I put it on the extension, so the house is in a circle now, you see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Dougal: Who are you? What are you doing here?
    Father Ted: This is Father Buzz Cagney. He's here on a short visit. He's from America.
    Dougal: America, eh? We were just talking about that fella Kurt Cobain. He was from America. Imagine blowing your head off with a shot-gun. How'd he manage to survive that?
    Ted: He didn't, Dougal... he died.
    Dougal: Oh right.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

4logo.gifsorry2.gif
    brown_blank.gif
    We are currently undertaking essential system maintenance on www.channel4.com.
    We apologise for the inconvenience and expect to be back with a full service shortly.
    webteam.gif

i just wanted to watch father ted after reading the thread:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

"But best of all the Chinese people themselves. Look at them there, aren't they great? The Chinese; a great bunch of lads."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I hear you're a racist now Father. How did you get interested in that type of thing?

Only, the farm takes up most of my day, and when I get home, I only have time to have a cup of tea. I mightn't be able to devote myself full-time to the oul racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Definitely the best Irish comedy show. One of my lecturers in college was Fr.Jacks brother and he was the absolute image of him, I'd imagine he got pretty sick of the muffled "Feck, Drink, Arse" comments from around the room after a while.

I can't say I have any favourite bit but some of the most memorable for me were the time Ted has a flashback to when Dougal looked after a funeral for him and the hearse was on fire and an ambulance on the way, brilliant.

Also, when the priest with the squeaky voice, Fr.Purcell was talking about his favourite humming noise and uttered the brilliant monologue with my favourite line in bold;

Father Purcell: This is a piece of advice my father gave to me. Now this refers not only to lagging, but all forms of insulation. He said "dont ever"...no, wait, it was "always"...no er, "never, never" - oh wait now, I've forgotten. Never mind. Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge humming and the second one, now thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming. I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards. Now if you push me to it, I'd have to say my favourite colour is grey. No, blue. A soft blue with a hint of grey. No, orange. Yes, orange. I remember now. I had an extension put on the house, and I put it on the extension, so the house is in a circle now, you see...

And we ran the electric of the gas and the gas of the electric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I showed my students in CHina the double Bishop Brennan episode and a song for Europe and they absolutely loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

There he is back from the dead, just like yer man....E.T.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I was thinking today, if Fianna Fail used more Father Ted quotes I'd be much more forgiving of this whole ballsed up economy.

I think if Ivor Callely gave a press release dressed as a priest pisstakingly commenting "The money was just resting in my account". I'd nearly let him away with it.

They could do a Fr Ted sketch similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hYYBJw5RA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards.

:D:D:D

The whole show was amazing. I thought I was sick of it having watched it so many times, but just reading this thread has me in stitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

The "All Priests Five-a-Side Over 75's Indoor Challenge Match" ep is my favourite!!

fr. romeo sensini is my idol!

mrs doyle: go on..................my son!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

best show ever - personally its impossible to pick a favourite episode i love em all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

"...and when it yawns, it sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a couple of hens around a barrel... and it has no eyebrows, except on Saturdays."

Got to love Dougal...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Father Purcell was immense.

One of my favourite elements of Father Ted was the typically mental names - Father Benny Cake and Todd Unctious and so on. I just love the feel of the Father Ted character names - weird, but just about believable. No matter how many times I see it, it's the attention to bizarre little details - the "fecking Greeks" woman has the most Irish looking plastic bags I've ever seen in my life, they might as well say "HEATONS" on them or something - and the surreal little throwaway bits like Dougal's "The ants are back, Ted" or the giant box of teabags Mrs. Doyle is buying in Night of the Nearly Dead.

I don't think anything ever devised has ever made my mam laugh as hysterically and as often as Mrs. Doyle's "RIDE ME SIDEWAYS WAS ANOTHER ONE!". Doesn't matter how many times she sees or hears that bit, it sends her into fits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"I love my brick."

Did any of ye ever read the Father Ted Parochial Magazine book? It was written by Mathews & Linehan, in the style of, well, a series of parochial magazines. It's in keeping with the slightly more surreal elements of life on the Island - there are ads in the magazines for a shop that sells wooden toes, and stuff like that - and a rundown of the Top 100 Priests including one who spontaneously combusted.

Bits of it made me cry with the laughter, well worth a read if you're looking for more Father Ted stuff and you know the shows off by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Dusted off the box set and watched "A Christmassy Ted" the other night, was in tears laughing at some of it!

"Ah great, mass! Father Ultan Crosbie is doing it, I'm a huge fan of his, he gives good mass... he really, he really knows how to work the altar. Look at that chalice work - effortless!" :D

Father Ted wrote:
    Chairman Mao. Leader of the communist party in China. Probably the biggest communist party in China...and in my view ;) the best!

lol :D

Bet you anything that if you asked After Hours to organise a celebration of Irish diversity, it would end up uncannily similar to Ted's "Isn't China great?" thing.

Also:

"I feel Fearless... like Jeff Bridges in that movie."

"I haven't seen that one."

"Not many people have Dougal, it's probably a bad reference. Anyway-"

• Advertisement

"Who is that silver haired priest?"

"A Bunch of cowboys Ted!!"

"You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now would you father??"

Advertisement