Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths Ex Help

Options
  • 18-04-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Could someone please tell me how to work out this qs.

I cannot post attatchments but its on pg 50 qs7 all and 9 part 3 text and tests 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

i) x=-2,1,3
    ii) x=1.4 or x=2.8
    iii) x³-2x²-5x=0 -> x²-2x-5x+6=0+6=6
    Y=6 x=-1.5 or x=0
    No: because a horizontal line will cut the graph at more than one point
    Surjective: any horizontal line will cut the graph at least once

9 iii) limx³-64 ÷x²-16 = x²+4x+16÷x+4
    = (4)²+4(4)+16÷4+4 = 48÷8= 6

• Registered Users Posts: 15 2Fast2C

i) x=-2,1,3
    ii) x=1.4 or x=2.8
    iii) x³-2x²-5x=0 -> x²-2x-5x+6=0+6=6
    Y=6 x=-1.5 or x=0
    No: because a horizontal line will cut the graph at more than one point
    Surjective: any horizontal line will cut the graph at least once

9 iii) limx³-64 ÷x²-16 = x²+4x+16÷x+4
    = (4)²+4(4)+16÷4+4 = 48÷8= 6

Hi, thank you so much for the help, but can you tell me how you got the answers for part (i) and (ii) in Q7

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

For i) If you look at the graph and you will see 6 black dots. The black dots at 0 on the x axis are -2, 1 and 3. This is the answer because f(x)=0

For ii) Again look at the graph, this time on the Y axis. The second line from o says -4, above this at the next line, draw a horizontal line. This will be your -2. Where that line touches off the red line place line up touching the x axis. This will roughly show the answer as 1.4 and 2.8

I hope my explanation isn't too complicated :o

For i) If you look at the graph and you will see 6 black dots. The black dots at 0 on the x axis are -2, 1 and 3. This is the answer because f(x)=0

For ii) Again look at the graph, this time on the Y axis. The second line from o says -4, above this at the next line, draw a horizontal line. This will be your -2. Where that line touches off the red line place line up touching the x axis. This will roughly show the answer as 1.4 and 2.8

I hope my explanation isn't too complicated :o[/QUOTE
    GOT IT THANKS A MILL !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement