Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bambi - Live Action

• 25-01-2020 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Is Nothing Sacred Anymore!

Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Lindsey Beer will write the adaptation of the 1942 animated Disney classic
    The studio has hired Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel, Tomb Raider) and Lindsey Beer (Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, Chaos Walking) to pen the screenplay for the live-action remake.

Depth of Field, the production banner run by Chris and Paul Weitz and Andrew Miano and which is coming off the success of indie darling The Farewell, will produce the new iteration.

The original movie, released in 1942, told the story of a young fawn named Bambi as he learns his place in the forest. With his two best friends, a rabbit named Thumper and a skunk named Flower, Bambi comes of age as he faces the joys and heartache — cue the loss of a parent — of growing up.

The film received three Oscar nominations — best song, best score and best sound — but was not initially held in high esteem as it is in modern times.

Insiders say the studio views Bambi as a type of companion piece to its remakes The Jungle Book and The Lion King, which were not live-action per se but certainly made to look that way. The two, both hits (Lion King generated $1.65 billion when it was released last year), were made using envelope-pushing CG technology to create ground-breaking photo-realistic and immersive worlds of nature. The studio is cognizant that Bambi is less epic in scope and story and is not aiming to shoehorn a larger narrative onto the classic tale.

The live-action remake continues to pay off for Disney as the last two outings, Jon Favreau's Lion King and Guy Ritchie's Aladdin, were billion-dollar grossers. Upcoming in the pipeline are The Little Mermaid, starring Halle Bailey, and David Lowrey's take on Peter Pan, titled Peter and Wendy.

Depth of Field is already working on a Disney live-action remake as it is in active development on Pinocchio which has Robert Zemeckis directing.

Robertson-Dworet and Beer are two of the most sought after tentpole writers, with upcoming credits that range from Warner Bros.' Hello Kitty (Beer) to Fox/Disney's Andy Weir adaptation Artemis (Robertson-Dworet) to Universal's female Fast & Furious spinoff (both). Along with fellow writer Nicole Perlman, they run production banner Known Universe, which focuses on female-fronted genre stories.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bambi-remake-works-1272457

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

We need to retire the phrase ‘live action’ for these films as they’re CG animations.

Also brings me great joy that Disney will soon run out of back catalogue to shamelessly plunder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"live action". Well, it'll probably make a gazillion dollars cos despite being creatively dead eyed and uninspired, the Lion King did well. All four released in quick succession did IIRC, bar maybe Dumbo

Hot Take: the Transformers movies at least have some semblance of creative intent, and are more honest, authentic Blockbusters than these Live Action cash ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing they won't make Black Cauldron as think that was a flop.

James Bond already gave us a live action Bambi and Thumper

GW396H242

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We need to retire the phrase ‘live action’ for these films as they’re CG animations.

Also brings me great joy that Disney will soon run out of back catalogue to shamelessly plunder.

I'd say there's be Lion King 2030, Mulan 2031, Snow White 2032, etc before you know it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I've only seen The Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast remakes. Both were ok for what they were but I haven't felt the urge to revisit them when I already have the original classic versions on my shelf.

Haven't seen The Lion King but will probably watch it and this new Bambi on Disney+ at some point out of curiosity, if I have nothing else to watch at that time.

Only way for studios to listen is to vote with your wallet. The less money these "live action" remakes make, the less of them we will see being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'd say there's be Lion King 2030, Mulan 2031, Snow White 2032, etc before you know it.

Disney 2028: "We're gonna make an animated remake of the 2019 The Lion King! And then in 2040, we're gonna make a CGI remake of that! And then in 2050... 2060...... MONEY MONEY MONEY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

At this stage, nothing shocks me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What makes you think they won't plunder Pixar's movies too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What makes you think they won't plunder Pixar's movies too?

Odds of Disney making 'live action' Pixar movies:

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001/1

So it's somewhat likely.. .. .. 'somewhat'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh, I expect that in my lifetime, Toy Story will be rebooted / remade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement