Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

David Copperfield

• 23-01-2020 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a post about the new Armando Iannucci's new movie, The Personal History of David Copperfield, which opens tomorrow, Friday, 24/01/2020. It's getting five star reviews everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Heading along to see it over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Interested to see this. I was a little let down by TDOS. Very funny and biting at times but felt it lost momentum for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Hopefully they include a scene where he makes the statue of liberty disappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I saw this last night and loved it. I've not read the book so can't comment on it as an adaptation but it's really heart warning and very funny film with a fantastic cast. I'm haven't enjoyed Hugh Laurie this much in a long time, he steals every scene. No doubt some people will take issue with some of the casting but the films ignore the issue of race completely and never comments on it which was a breath of fresh air. What I would say is don't go in expecting a classic Iannucci satire, this is a Dickens period comedy through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is it as good as the WC Fields version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it on Friday, and I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Next up, Oliver Twist as an aborigine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

vriesmays wrote: »
    Next up, Oliver Twist as an aborigine.

In England? I doubt it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A smart, playfully crafted film that IMO represented a welcome leap for Iannucci stylistically. Death of Stalin left me cold but this was a lovely afternoon at the cinema - a whirlwind of energy and characters and ideas that always seem well suited to the story being told.

My one not insignificant problem with it is that it’s such a whirlwind that it tired me out. By the time the last act rolled around I was feeling weirdly exhausted :pac: I admire the degree to which it slams on the accelerator for the most part, but yeah a lot of the emotional and character beats towards the end missed their mark for me because they were delivered so swiftly and in such relentless succession.

Overall, though, it’s a exceedingly pleasant watch - and one of those cases of a director excelling by challenging themselves with material you wouldn’t necessarily assign to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer! It looks fun!

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    Trailer! It looks fun!

It's been and gone, you'll have to wait for the DVD release

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Quartzy99

Have to say I was very disappointed by this - don't know where the five star reviews are coming from.
    Acting was fine, but film was meandering and dull, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as I caught this yesterday and sorry it came & went in the cinema without much fuss. An absolute treat. A joyous, effortless romp of a film; almost breathlessly paced, mining a distinctly comedic approach to Copperfield's life than the more tragic tone of Dickens' original work. Given Ianucci's CV, the very existence of this project deserves respect, as comedy artists rarely step out of their comfort zone. The near polar opposite to "Death of Stalin". While little of Ianucci's trademark barbed humour was present, it was replaced instead with high spirits and an abundance of empathy or decency, his natural wit and instincts intact.

Maybe the Dickens purists would crib at the rejigging of those themes and tone, but the feature was like a beautifully balanced dessert: sweet but not saccharine; beautifully plated (with almost Gilliam'esque compositions and surrealist touches); easy to enjoy, while leaving a pleasant afterglow in its wake. The entire cast were magnetic, but Dev Patel carried the whole thing with infectious charisma. If there was one quibble in the whole production, it was that the pace was nearly too breakneck, resulting in a slightly rushed last act. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bumping the thread as I caught this yesterday and sorry it came & went in the cinema without much fuss.

I'm a big fan of Ianucci's so will definitely check

You write reviews with great aplomb by the way, I'm guessing you blog for a film website or similar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Ianucci's so will definitely check

You write reviews with great aplomb by the way, I'm guessing you blog for a film website or similar?

Ha, flattered but no; I write as a hobby, that's it. No designs on film criticism, but do think it's important that I at least try to articulate the sensations I got from a film - especially the ones I genuinely enjoyed (or sometimes, really hated 'cos rants are cathartic lol).

Maybe it's just the mood of the times, but this quickly shot up my list of Films of the Year.

I've heard Iannucci's "Avenue 5" isn't the best, and has struggled to capture the same comedic heights he previously set so been slow to pick that one up.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've heard Iannucci's "Avenue 5" isn't the best, and has struggled to capture the same comedic heights he previously set so been slow to pick that one up.

It has its moments and it's a really good premise but honestly the whole first season felt like a pilot, setting up the scenario and stakes. I think the second season should be better especially now because they can now reflect more of reality given the current situation. There was one particular scene from the first season which I saw people use to represent the "Covid19 is a hoax" crowd. If they run with that, they're onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Added to amazon prime

Good to hear; anyone looking for a film to brighten their spirits would do well to check this out.

Advertisement