Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1917 [Sam Mendes]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

I loved it. Enjoyed it much more that Dunkirk.

I thought the 'one shot' style was amazing. Like you were there in the moment with the character.

Only bit that was a bit unrealistic was the letter staying dry. I was convinced he was going to give him letter + he couldn't read it + would go ahead with the siege.

Decent movie but for me wasn't a patch on Dunkirk

Dunkirk was far better at creating tension and dread and the sound design and music were in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Watched this tonight, and I was overwhelmed by how good it is.

Now I'm not as much of a cinephile as others in this forum, but I would have it up there as one of the best films I have ever seen.

The camera work was amazing. I mean there wasn't much action scenes if you think about it, but it was shot in such a way that you got a feel for the war-zone. Cramped conditions in the trenches, bodies strewn all over the place left for the rats, demolished buildings, massive fecking craters. That scene with the rat and the trip wire was mind-blowing.

I know there were a few flaws here and there (the letter staying dry being the biggest for me), but christ it was enthralling throughout.

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and the leading actor wasn't even nominated ?? shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Morgans

saw it last night, found it somewhat boring. Can appreciate why the film maker aficionados do, but didnt care enough about the characters to be overly concerned with their fate. Stuffed with symbolism and begging to be pored over by film fans, maybe at the expense of character/narrative. Would make a good video game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Morgans

Comfortably the worst of this year's awards-contenders - and I really didn't like JoJo Rabbit much at all.

Since pseudo 'one-take' films have been done before, filmmakers need a really good reason to utilise it now - to make it feel fresh and different. Here, it comes across as little more than Mendes showing off. Given the seams are so obvious, IMO the decision to fake one take emerges as a crippling creative limitation. Rather than proving a more immersive experience, the choreography and artificial nature of events only draw attention to themselves. Some weak digital effects don't help. Ultimately, for me it was like those opening sequences to games where you're led down a corridor or something as the credits play and you see stuff happening behind glass. That, but two hours long and a mediocre war film. At least with something like Victoria or Russia Ark you can marvel at the logistics of maintaining the choreography for an entire running time - this doesn't even have that, so frequent are the cuts.

Deakins is a good enough cinematographer that there are a few moments of awe - well, specifically the pretty spectacular sequence where we track through a ruined village as flares ominously illuminate the sky and cast eerily beautiful shadows. In fact, that sequence works so well one wonders how well individual scenes could have been shot without the self-imposed limitation of mimicking a single shot (one long and overt cut to black aside).

Sadly, though, that one sequence sticks out in what otherwise is a bland, unfulfilling war film that makes one big bad decision that has a knock-on effect on everything else (although jarringly Thomas Newman's score is one of the worst I've seen in any recent major release). Even as a tense, high-risk thriller it pales in comparison to Uncut Gems, which just happened to be released on the same day and is infinitely more suspenseful.

I endorse this review completely.

When the main tension of the movie is being so heavily signposted by the music, it always leaves me cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

El Duda wrote: »
    Here is the post credits sting for anyone that missed it:

What was that all about??

edit - Oh I get it. From another movie. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Much like someone else a few posts back I am far from a film expert and I am not into the technicalities of a film or special effects or whatever.

Only saw this last night and thought it was one of the best films I have seen now that I have had time to think it through. I am not sure I have ever seen a film where I felt suspense from almost one end to the next, my heart was in my mouth for so much of it. I actually think that the word immersive is appropriate to describe it, the film makers have actually managed to pick the viewer up and drop them right into the film alongside the characters. I felt a constant fear for them. I will say that I was left kind of empty at the end though, such a tense time for the character and then it was over, with no fanfare or much of a congratulations for his efforts, but, I suppose that is probably how the character of schofield might have felt anyway.

I looked up this thread because I wanted to read reviews of people that felt the same way I did, reviews from people who just wanted a night in the cinema and not necessarily a breakdown of how the film was made etc. I definitely came to the wrong place for that because the contributors in the thread are a different league of cinema goer to me though. I feel happy for myself that I didn't feel the need to seek out flaws or areas that didn't make sense because if I had watched it with a more critical eye instead of just sitting back and allowing myself to be drawn in I would have definitely had a lesser experience. It kind of makes you think about the balance a film maker needs to have, either make a perfectly formed film with no technical or storyline flaws to suit a critical audience who enjoy the breakdown such as that on this thread, or not complicate a film in an attempt to do that so that a more generic audience (like me) can enjoy themselves. it has certainly made me think anyway!

So, for anyone who just likes the cinema experience and a film worth paying to see, this is definitely a top rated film for me, has been put into my top films of all time I think! wish i had seen it in the IMAX now though!

Hmmmm. I don't equate cleaning up plot holes or inconsistencies as making a film more complicated. Either a film has problems or it doesn't. I enjoy a film more when it's fully coherent. I tried to ignore the issues with the latest Star Wars but it's just too messy. Although if a film grips me start to finish, like 1917 did, then it's doing a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Hmmmm. I don't equate cleaning up plot holes or inconsistencies as making a film more complicated. Either a film has problems or it doesn't. I enjoy a film more when it's fully coherent. I tried to ignore the issues with the latest Star Wars but it's just too messy. Although if a film grips me start to finish, like 1917 did, then it's doing a fantastic job.

no, doesn't always mean its more complicated but the plot holes in this film were so minor that if they had to add in pieces about justifying how they sent the message this way over another way or about the presence of milk pails it probably would have taken away from the main thrust of the film. There will always be something to pick it so I am not sure they are worth the consideration of the film crew in cases like this.

• Advertisement

Morgans wrote: »
    I endorse this review completely.

When the main tension of the movie is being so heavily signposted by the music, it always leaves me cold.

I'm curious what you thought of Dunkirk in that case. That would be a completely different film without the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

greenttc wrote: »
    Much like someone else a few posts back I am far from a film expert and I am not into the technicalities of a film or special effects or whatever.

Only saw this last night and thought it was one of the best films I have seen now that I have had time to think it through. I am not sure I have ever seen a film where I felt suspense from almost one end to the next, my heart was in my mouth for so much of it. I actually think that the word immersive is appropriate to describe it, the film makers have actually managed to pick the viewer up and drop them right into the film alongside the characters. I felt a constant fear for them. I will say that I was left kind of empty at the end though, such a tense time for the character and then it was over, with no fanfare or much of a congratulations for his efforts, but, I suppose that is probably how the character of schofield might have felt anyway.

I looked up this thread because I wanted to read reviews of people that felt the same way I did, reviews from people who just wanted a night in the cinema and not necessarily a breakdown of how the film was made etc. I definitely came to the wrong place for that because the contributors in the thread are a different league of cinema goer to me though. I feel happy for myself that I didn't feel the need to seek out flaws or areas that didn't make sense because if I had watched it with a more critical eye instead of just sitting back and allowing myself to be drawn in I would have definitely had a lesser experience. It kind of makes you think about the balance a film maker needs to have, either make a perfectly formed film with no technical or storyline flaws to suit a critical audience who enjoy the breakdown such as that on this thread, or not complicate a film in an attempt to do that so that a more generic audience (like me) can enjoy themselves. it has certainly made me think anyway!

So, for anyone who just likes the cinema experience and a film worth paying to see, this is definitely a top rated film for me, has been put into my top films of all time I think! wish i had seen it in the IMAX now though!

The best way to look at any film is to just watch the story. If you are entertained, then you are entertained and that's all that matters.

Now, in saying that, I do tend to watch films with a critical eye myself. It's just the way I am now, after decades of movie watching. I think it becomes almost inevitable when you viewed and read about how movies are made over the years. Unfortunately, with a film like 1917, I will also tend to be critical of the subject matter, too, because of my other reading material.

But my own particular starting point is "am I being entertained by this?". If the answer's yes, even if there are little issues here and there, then the film's a winner. If the answer's no, then I'm going to start asking why.

In the case of '1917', once I got past the unrealistic central conceit of the story, it was a perfectly fine and well made film, with a great attention to period detail, albeit with a low key story. But one that is serviceably laid out in a relatively satisfying way.

I'm curious what you thought of Dunkirk in that case. That would be a completely different film without the score.

not the person you replied to but yes Dunkirk had a strong music score that was extensively used but that doesn't mean that it's not a much better film than 1917, which it is imo.

Dunkirk has a much better sense of dread and tension and the fighter plane scenes were fantastic. Also the large-scale boat scenes.

1917 was interesting and decent but beyond the one-shot conceit was not all that special.

also the plane crash scene was jarring in its improbability.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Dunkirk is so far ahead of 1917 imo. Amazed that people think 1917 is better.

glasso wrote: »
    not the person you replied to but yes Dunkirk had a strong music score that was extensively used but that doesn't mean that it's not a much better film than 1917, which it is imo.

Dunkirk has a much better sense of dread and tension and the fighter plane scenes were fantastic. Also the large-scale boat scenes.

1917 was interesting and decent but beyond the one-shot conceit was not all that special.

also the plane crash scene was jarring in its improbability.

'Dunkirk' falls over on its aerial scenes for me. They are almost a farce. Hardy's GOAT pilot gliding kill at the end was laughable. The scenes on the beach are accurately represented, though, and the sea section is well done too.

It's score, however, is one of the best things about it.

The biggest flaw in '1917' is its central premise. But you have to get over that and just enjoy the story, as low key as it is.

I wouldn't consider either film to be "special" myself.

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Dunkirk' falls over on its aerial scenes for me. They are almost a farce. Hardy's GOAT pilot gliding kill at the end was laughable. The scenes on the beach are accurately represented, though, and the sea section is well done too.

It's score, however, is one of the best things about it.

The biggest flaw in '1917' is its central premise. But you have to get over that and just enjoy the story, as low key as it is.

I wouldn't consider either film to be "special" myself.

I'd consider Dunkirk pretty special.

apparently some lad in the movie industry thinks it's not bad too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't argue that Dunkirk isn't a fairly good movie, but I wouldn't consider it anything special either personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dunkirk is a technical masterpiece of cinema, but emotionally, it was as visceral as frostbite. There was a cold detachment to the whole thing that made it hard to care or even be anxious for the characters or story. Intellectually I'd admire and praise the film without reserve, but instinctively it left me apathetic. 1917 at least had an immediacy of emotion and structure that made it easy to give a damn about its 2 main characters.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Dunkirk is a technical masterpiece of cinema, but emotionally, it was as visceral as frostbite. There was a cold detachment to the whole thing that made it hard to care or even be anxious for the characters or story. Intellectually I'd admire and praise the film without reserve, but instinctively it left me apathetic. 1917 at least had an immediacy of emotion and structure that made it easy to give a damn about its 2 main characters.

What emotional responses were you looking for?

At certain moments, I felt tense, excited, fear for the characters, myself. There's a lot to admire technically, for sure. But, yeh, I get what you mean. But I've always felt that Nolan's films can be a wee bit standoffish and I cannot think of a character of his that I like. I don't hate any of them. I just don't warm to them that much.

The aim of Dunkirk was not to be about the characters first and foremost - it is more about a dramatisation of a discrete and climatic event - and how bold was it to pick a military retreat as something to go for in that regard? The historic event is front and centre here.

The names of the characters are not laboured over at all for example.

So bringing to life the tension, worry and despair of the situation was the primary objective and I felt that that was excellently achieved.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    The aim of Dunkirk was not to be about the characters first and foremost - it is more about a dramatisation of a discrete and climatic event - and how bold was it to pick a military retreat as something to go for in that regard? The historic event is front and centre here.

The names of the characters are not laboured over at all for example.

So bringing to life the tension, worry and despair of the situation was the primary objective and I felt that that was excellently achieved.

I completely agree, but the first 30 or so minutes would be nothing without the overwhelming soundtrack, which was being used to diminish 1917 with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Reference quality picture and sound plus a Roger Deakins commentary................ yes please :D

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/1917-4K-Blu-ray/259242/#Review

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Agree with you.
    Dunkirk left me so cold.
    When I think about what happened in Dunkirk, the only movie I think about is Atonement and that amazing scene. You only have to watch that scene to get what happened in Dunkirk.
    1917 had some haunting characters that are unforgettable even if they are on the screen the matter of minutes. Not just the two leads. Andrew Scott's character for instance, Colin Firth's character. And so on.

otnomart wrote: »
    Agree with you.
    Dunkirk left me so cold.
    When I think about what happened in Dunkirk, the only movie I think about is Atonement and that amazing scene. You only have to watch that scene to get what happened in Dunkirk.
    1917 had some haunting characters that are unforgettable even if they are on the screen the matter of minutes. Not just the two leads. Andrew Scott's character for instance, Colin Firth's character. And so on.

Except nothing like that scene happened in Dunkirk in reality.

Nolan's version is far closer to the facts in depicting what the beaches looked like. The men were actually spaced out in small groups and lined up in an orderly fashion to await transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I enjoyed it. I have an acid test for rating a good movie. Did I check my watch? Would I watch it again? I did not check my watch and I probably would sit through it again, but not for a while. I liked the one shot technique, it suited the tension required behind enemy lines.

Solid enough film. There is plenty of scope to nit pick however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I thought 1917 was fantastic but I suspect like Dunkirk it is a cinematic experience, and not necessarily one for home viewing.

I got Dunkirk on DVD when it came out, and I'll admit I actually only watched to about the halfway point. It was just missing... something. It was the same with Avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It's interesting that people bring up comparisons of 1917 with Dunkirk - I suppose it's the war epic of both films.

They are very different films temporally, Dunkirk plays with the perception of time a lot more whereas 1917 is a portrayed as an unfolding ever present moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and 1917 doesn't have modern day bungalows in the background :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Its technical tour-de-force aside, quite an engaging film.The plot is one-track, mirroring the 'one-shot' style, so the ability to make it continuously engaging was also impressive. Despite its one-track plot, it's packed with many memorable moments, rather than just stuffed with spectacular scenes.
    I was glad it
    didn't have a Hollywood climactic ending
    - reflecting the reality of accomplishment and recognition in such epic and yet at times drudging and harrowing times/events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just gave this a rewatch after seeing it in cinema almost a year ago, it's actually even better than I remembered. So engaging from start to finish, and so well paced. Also gave Dunkirk a rewatch over Christmas and I think 1917 just edges it out.

Advertisement