Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭LizardKing

some ebay deals on these from Delonghi .. brand new (box damaged) ~ £199...

some others listed too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sme/delonghiuk/Save-up-to-15/so.html?_seedid=143455058194&_soffType=SaleEvent&_soffid=5753555200&_trksid=p2047675.m2197

I bought "De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200.S Bean To Cup Machine. BRAND NEW but Box Damaged " as a gift and am posting to Parcel Motel so hopefully fits. (~235 euro with revolut)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Selling my cafe corso over on adverts if anyone's interested. Haven't been drinking as much coffee of late and going to free up some counter space.
    http://www.adverts.ie/19546717

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

Donal94 wrote: »
    Selling my cafe corso over on adverts if anyone's interested. Haven't been drinking as much coffee of late and going to free up some counter space.
    Post a link bro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

LizardKing wrote: »
    some ebay deals on these from Delonghi .. brand new (box damaged) ~ £199...

some others listed too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sme/delonghiuk/Save-up-to-15/so.html?_seedid=143455058194&_soffType=SaleEvent&_soffid=5753555200&_trksid=p2047675.m2197

I bought "De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM4200.S Bean To Cup Machine. BRAND NEW but Box Damaged " as a gift and am posting to Parcel Motel so hopefully fits. (~235 euro with revolut)

It won't. Should have used parcel wizard

• as someone who much prefers a darker roast to some of the more floral flavours out there (cant stand eg the coffee angel type of reddish/muddy flavour) i would recommend starbucks espresso, lavazza espresso and i got a lovely cup using beans from carluccios of all places.

and don't mind anyone telling you you're doing it wrong, there's no accounting for taste!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

as someone who much prefers a darker roast to some of the more floral flavours out there (cant stand eg the coffee angel type of reddish/muddy flavour) i would recommend starbucks espresso, lavazza espresso and i got a lovely cup using beans from carluccios of all places.

and don't mind anyone telling you you're doing it wrong, there's no accounting for taste!

The starbucks beans are grand..people poo poo starbucks, but their espresso and sumatra beans are decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

as someone who much prefers a burnt roast to some of the more floral flavours out there (cant stand eg the coffee angel type of reddish/muddy flavour) i would recommend starbucks espresso, lavazza espresso and i got a lovely cup using beans from carluccios of all places.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭LizardKing

sweetie wrote: »
    It won't. Should have used parcel wizard

It "just" fit into the parcel motel .. collected today - its a pressie , box is a bit dented but looks brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

LizardKing wrote: »
    It "just" fit into the parcel motel .. collected today - its a pressie , box is a bit dented but looks brand new

Deadly! Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001EOMZ5E/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Loads of these available from Amazon Warehouse with minor scratches and blemishes for about €160 delivered (w/ 20% off the minute).

Just got my order in (might have got last one that didn't indicate any scratches / blemishes... nice!):

IMG-20200122-004732.jpg

• Advertisement

• great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭crank_1975

Has anyone else had an issue where the diffuser drops all the way down and blocks the tray from going in? If so how did you solve this? Thing is totally stuck and machine is out of action.

• crank_1975 wrote: »
    Has anyone else had an issue where the diffuser drops all the way down and blocks the tray from going in? If so how did you solve this? Thing is totally stuck and machine is out of action.

turn off and plug out, it should reset

it happens a bit, sometimes its just a one-off, if it starts to repeat the diffuser might need a clean/lube or if its in warranty get onto yr supplier

good folks in this very thread helped me out earlier on with similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭McSween

Mine was driving me mad a few weeks ago. I unplugged it for two days and used starbucks espresso beans and it started working (water flow). I then used the Blonde espresso and it trickled out on 2 cup setting but works out fine on 1 cup.

Strange machine. Ill need a hoover to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

McSween wrote: »
    Mine was driving me mad a few weeks ago. I unplugged it for two days and used starbucks espresso beans and it started working (water flow). I then used the Blonde espresso and it trickled out on 2 cup setting but works out fine on 1 cup.

Strange machine. Ill need a hoover to clean it.

Do you descale regularly? if you do and it's still working slowly, then dialling in a coarser grind should help.

stimpson wrote: »
    Do you descale regularly? if you do and it's still working slowly, then dialling in a coarser grind should help.

I only started using it on xmas day. I have it on the finest setting. I might experiment at the weekend. At the start nothing seemed right with it.

• McSween wrote: »
    I only started using it on xmas day. I have it on the finest setting. I might experiment at the weekend. At the start nothing seemed right with it.

finest setting is a little *too* fine in my experience for most beans

Yeah. You’re just grinding too fine. Read the manual before you adjust. The grinder must be grinding when you turn the adjustment dial.

You should aim for a single shot to pull an ounce of coffee in 25-30 sec. I find the left dial at 10:00 and the right at 2:00 is a good place to start. Alter the shot size to get an ounce and then dial in the time with the grind. My grinder is set to 4.5 for medium roast beans.

Oh, and don’t use the double shot button. It just doubles the water giving you an overextracted shot. Do two single shots instead.

• genuinely haven't noticed the double shot doing that. the puck of spent grounds is noticeably thicker etc

minimise the water going through it, sure. top up with boiling water from kettle after if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

Interesting article which might benefit those on the quest for the perfect coffee. It's all in the grind.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/22/maths-experts-secret-perfect-espresso

• Advertisement

genuinely haven't noticed the double shot doing that. the puck of spent grounds is noticeably thicker etc

minimise the water going through it, sure. top up with boiling water from kettle after if needed

I was curious about this so I pulled a double shot this morning. Pucks are identical - left is a single, right is a double. right looks slightly bigger as it's still wet.

500795.jpg

these are the shots - left is 2 singles, right is the double. the double crema is lighter in colour and the shot tastes noticeably weaker than the 2 singles.

500796.jpg

• stimpson wrote: »
    I was curious about this so I pulled a double shot this morning. Pucks are identical - left is a single, right is a double. right looks slightly bigger as it's still wet.

500795.jpg

these are the shots - left is 2 singles, right is the double. the double crema is lighter in colour and the shot tastes noticeably weaker than the 2 singles.

500796.jpg

fair play, i might well go back and have another look at my technique after that!

fair play, i might well go back and have another look at my technique after that!

No worries. I was just parroting what I had read on the web. It was interesting to check it out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just got this machine and very disappointed with the weak milk frother/steamer. The De Longhi Icona it replaces was streets ahead for making cappucinos etc. Any tips or tricks to increase output of the steamer?

Struggling to get a decent Americano out of this.. all a bit weak!

Currently have:

Grind Size: 1 (Minimum / Finest)
    Water Volume: Just Above Min
    Coffee Volume: Max

I do a double shot with above and then fill a 8oz / 240ml cup to roughly 4/5 full.

Any suggestions?

Basq wrote: »
    Struggling to get a decent Americano out of this.. all a bit weak!

Currently have:

Grind Size: 1 (Minimum / Finest)
    Water Volume: Just Above Min
    Coffee Volume: Max

I do a double shot with above and then fill a 8oz / 240ml cup to roughly 4/5 full.

Any suggestions?

Don’t use the double shot button. Use the single shot twice.

My grind is about 2, left dial is at 10:00 and right dial is at 2:00. (I forget which is which, but I remember what the dials are set to!)

I think that’s a good ballpark to start.

Agree. 2 singles is the best way. Can anyone recommend a good travel mug that isnt metal?

Thanks guys. Will give that a (single) shot.

With regards to a good travel cup - I personally like the glass KeepCup's.

If you can stretch a bit further, go for the Cork band ones.

They don't insulate fantastic mind but I just find they feel better in the hand than most.

Keep an eye on Warehouse Deals on Amazon and you can get KeepCup's quite cheap. e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/KeepCup-Changemakers-LongPlay-Bloom-Travel/dp/B07BYD5T35/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=KeepCup%27&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1584276279&s=warehouse-deals&sr=8-5 (bit feminine in colour but fantastic value at a tenner!)

Best insulated cup I own by far is metal so can't help there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ok.....we have lockdown issues.

My 4200 has decided that it feeds descaled.

Would any shops that are currently open in the Dubkin region have deacaler?

Should I risk using it in the meantime?

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ok.....we have lockdown issues.

My 4200 has decided that it feeds descaled.

Would any shops that are currently open in the Dubkin region have deacaler?

Should I risk using it in the meantime?

Thanks!!

Aldi often does in the specials section.

I'm sure a big sized Tesco would.

I use mine when the right light is on, often go a few days and several coffees later before I descale it.

Advertisement