Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IBS dental implants

• 07-01-2020 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Is there any where in Ireland that works with IBS dental implants?

It's a relatively new procedure for fitting implants and from what I can see it's still only in the states. I'm new to boards so I can't provide links if you check YouTube for IBS dental implants a few videos comes up. It's supposed to be superior and quicker and easier healing and less damage done to a bone/jaw. It's looks promising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Really bad one piece implants, avoid like the plague. A good practitioner will use a good implants, choose the dentist not the implant system. All implants are basically the same (except these crappy ones) but most good dentist stick to about 5 or 10 different ones that have been around for a long time and are well proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

owlbethere wrote: »
    Is there any where in Ireland that works with IBS dental implants?

It's a relatively new procedure for fitting implants and from what I can see it's still only in the states. I'm new to boards so I can't provide links if you check YouTube for IBS dental implants a few videos comes up. It's supposed to be superior and quicker and easier healing and less damage done to a bone/jaw. It's looks promising.

And why do you want IBS implants??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

And why do you want IBS implants??:confused:

They spelled it out in the last sentence

I think that Oral Surgeon (a very experienced implant surgeon) knows its just he is trying to tease out from the OP the reasons why the OP would feel equipped to decide what implants would be best for him, and why he would think flapless placements was a good idea or even a new idea.

We get this all the time, people google stuff, come across some marketing bumf and decide that they are now informed consumers and are going to make autonomous decisions regarding the specifics of treatment. Usually its best bring these people around with a series of pointed questions so that if they engage they happen upon the truth through their own (guided) logic rather than be diadatic and generally losing their interest as they think you have "researched" as much as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yea I get you but he shot down the idea without any good reason the op asked a simple question. His reason were simpler less invasive procedure with faster healing if oral sesrgion had good reasons why they aren't good implants he souls have said that. No wonder Irish dentist have a bad reputation. I have an implant and it was a long slow process with 4 visits over 6 months

• Advertisement

THink your reading in more than intended there spacehopper. The op might come back and say " I am really worried about having implants, he might tell us what implants he needs or something about his dental history, he might tell us he has very little bone or gum disease"....this information, the reason HE specifically wants this type of implant will allow a much better guided answer, and a far more reassuring answer so he is happy to trust a good surgeon to do a good job. There is a lot of combinations and permutations in this, and while I understand you have your experiance, others may have the experiance of 20 years and 1000's of different patients to call upon.

To quickly call all Irish dentist names is childish and more like something you cam here to say rather than are justified in saying. Irish dentists actually have excellent reputations around the world, and Oral Surgeon has answered thousands of questions without compensation on this forum for over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Yea I get you but he shot down the idea without any good reason the op asked a simple question. His reason were simpler less invasive procedure with faster healing if oral sesrgion had good reasons why they aren't good implants he souls have said that. No wonder Irish dentist have a bad reputation. I have an implant and it was a long slow process with 4 visits over 6 months

Hi SH, I shot down nothing in my question... Yes I was probably subsequently going to shoot it down but with valid reasons...

The OP likely read the implant company's own website and surprise surprise it said that their implants were the best in the world.... Funny when I look at a car manufacturers website it will tell me that a BMW or Opel or Dacia is the best car ever too...

The type of implant is only a small portion of why a procedure is successful or not. I have seen cheap implants placed well and expensive implants placed badly.

The OP looking for a specific type of implant with no real reason why is like me looking for a carpenter who only uses makita tools because they're great...

You seemed to join a few dots and conclude that I am a grumpy judgmental git, you're probably right on that but I'm right on the above....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I had two attempts at placing an implant, both failed. How rare is such a scenario?! That was after another tooth I had done, failed the first time, find the second and has been in there a few years and no issues...

fitzgeme, are you saying the IBS implants are bad, or the system is bad?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I had two attempts at placing an implant, both failed. How rare is such a scenario?! That was after another tooth I had done, failed the first time, find the second and has been in there a few years and no issues...

fitzgeme, are you saying the IBS implants are bad, or the system is bad?

Its a technical point, but single piece implants are a bad idea, and all the IBS implants are single piece, also flapless surgery is often a bad idea, except when done by a very careful practitioner. (any implant can be place flapless). A careful practitioner will not use one piece implants. So basically anyone using them is a novice who doesnt know what they dont know. Unfounded Confidence and online presence often have an inverse relationship to outcome

A lot of failed implants is uncommon and may hint at poor bone volume or quality assuming that they were placed properly.

Advertisement