Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BLACK FRIDAY:Google Home Hub/hub max/nest cam's/Routers etc.

• 19-11-2019 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Some nice discounts for black friday on the google uk store, well worth a look - eg home hub is a steal at about £59 , discounts starting from next week, usual parcel motel/addresspal probably needed :)
    Link : https://store.google.com/gb/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Not seeing the Nest Hub at £59?

Am I missing something?

Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Not seeing the Nest Hub at £59?

Am I missing something?

Thanks OP

Scroll down on the home page. The deals go live on Friday

Scroll down on the home page. The deals go live on Friday

Time for coffee. :o

Thank you.

Ordered 2 Friday morning, collected Saturday evening, ordered 1 more Sunday evening. :o

Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the nest doorbell any good? Would I need an electrician to install it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Do you need a UK address for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Parcel motel or the equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Yeah, I find it really useful.

Depending on your own set up, you may be able to do it yourself. I did mine myself but the voltage doesn't allow my doorbell to ring loudly, the chime doesn't move fast enough.

I have it hooked up to my google home anyway so that announces if anyone rings the bell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Still looking at the Nest Max versus my current Google Home but can't find much on sound comparison, would not like to have worse sound

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

As someone in another forum pointed out, Nest Wifi is almost the same price in Argos as the uk sale price https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4339186/Trail/searchtext%3ENEST+WIFI.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mexicanking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

I just bought the google nest and it is being sent to parcel motel.

I updated my card with them. Do I have to add a minimum of 11.85 to pm or will they simply deduct 3.95 from my card when the nest arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Just deducted for me when I updated

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

It's excellent, I have one for quite some time now and am really impressed. When away from the house I have it set to notify if it sees a person whether they ring the bell or not. Visitors are announced over the Google homes in the house and video feed comes up instantly on the home hub where you can talk to the person or give a pre determined reply. I installed myself, just beware that you will probably have to swap out the doorbell module that powers your existing doorbell in the 'fuse box' as the voltage is usually too low, that's what I had to do.

Nest Wi-Fi and Nest point on the way via parcel motel, happy days :) , thanks OP, oh wait that was me... Thanks me :D
    ( these bargains are costing me a fortune!!....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Moreilly wrote: »
    It's excellent, I have one for quite some time now and am really impressed. When away from the house I have it set to notify if it sees a person whether they ring the bell or not. Visitors are announced over the Google homes in the house and video feed comes up instantly on the home hub where you can talk to the person or give a pre determined reply. I installed myself, just beware that you will probably have to swap out the doorbell module that powers your existing doorbell in the 'fuse box' as the voltage is usually too low, that's what I had to do.

Have you a link to a video / guide on how to swap it out? I've just been living with it notifying me via google home or my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Ordered at 4 yesterday. No charge to my card yet. Got order email but no status update

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Harvey Norman seem to be undercutting the Google store by a fiver for the nest minis, €34 a pop: https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/connected-home-en/home-automation/google-home-mini-en/google-nest-mini-chalk.html

How would it work in a housing estate? It's not going to alert if someone walks past on the footpath is it?

• Advertisement

How would it work in a housing estate? It's not going to alert if someone walks past on the footpath is it?
    https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9207697?hl=en
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Going to buy either the nest mini for €34 or the original Google home for €49 in Harvey Norman. A lot of reviews online saying go with the nest mini as the Google home is 3 years old at this stage and doesn't offer a whole lot more. Anyone here have experience with both that could give a recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just got a nest wifi which is supposedly the same spec as a nest mini. I'd say if you want to listen to music the go for the full size home. The sound quality is a lot better. Otherwise the nest mini should theoretically respond faster with its inbuilt ML chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

corsav6 wrote: »
    Going to buy either the nest mini for €34 or the original Google home for €49 in Harvey Norman. A lot of reviews online saying go with the nest mini as the Google home is 3 years old at this stage and doesn't offer a whole lot more. Anyone here have experience with both that could give a recommendation?

I'd buy the hub from the UK Google site, it's about 15 quid more expensive but worth it to have the 6" display. It's handy for watching YouTube vids.

Indeed. Reason I ask is that I've a Hue Outdoor Sensor on the front of the house and you can adjust that too... It still triggers if someone is walking past on the footpath and the sensitivity is set to the minimum

Indeed. Reason I ask is that I've a Hue Outdoor Sensor on the front of the house and you can adjust that too... It still triggers if someone is walking past on the footpath and the sensitivity is set to the minimum
    the hue outdoor sensor and the nest cameras have a different approach to triggering with motion, the hue uses a pir type sensor ( similar to most normal floodlights ect..) but the nest has no pir - it just looks at the image coming from your camera and will detect motion in areas you have selected only

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROVER

Google home mini €19 in Dixons Dublin airport.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd buy the hub from the UK Google site, it's about 15 quid more expensive but worth it to have the 6" display. It's handy for watching YouTube vids.

+1.

I have 2 x Homes and 2 x Minis around the house.

Will be replacing the minis with the homes and the homes with the Nest Hubs. All the functionality, better speaker and the connection to Google Photos is just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Charlie19 wrote: »

Wouldn't have use for the screen at this time so I'll go with the speaker only version.
    I've reserved both the Google home and the Nest mini with Philips Hue in Argos so between now and tomorrow I'll check reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Does the Hub have a better speaker than the full size home?

Advertisement